Author Topic: Best weather station for sailing club  (Read 1223 times)

Offline mnolan

Best weather station for sailing club
« on: November 09, 2019, 04:37:11 PM »
Been a member of this forum (lurking) for years, but could now use some help. 

I am very weather knowledgeable, but do not have a personal weather station.  I am a member of a local sailing club in Indiana (Lafayette Sailing Club; Lake Freeman), and all the members could really use a way to determine the air temperature, wind speed and wind direction before we decide to drive to the lake to sail.  We currently have a website (lafayettesailing.com) where I would like to post the above information in more or less real time.  Those are really the only weather parameters we need.  Any additional sensors (such as rain gauge, humidity, etc...) are not really that important.

We have a member living on the lake with lakefront access and wifi.  I'd like to set up a remote sensor that would preferably be either solar or long-term battery powered that could connect to his wifi.  Then I'd like to port that information to either our website (preferred), or if needed some personal weatherstation network like those that wunderground hosts. I'd like the weather station to be more or less maintenance free.  It would likely only be powered up from April to October as we pretty much abandon the lake at that point, and the cabin owner shuts down his power.   It would be nice if it did not have to connect to a PC, but that is an option if we need to do so.

As a non-profit group, I have to watch our money and don't want to over buy.  But I want something reliable, fairly easy to set up, and has the capability to send the appropriate information to the web.  We don't really care about the internal display as he'll never look at it, as we will be sailing on the lake!

Thanks

Mike

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Best weather station for sailing club
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
Your budget will determine what you end up with. PWS's and their components vary greatly in cost, reliability, accuracy, ect. Being a sailing club, the only thing I suggest is that when you get an anemometer, that you put it up where it's unobstructed and upwards of the "official" height of 10 meters. Do you have to have it that high, no, but for a sailing club I'd want my wind data to be as "bonafide" as possible.

Offline mnolan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »
We probably won't/can't get it that high.......but we are more interested in the wind about 10-15' above the ground.  We sail smaller boats (Sunfish, Laser and the sorts), whose masts only go up 10-15 feet above the water.

Mike

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »
IF you can site it unobstructed from tress ect., you'll probably be fine, if not...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »
Siting is the biggest problem in a residential set up.
If you feel safe doing it, I'm sure your member who has lakefront access has some kind of dock.
Put up a 10 to 15 ft pole on his dock as close to the water as possible. Secure it the best you can and be done with it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »
I take it you are looking for website access so you can access from home. I would get a Davis Station VP2 with one of the software's that broadcasts to Weather Underground and just link it off your home index page. Scaled Instruments has decent prices.

If you don't need realtime the Davis weather link software can upload data every few minutes if realtime is something you want it gets more complicated using 3rd party. I use Cumulus which uploads bits of data every 4 seconds to weather underground and my personal website. This requires a running PC but there are other solutions I'm less familiar with.

This is the dashboard for Weather Underground:  https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNEVALEN4

You can add a widget also to the website here: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNEVALEN4/widgets

Widgets in realtime are no longer supported.

Personal website here: https://www.valentinenebraska.net/
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »
You can get real-time to WU with a VP2 and no computer several ways.

VP2 ISS - - > WeatherLink Live - - > Meteobridge - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > VP2 display console - - > Meteobridge NANO - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > VP2 display console - - > WeatherLink USB - - > Meteobridge - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > VP2 display console - - > WiFiLogger - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > WeatherLink Live - - > Raspberry Pi (Weather-Display or Cumulus MX or WeeWx) - - > WU

About that last option.... I threw it in as a Raspberry Pi is not often considered a traditional computer because of miniscule size, cost is less than $50, and minimal power draw.

* Meteobridges are sold by Ambient Weather and they call them WeatherBridge.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:35:59 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
It does depend on what you take 'real-time' to mean. Some people would say that updates every minute (or 5 or 10 minutes ) is real/current enough.

Others might say you need to see every single wind gust on a site for it to qualify for genuine real-time, which means updates every 2-3 seconds. Beyond the geek factor, I'm not sure what practical benefit genuine real-time brings. Certainly I don't see the befit in updates every 10-15 secs for instance - it's neither one thing not the other. 

Also: Do you want the live data embedded in your own website or would a link to eg WU be sufficient. And if you want it on your own website then is a text presentation sufficient or is a fancy graphical presentation a priority?

A VP2 fitted with a WiFi logger uploading to weatherlink.com would give you a text presentation updated every minute on your own website and be a pretty cost-effective solution. But a more demanding requirement would mean a different and more costly configuration.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »
Slight addition...

VP2 ISS - - > WeatherLink Live - - > Meteobridge - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > VP2 display console - - > Meteobridge NANO - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > VP2 display console - - > WeatherLink USB - - > Meteobridge - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > VP2 display console - - > WeatherLink USB - - > Raspberry Pi (Weather-Display or Cumulus MX or WeeWx) - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > VP2 display console - - > WiFiLogger - - > WU
VP2 ISS - - > WeatherLink Live - - > Raspberry Pi (Weather-Display or Cumulus MX or WeeWx) - - > WU

Personally, for a sailing club I think having a console you can put somewhere visible would be "a nice to have" addition.
Mark

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »
One thing to consider is having remote access to logging/upload device because the station will be in someone else's home that you intend to manage remotely. Therefore the Meteobridge offers the simplest secure HTTPS remote access and simple setup (it just a check box you turn on and done, no other configuration required).

The Raspberry Pi can also be configured for remote access but that will require setting up VNC server service or remote SSH or VPN (just 3 possible solutions) and opening firewall ports and setting up Dynamic DNS service. Sounds complicated but there is plenty of help for novice to be walked step by step.

Another solution instead of or in addition to remote access is a smart power plug adapter. This way you can remotely power cycle the equipment.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
Personally, for a sailing club I think having a console you can put somewhere visible would be "a nice to have" addition.

It is not going to be at the club. It will be at a private residence on the lake.

Thanks for the slight addition of USB to Pi.
Tele-Pole

Offline mnolan

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 06:12:14 PM »
It does depend on what you take 'real-time' to mean. Some people would say that updates every minute (or 5 or 10 minutes ) is real/current enough.

Others might say you need to see every single wind gust on a site for it to qualify for genuine real-time, which means updates every 2-3 seconds. Beyond the geek factor, I'm not sure what practical benefit genuine real-time brings. Certainly I don't see the befit in updates every 10-15 secs for instance - it's neither one thing not the other. 

Also: Do you want the live data embedded in your own website or would a link to eg WU be sufficient. And if you want it on your own website then is a text presentation sufficient or is a fancy graphical presentation a priority?

A VP2 fitted with a WiFi logger uploading to weatherlink.com would give you a text presentation updated every minute on your own website and be a pretty cost-effective solution. But a more demanding requirement would mean a different and more costly configuration.

Real time is pretty loose by our standards.  5-10 minutes old would be OK.  I would prefer the wind on our own website (which is a pretty basic one), but wouldn't object to a WU link.  Text is fine....no need for graphic stuff.

Thanks

Mike

anything