Author Topic: Very silent out here. What is going on?  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Jorginho

Very silent out here. What is going on?
« on: June 19, 2021, 05:09:50 AM »
Hi all,

I am a bit concerned about what is going on with Barani. At least when it comes to the weatherstations that are discussed here. First of all in the second half of last year several people noted they thought some things could be made better. Especially interfacing with the station and uploading to more sites than  just wunderground. The answer was that they were working on it and it should be finished at the start of 2021. So this was already later than expected. It was also said that the team of Jan  was pretty small, but also enthusiastic so we should give them some time. Which is understandable.

But now it is 6 months later and nothing. It has become quiet here which is pretty strange, to me. since these stations seem to measure with WMO precision and frequency at a very affordable price. Or is it?

I wanted to order one (well, next month or so) and looked if anything has changed. I found that all stations were sold out and next shipping date.....april 2021 (?). Now this makes me weary. It almost seems as if there is something wrong, when  websites are no longer updated on very crucial matters (like shipping goods).

I already wrote Jan Barani a message askking him what is going on and a tip to be clear about this on the site if there is a good explanation. I hope all is well, we need this competition and we need Barani to especially make their stations more Plug and play. Not just setting it up in  the field and have datatransfers, but Plug and play when it comes to uploading to known networks (wunderground, wow etc).

I'll await his answer but wonder if Mauro (long time no see) or others have some inside information? Thx.

Kind regards,

j.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
Re: Very silent out here. What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
Hi all,

I am a bit concerned about what is going on with Barani. At least when it comes to the weatherstations that are discussed here. First of all in the second half of last year several people noted they thought some things could be made better. Especially interfacing with the station and uploading to more sites than  just wunderground. The answer was that they were working on it and it should be finished at the start of 2021. So this was already later than expected. It was also said that the team of Jan  was pretty small, but also enthusiastic so we should give them some time. Which is understandable.

But now it is 6 months later and nothing. It has become quiet here which is pretty strange, to me. since these stations seem to measure with WMO precision and frequency at a very affordable price. Or is it?

I wanted to order one (well, next month or so) and looked if anything has changed. I found that all stations were sold out and next shipping date.....april 2021 (?). Now this makes me weary. It almost seems as if there is something wrong, when  websites are no longer updated on very crucial matters (like shipping goods).

I already wrote Jan Barani a message askking him what is going on and a tip to be clear about this on the site if there is a good explanation. I hope all is well, we need this competition and we need Barani to especially make their stations more Plug and play. Not just setting it up in  the field and have datatransfers, but Plug and play when it comes to uploading to known networks (wunderground, wow etc).

I'll await his answer but wonder if Mauro (long time no see) or others have some inside information? Thx.

Kind regards,

j.

Hello Jorginho,

there's nothing wrong with Barani, you can be sure ;)

As you told, is a very little company, and they do not want to consider some kind of commercial cooperation only to obtain a sustain.
Every step needs a lot of time when you want to make all by yourself, and this is the price to pay.

We are making some tests on the camouflaged versions of Meteoshield Pro and Meteohelix, we are working on the new Meteorain, and also to the new Meteogarden web interface and, also, to the new MeteoAG integrated agrometeorological system

You can be sure that I will forward your comments to Jan Barani before this evening, and I promise to update more often this topic, sorry but also my job is absolutely higher than past months

Mauro

Offline Jorginho

They already replied to me.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 03:20:07 AM »
Busy too. The problems are as I expected related to Corona, chip availability etc. I told them I think it would be nice to correct the dates (next shipment april 2021...it was june already) because that seems odd and it is what you see when companies go bankrupt...Fortunately, this is not the case here. Just a case of bad luck with the pandemic.

Thx for replying!

Offline Julius

Re: They already replied to me.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 05:46:07 PM »
The problems are as I expected related to Corona, chip availability etc.
That is just not true for having to create interfacing/upload options to more than WU. You don't need chips to write new code, do you?
I've still been trying to get my barani output to be read by weewx or a meteobridge, but it's creating too many points of failure. Yes, there is a thing called filepile (https://github.com/tkeffer/filepile) for weewx, and it should be able to read barani output from an uploaded file to ftp, except the format isn't correct, and since the upload takes places from allmeteo, it cannot be a LAN-only ftp-server, and when you're like me, you live behind a CGNAT (StarLink or 5G/4G internet), making ftp serving close to impossibly complex. My weewx is running on LAN only. I don't feel like having to permanently hook up a VPN or zerotier or ssh-tunnel link in order to basically see/serve the data from a loop. That would just be ridiculous;

barani-devices > LoraWan gateway > LAN1 > WAN (CGNAT) > ISP > TTN > allmeteo > remote-server2 api/ftp > rsync through ssh-tunnel back to LAN1 > WeeWX in LAN > NGINX in LAN > ssh-tunnel back to remote-server2 > NGINX proxy-pass with weatherwebsite..

( i.e. [sigh..] all because barani devices can't be talking directly to a meteobridge or weewx server )

It's still incredible that the LoRaWan gateway, the Laird Sentrius device, which has about as much CPU-power as 3(!) times a MeteoBridge Pro unit, is only able to talk to either TTN or MQTT, not both at once. This gateway hardware could easily run all the meteobridge software, an extra weewx instance, a mini-webserver AND upload to TTN! But it's a closed source linux type. I've tried to hack it, but it's locked down pretty well. Such a waste of energy, that unit.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:00:56 PM by Julius »

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
Re: They already replied to me.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 06:17:16 AM »
(next shipment april 2021...it was june already)
and now it's 2022.07 and it's still there. 
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

anything