Author Topic: Is there a way to contact another WU station owner?  (Read 670 times)

Offline NormanW

Is there a way to contact another WU station owner?
« on: July 29, 2021, 05:37:26 AM »
I have a station which broadcasts to WU and on my map, I can see another WU station 5KM away.

I've walked the ground where the station is shown on the map to try and find the station.  There are just a few houses, and even knowing the equipment type I can't find it.

Of course it may be that the owner has been deliberately a little vague in where he is.

But with a station so close physically, although I am 100 meters higher in altitude, means that we get quite different results.  Yesterday my maximum temp was 37.3ºC, my nearby station was registering 40.2ºC at the same time.  I'd like to contact the owner but have so far failed.

Is there a way with WU to send a message to a station owner does anyone know please?

Thanks for reading

Norman

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Is there a way to contact another WU station owner?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »
There used to be a way, but the feature has been removed. One thing you could try is to see if they also are a CWOP station. Then you can email them. But it is likely that their location is totally wrong and you are looking in the wrong area. Another thing you can try is flying a drone to better inspect the area.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline NormanW

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 09:40:42 AM »
Thank you,    It wasn't me being stupid then and not finding the way in WU!   ](*,)

I'm the drone pilot for the local volunteer fire & rescue, so that is easily done, but may not be easy to find....

I checked CWOP and the station isn't listed as being a member.

I appreciate your help!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:45:27 AM by NormanW »

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »
But with a station so close physically, although I am 100 meters higher in altitude, means that we get quite different results.  Yesterday my maximum temp was 37.3ºC, my nearby station was registering 40.2ºC at the same time.  I'd like to contact the owner but have so far failed.
Maybe the sensor has a poor radiation shield.

Offline NormanW

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 01:20:58 PM »
My sensor is in a Stephenson Screen, but until I can find the other system, which is why I asked the question, I cannot tell.

I am used to there being a difference between the stations.  I am in a thermal belt, according the the map, the other station is in a town area, somewhere. The heat island effect of buildings with tile roofs could easily account for the degree difference.

In winter it is the opposite.  I am usually between three and five degrees warmer, with a katabatic air flow.  The other station is in a cold sink.