Author Topic: VP2 consoles, different versions for different regions  (Read 7919 times)

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
VP2 consoles, different versions for different regions
« on: March 28, 2013, 06:57:14 AM »
The Davis VP2 consoles come in different versions for different regions. Taking official documentation into consideration, these differences seem to be required mainly due to variations in which RF frequencies are available for low-power ISM applications. But just HOW different are the various console versions? Do they all utilize the Texas Instruments CC1021 transceiver, as found in US versions of the console? The CC1021 seems to cover all relevant frequencies, no matter which ISM band is used (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc1021.pdf).

My main VP2 setup, consisting of original EU-market devices, transmits data between the ISS and the console on 868 MHz. Interestingly, a US console - with a little tweaking - can be set to receive the transmissions from an ISS configured for the EU market. It can also, when used as a repeater, be set to re-transmit received packets on 868 MHz. Entering the console TEST mode (TST 1) allows for setting the BAND. BAND 0 is the US version. BAND 1 is the EU version. BAND 4 is for NZ. Exiting TEST mode (TST 0) followed by rebooting the console will reveal the "active region" after the welcome/FW version message. Be warned that this functionality is not officially documented by the manufacturer and additional changes may also be required for proper operation (we didn't break anything yet, though, and in our rather remote and underground test location we won't worry too much about low-power RF transmissions on the wrong frequencies). There are a few other commands, too, which are possibly related to configuring the CC1021 RF module: DOMAIN, CHAN, TXTEST, RXTEST, TX and RX, some of which take numeric arguments. There's also a dump command to retrieve the configuration settings from the CC1021. It will take some more effort to fully get to grips with it all, but with people and facilities in place it's just a matter of time. Unless someone already has it all covered, so that we can move on to other projects.

Sneaking into a lab with relevant RF shielding and equipment to carry out some comparisons of spurious RF from the original EU console and the US console configured for EU operations is on the agenda. If there are no significant RF leaks, that's an interesting indication that the equipment isn't THAT different after all. It does indeed make sense that the production process is the same and it boils down to an after-production matter of configuring and labeling the devices for their intended region of operation.

Anyone having relevant information to share?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:09:15 AM by torkelmj »

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
Re: VP2 consoles, different versions for different regions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »
This may be of interest to European users wanting extra consoles for their WX station setup - while shopping US consoles for half the price of the European ones.

Configuring the consoles for EU operation is an easy task:

- connect an original data logger (or find a way around the "original logger" problem)
- open up a terminal window, "talk" to the console - wake it up by issuing a few newlines
- issue the following commands (the console should reply "OK" after each command)

TST 1
BAND 1
DOMAIN 2
TST 0

Then RESET the console (grounding pin 7 of the rear expansion connector or removing power for a little while - or simply issue the reset command...). The European version is now up running, which should also be indicated on the initial boot screen ("Thank you ... v. 3.00 (EU)" ). The console will now listen for a EU-configured ISS transmitter. Spurious RF emissions when using the console as a repeater are equal to those found on original EU consoles and remain well within tolerable limits.

Other BAND/DOMAIN combinations are also in there, but I haven't tested'em. The US and EU versions are pretty close in frequency, whereas other region settings may or may not operate on other "freeband" ISM frequency ranges - which may require modifications to the radio subsystem.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
This may be of interest to European users wanting extra consoles for their WX station setup - while shopping US consoles for half the price of the European ones.

- connect an original data logger (or find a way around the "original logger" problem)
- open up a terminal window, "talk" to the console - wake it up by issuing a few newlines
- issue the following commands (the console should reply "OK" after each command)

TST 1
BAND 1
DOMAIN 2
TST 0

Then RESET the console (grounding pin 7 of the rear expansion connector or removing power for a little while - or simply issue the reset command...). The European version is now up running, which should also be indicated on the initial boot screen ("Thank you ... v. 3.00 (EU)" ). The console will now listen for a EU-configured ISS transmitter. Spurious RF emissions when using the console as a repeater are equal to those found on original EU consoles and remain well within tolerable limits.

Other BAND/DOMAIN combinations are also in there, but I haven't tested'em. The US and EU versions are pretty close in frequency, whereas other region settings may or may not operate on other "freeband" ISM frequency ranges - which may require modifications to the radio subsystem.

Outstanding   =D>

I knew of these commands but never had the nerve to try them out for fear of bricking my console.

For those that have have a non-North American console and need to make it so, my VP2 reports BAND = 0 and DOMAIN = 1.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:53:45 PM »
Excellent, great work.

I assume the wireless transmitter in the ISS is a completely different kettle of fish requiring some hardware changes.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
In a world of mass production, kettles of tilapia and salmon tend to taste more or less the same (=nothing). I would indeed be quite surprised if the US/EU versions of the ISS transmitters are not interchangeable with minor modifications ... presently I don't have any spare ISS units around, but I'm tempted to get a couple of those as well, just for the fun of it.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »
In a world of mass production, kettles of tilapia and salmon tend to taste more or less the same (=nothing). I would indeed be quite surprised if the US/EU versions of the ISS transmitters are not interchangeable with minor modifications ... presently I don't have any spare ISS units around, but I'm tempted to get a couple of those as well, just for the fun of it.

One possibility but quite a longshot: there are a couple spots where a jumper could be attached on the ISS board.  See points A and B here.
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://vantagepro2.meteo-quimper.fr/vantage-pro-2/carte-iss-vantage-pro-2/&usg=ALkJrhghJG02BRT7LJu-m2-58tSH6vJC4Q

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
Interesting!

As for the consoles, the included (at least for the US version) manifest from Davis actually outlines "configuration" and "burn in" processes. I never saw one of those manifests in the consoles I purchased here in Europe. Again, I'd be *very* surprised if configurations for different regions involve more work/changes than absolutely necessary.

I'll try to check with my inside contact at a certain HQ if I can get any info thru that channel. I'm also fishing for some other details these days. There are people out there who are willing to share, if it hadn't been for what they're risking. 'nuff said, but there's no doubt the "new firmware" caused a bit of controversy not just among end-users... which is ...interesting.

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
I somewhat covered the register dump commands here:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10739.msg161863#msg161863

It did allow me to correlate the Hop Index to the actual RF frequency.

Ray

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
GETREG (I recall a DMPREG or REGDMP command available in TST mode?) is indeed most useful for retrieving the radio subsystem parameters... relevant for those who intend to build their own receiver, I guess...?)

Sorry, I missed that thread from 2012 - most interesting!

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »

TST 1
BAND 1
DOMAIN 2
TST 0

Hi,

I am exactly in this scenario. I purchased a cheaper US console which is unable to read my UK VP2 transmitters.
I am a bit of an amateur when it comes to the older stuff. But it did come with the original serial logger. Do I simply just plug this into my PC and it should be recognised, or do I need some additional software?

Thanks
WUNDERGROUND ID:IENGLAND406                                                             Live IP

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
Does anyone know how to put the console into test mode?
WUNDERGROUND ID:IENGLAND406                                                             Live IP

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »
TST 1

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:06:01 PM »
Just use whatever terminal emulation software you like.
If you're in the Windows world, good ol' PuTTY may be just what you need: http://www.putty.org

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:12:00 AM »
Is there a way I can connect it using WLINK IP? I do not have the serial logger.

Offline LucyDog

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 05:26:37 AM »
Reviving this thread.  Any way to do this with an WLINK IP?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 08:29:48 AM »
Reviving this thread.  Any way to do this with an WLINK IP?

If the question is "how do I make a connection to WLIP and send commands", you can just "telnet" to it.

Putty does this.

You need to enter the IP address with the 22222 port.

In Linux-land it would be

Code: [Select]
telnet 192.168.1.xx 22222
For Putty, just use the telnet option with the selection. Put the WLIP IP address in the box, and 22222 in the port entry.

For example, I just used "TEST" and then "BARDATA" in a Putty telnet session (since it's been a while since I did this).

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:35 AM »
BAND 2 is for AU (Australia) stations which I have managed to do successfully on my Vue and Pro 2 consoles

Has anyone tried this with the Envoy? I’d expect it’d be the same as the console without the display?

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
BAND 2 is for AU (Australia) stations which I have managed to do successfully on my Vue and Pro 2 consoles

Now that's very handy to know. I've got a US and a AU console, and it would be nice to get both talking to each other, as I can then put the second console in another room to read what's going on outside.

As you know, the price on AU stuff is extremely expensive, i.e. 6162AU is $1595 and the 6555 is $412.50 for those outside of Australia who aren't aware of what we're expected to pay here for them. :)

Now the next thing is how to convert things like US Anemometer transmitter kits and similar to be converted to BAND 2 to make them legal to be used in Australia. :)
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline F4AAG

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 12:42:35 AM »
Hi,
try to modified an US VP2 to EU but I can't send commands by the original USB data logger. PUTTY console return not information, I think one problem virtual serial port detection. For information the weatherlink software can upload all data from the VP2. Thanks for your help.
Weather Station Under construction with VP2

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
Putty is not a good tool to talk to the console. Try RealTerm. You need to send a single CR as EOL marker when sending commands, set it up accordingly.

Offline F4AAG

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 03:44:43 PM »
My US version weather station is fully operational on EU band, it's a nice day. After anytime to reade many informations on the web, I understand the process to install USBXpress driver and commute to Virtual ComPort using the Dos software ‘CP210X USB to Serial Converter’.
Beware, "tst 1" is not a valide, the good syntax is 'TST 1'.

Many thanks to all.  \:D/ [tup]
Weather Station Under construction with VP2

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 04:09:10 PM »
I understand the process to install USBXpress driver and commute to Virtual ComPort using the Dos software ‘CP210X USB to Serial Converter’.

No, that's not a requirement. You need to send the proper command with the proper syntax, using any suitable serial terminal program on the com port occupied by your USB to serial converter in Windows. But on the other hand, you need to use caps for the commands, yes. In any case, it's good you succeeded with the setup.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »
I understand the process to install USBXpress driver and commute to Virtual ComPort using the Dos software ‘CP210X USB to Serial Converter’.

No, that's not a requirement. You need to send the proper command with the proper syntax, using any suitable serial terminal program on the com port occupied by your USB to serial converter in Windows.

But if your USB logger is in USBXpress mode it's not going to expose a 'com port occupied by your USB to serial converter in Windows'. That was the OP's problem AIUI. The OP needed to switch the logger into VCP mode with the special CP210X....  utility (presumably sourced from SiLabs but installed along with WLfW) and then the com port became available and visible.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 05:48:02 PM »
... if your USB logger is in USBXpress mode it's not going to expose a com port ...

My bad.