Author Topic: Announcement of new additional amplifier boards for Blitzortung  (Read 4086 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
The Blitzortung website has announced a new series of ampliier boards.

Here is the announcement:

In a few weeks, we introduce a solution for the use of an electric antenna. Any wire or copper surface can be used as electric antenna. The antenna is connected to the small preamplifier PCB 14. The signal from the preamplifier can be passed through coaxial cable up to 30 meter to the amplifier PCB 13. Amplifier PCB 13 uses an adapted high-pass filter and in contrast to amplifier PCB 12 three different low-pass filters routed to the three input channels of the controller. The electric antenna should be at least 5 meters outside of living areas or houses, otherwise the interference of electrical household appliances can be too large. We will inform you here when the boards PCB 13 and PCB 14 are available.

The link to it follows:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:21:18 AM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Announcement of new additional amplifier boards for Blitzortung
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:47:04 AM »
I wonder if PCB 13 replaces the existing PCB 12, or is in addition to it. I would guess that it is in addition and goes into the 2nd input connector.

The PCB 14 looks like it might mount inside of a PVC pipe with cap.
I hope that you can buy the PCB 13/14 as a package and not require a complete new RED setup.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »
Your guess is as good an anyone's on the new board(s). I just hate being teased like this...  :lol:

If I read the announcement and the current Blitzortung manual correctly this new antenna board is going to be the E-field design that is mentioned in the manual.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »
RUMORS  :twisted:
Two separate boards... small preamp with direct antenna connection, (piece of wire, e.g.). Preamp  connects thru very High Quality 75 Ohm coax up to 100m (maybe more) to very precision-filtered Amp. Amp connects to controller with up to 30M Cat5 Shielded/grounded. E field detection approximately 300 miles (500km)range, long distance not being the issue for 2nd amp connection to current Red controller.  ;)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:54:26 PM »
Two separate boards... small preamp with direct antenna connection, (piece of wire, e.g.). Preamp  connects thru very High Quality 75 Ohm coax up to 100m (maybe more) to very precision-filtered Amp. Amp connects to controller with up to 30M Cat5 Shielded/grounded. E field detection approximately 300 miles (500km)range, long distance not being the issue for 2nd amp connection to current Red controller.  ;)

Hmmm, wonder if one could then use both an H-field and an E-field antenna simultaneously?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
 :-k

Same here, but I suspect that it is an either/or situation.
Might be a good excuse for another station....  \:D/

Greg

Hmmm, wonder if one could then use both an H-field and an E-field antenna simultaneously?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Sure, this pops up.  Just as my package from Egon shows up at the post office today.

I hope I'll be able to tack this onto my system that I'll start building shortly.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
Note from Egon:
The controller has two inputs, each with three channels. At each of the two inputs, both variants of the amplifier can be connected. It is not necessary to build a second controller, unless someone wants to connect more than two antenna systems :-)

(I am also amazed, what a great part we have developed.)

Note that it will take several weeks till we have any documentation.

From Cutty's dustbin  :roll:
It appears that both can be processed simultaneously.
(It is also possible that some 'earlier' released Controller kits may have had only one Cat5 connector, (as mine did) ... the proper connector would have to be obtained for Amp 2 connection.)

The new e-field preamp has extremely high gain, and is actually tuned down, and filtered specifically for certain known consistent interference sources, and rigid BW cut offs. If you look at the signal image on the "What's New Page", you'll note there are 3 different outputs from a signal for the e-field.   ;) There will be a tremendous amount of information available, and new capabilities as they are implemented.

The E-field system will be most effective for signals <500 km (300 mi) although its capability is much greater, depending on location. Any e-field signal beyond that range would be mostly unusable for the fine data being sought, and likely overcome by nearer sources.

The antenna and preamp MUST be well away from house mains etc., outside the structure, in a very quiet electrical environment. It is a powerful receiver. The ant/preamp distance-to-amplifier actual limits might blow some minds, so to prevent 'grey-cell' explosions, the maximum is likely to remain documented as "100m". The amp-to-controller limit will likely remain as currently specified.

Some experiments have proven very successful using only a beer-bottle cap as an antenna, which will make very convenient antenna fabrication for some of us.  =D&gt;

Antenna and preamp must be extremely weatherproof. I'd suggest the preamp board dimension to be <1" wide x <2.5" long. Amp approx. same dimensions as current... the E-field and H-field amps will NOT be interchangeable.

New Amp and Preamp add little to the power requirements, but some of our lower ended wall warts might need an upgrade... might watch for that issue. Powered as in current configuration with exception of 5v sent down (very long!) 75 Ohm coax to preamplifier. How does 5ma sound ?

There is no cost estimate for the two assemblies, as yet.

For any more info, we'll have to watch for documentation release and further updates from developers.  :lol:

Mike
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:35:39 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
For planning purposes, can those who understand this antenna and field being sensed comment on whether or not the antenna needs to be in the clear?  I'm thinking the woods behind my out shed where there is little electrical activity anyway, would be ideal.  But I'd need to drive a post in the ground and attach the antenna assembly in something like the Boltek PVC pipe enclosure to weatherproof it.  This idea dies if there is an influence by vegetation, namely mature oak trees and a considerable likelihood of poison ivy and undergrowth, although the antenna would be above all but the moderately dense trees.

Any comments on the needed local environment to be most efficient?

I'm thinking that as a bunch more antennas come on line, the 300 mile range might allow for nice overlapping coverage (thinking Jim down at Mauston).

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline flc85

• Météo Fontenay
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »
:-k

Same here, but I suspect that it is an either/or situation.
Might be a good excuse for another station....  \:D/

Greg

You don't need another station  \:D/ because your station have 2 inputs.At each of the two inputs, both variants of the amplifier can be connected.
Fontenay le Comte West France
Vantage Pro2 WL,WD,VVP,WXSIM
Blitzortung station id:559
French Blitzortung forum: www.blitzortung.fr

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
I posted this back last year in early January before all the Blitzortung hubbub came about. (or at least before I discovered it). This is the enclosure for an active antenna that I used for the Eastern Voltage Research detector. If I can find a good location (probably with the VLF radio) maybe I can brew up something similar for the E-field BO antenna.

Greg

Offline schaffer970

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
Am in the process of gathering all of the bits and pieces to set up a station.  After reading everything, my understanding is that 13/14 will be an add-on to the existing Red system.  Just want to make sure that if I order now all I will need to do is add 13/14 to the current system when it becomes available.

Thanks

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
Am in the process of gathering all of the bits and pieces to set up a station.  After reading everything, my understanding is that 13/14 will be an add-on to the existing Red system.  Just want to make sure that if I order now all I will need to do is add 13/14 to the current system when it becomes available.

Thanks
As things stand, that's it for now!  The project remains a living organism, and further updates and refinements are always down the road, but I would not expect them to be 'mandatory' upgrades. Because of what's been discovered about various interferences and the actual extraordinary performance and future capabilities of the system, etc, I would expect the next 'major' hardware release (after 13/14 E system) to be something on the order of 'prebuilt' redesigned main amp, and an updated controller... but that's on down the road, I expect. With the new E system they'll have their hands full implementing and fine-tuning all the server algorithms etc.
Couple of things,...
Have you requested info and ordered the Kits?
http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page=3
Grand Junction is a fabulous location for an additional station! That will really help the Western part of our US network!
Mike

Offline schaffer970

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
Sounds good and thanks!  I have emailed Egon but have not yet ordered.  Have gotten gotten the ferrite cores, wire and shrink tube for the antennas.  The STM board is on the way.  Will place the order with Egon soon and look forward to becoming part of the network.  \:D/

anything