Author Topic: Are there any programs similar to Adobe Lightroom?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Are there any programs similar to Adobe Lightroom?
« on: July 06, 2021, 09:18:29 AM »
I have used Adobe Lightroom for years, and while not perfect, it does all the things I usually  need to do, and isn't like PhotoShop which for me is difficult to learn and I forget how to do some things between uses.

I've been able to do well with the last version which allowed you to buy it once and keep using it.  I now need to build a new computer to replace the one LR was on, and cannot find the disk set to install it again.

LR is still offered by Adobe, but only on a $10/month subscription rate.  I'm not sure I use it that much and while Adobe controls it's own software, I find it a bit of a burr under my saddle to pay for a few months of not using it, keeping it activated until I do need it.

I have tried Adobe Elements, which seems to be to be a more click the next box to get adjustments rather than finely tweaking contrast, etc.  I thought there was an expert mode to switch it to act more like LR, but I've not been able to get it to do that.

So the question is:  Are there good quality programs that are not Adobe which can be bought for  use and to continue to  use without monthly fees, or is my choice really only to bite the bullet and sign up to try LR online for a few months or buy a year's worth and see if I use it enough to keep subscribing?

I'm looking for any leads the members of this forum can give me.
Thanks. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
Re: Are there any programs similar to Adobe Lightroom?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 10:26:02 AM »
I've been using a very nice product the last few years. It's not a subscription product. However, it is updated with new features each year and there is a reduced price if you're updating from a previous version. The product is called ON1 Photo Raw.
https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/

Steve

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
Adobe products were always way more than what I needed so I do not know how many features that you need to use. Everything that I have needed to do, can be done with one of the 4 Faststone programs. FastStone Image Viewer 7.5 and FastStone Photo Resizer 4.3 are freeware. FastStone Capture 9.6  and FastStone MaxView 3.3  are shareware with a $19.95 (each) to get a lifetime license.

Look at the ImageViewer features and see if this might do what you need.

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 02:28:03 PM »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
Thank you to all who've given me hints to try.

Just going to the various home pages suggested enlightened me to a lot of very sophisticated programs, with capabilities that will likely handle what I will need, as an amateur.

Now to try each to see how the workflow goes.

Again, thank you, and thanks for this forum to share and ask questions.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline N7CEE

• Writer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 06:31:27 PM »
I use and recommend Lightzone. It used to be a commercial product but then went free and open source. It's a LightRoom work-alike but quite a bit simpler, and it does everything I need. It's available for all three platforms.

http://lightzoneproject.org/

Bruce

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 08:35:17 PM »
Again, the experience of other users who are not pushing/selling the programs is invaluable.

I've gotten several contenders to choose from, and I've looked at all the suggestions so far.

One thing is for sure, I understand from some of the reviewers in online articles that LR will never go back to being a buy it once and if it fits your needs, no need to update.
Adobe is hitched its wagon to subscription month by month, and since I use this program sporadically and not for commercial use I don't want to be caught in a pay-forever mode.

These programs so far are more capable than I will likely need, but the extra stuff is interesting.

Once again, many thanks for all who took time to reply and even offer links.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:59:13 AM »
Have you tried DarkTable it is the closest and in fact the does so much more than LR and does away nearly 99% of the need for PS. It will, if you want, import your LR Color labels, Keywords (cataloging), and edits to the best of it's similarities. It is completely free and has zero embedded adds, tons of YouTube tutorial videos and is good for Win Mac and Linux. If want I could steer you to the best vids/tutorials to get you up and running in minutes after install. The latest version of DT (3.6.1) beats up LR really nicely. PM if you want any help with it... Raw Therapee is absolutely great but does a poor job of handling any keywords and cataloging. DT hits it out of the park with keywords and cataloging.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 11:40:04 AM »
Thanks for this follow up.

I'm off to find it and download to try.

Therapee is I guess good at stuff I don't use, but having the 'normal' adjustments all in one spot makes sense and it just doesn't do that.  Seldom do I have a need for Gaussian Blur, but there it is.  I wish Contrast, Exposure, etc. sliders were named as expected and findable.  Maybe there are ways to get this on that program, but I've not found it!

Thanks for the tip, lots of good stuff out there.

The old habits die hard, even from one version of the same program to the next.  I've not given up on any of them yet, just not enough time concentrated on learning them and picking the best one.
Dale

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything