Author Topic: VP2 Lost Connection  (Read 2127 times)

Offline evansayre1

VP2 Lost Connection
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
About a month ago I started getting all dashes on the outside sensors on the display.  And I had a "L" in the bottom right hand corner.

I checked the ISS and found I had a corroded super capacitor.  Ordered a new one and replaced it - no luck.  Called Davis and they thought I had a bad ISS so they advanced shipped me a new one.

New ISS board does the exact same thing as the old one.

Called Davis again and they helped trouble shoot the problem - changed station ID, drained the ISS of power and restarted it.  No luck and they seem baffled.  They have issued a called tag to have it all returned for them to troubleshoot themselves.

Any one have any suggestions before I box it all up and send it to them?

Thanks!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: VP2 Lost Connection
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 03:23:59 PM »
You've lost communcations between the ISS and your receiver.  By process of elimination, it wasn't your SIM board.  If you have a console, have you tried to sync it up with it next to the ISS?  If that doesn't work, your receiver must be bad.

I'm surprised they don't try a console exchange, before sending everything back.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »
My station is well over 4 years old.  So no warranty.  The console I'm using for the data logger is up to date firmware wise.  But my second one isn't.  I bought that one later.  I think I might rent that data logger from Davis and update the other one.  Then swap the consoles.  See if that fixes it.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is the console though.  Just after I posted the message, I popped the console into setup mode and checked the settings.  I put it back and now it's been running fine the rest of the day.  No drops.  So it appears to be console related.  But my console is also in the basement.  Because of the angles, it isn't the best reception.  I have to have it mounted up high on my wall at the ceiling to ensure reception.  Maybe it still isn't good enough.  I might have to setup a re-transmit with my upstairs console.  But I don't want to mess with it until the one is up to date.

Does the VPLive or Virtual VP give reception stats?  Maybe I need to dig up the manual and see what the consoles show for receptions and retransmits and compare.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
VPlive shows the reception from the console.

Chuck

Offline evansayre1

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
You've lost communcations between the ISS and your receiver.  By process of elimination, it wasn't your SIM board.  If you have a console, have you tried to sync it up with it next to the ISS?  If that doesn't work, your receiver must be bad.

I'm surprised they don't try a console exchange, before sending everything back.

I did try to sync it up with the new ISS and no luck.  Anyway to "reboot" the console other than pull the batteries?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:29:38 AM »
Wouldn't you know it, dang thing is offline again.  Right after I went to bed last night.  I'll have to try "rebooting" it when I get home.  Pull power.

I can remote into my home computer.  VPLive shows no packets since midnight.  So now I'm suspecting a console issue.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Zoandar

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:36:33 AM »
I am interested in how this pans out, because I am having the same problem. Yesterday the console was working well, displaying all data, but it was reporting "Low Battery on Station 1" ( I only have a single ISS and console). So I pulled the #123 lithium cell, and put in a brand new one. But since doing that, I can't get any data from the outside sensors, the same as being discussed above.

I put the console into diagnostic mode as per the manual, and according to that, I am getting 100% packet reception. None are getting dropped or lost, but I am also seeing that 100% of them are failing to lock, if I remember the term correctly. So the console is getting data packets, but apparently the packets themselves don't have the external sensor data in them. I brought the ISS inside last night, because it was starting to rain. I dried it off and checked all the sensor connections. They still look like new (this unit was just bought last year) and still have the grease in the sockets. No loose or broken wires.

I pulled all the batteries and AC power, and left it all sit for about 16 hours. Then I powered it all back up today, and still no external data. All lines across the displays.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I emailed Davis, but they have yet to answer me.

Zoandar

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:20:43 AM »
Zoandar,
Don't know where you are but if you're in the States, I'd telephone Davis. They are very good at telephone help (some better than others). E-mail is great unless it gets in a spam filter or the like.
Good luck
George

anything