Author Topic: ISS Not transmitting  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Bohaiboy

ISS Not transmitting
« on: July 08, 2021, 08:27:34 PM »
Vantage Pro2 -  So this morning, I was receiving data just fine.  Then as the day progressed I noticed I had the dreaded dashed lines.  Went thru the troubleshooting , made sure connections were secure, changed out battery, and talked to Gerry at Davis.  He sent me instructions and I followed to a Tee.  He had me reset all toggles to off, then set toggle 4 to on.  There should have been a green light that came on near the battery which it did not.  A question for you all is that green light on all the time?  The ISS is only two years old, and I had a previous one that lasted 10 years, but I am afraid that is the issue.  Anyone else experience this?  And what was your solution?  TIA

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: ISS Not transmitting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 09:16:31 PM »
Once you set switchthe green light flashes each transmission.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 10:00:08 PM »
....A question for you all is that green light on all the time? ...

When dip switch #4 is on (Test Mode), the LED should flash every time the ISS transmits ~ 2.5 seconds. Normally dip switch #4 is off (no LED) in order to save battery

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 03:48:14 AM »
In general, the VP2 wireless transmitters have excellent reliability over many years, but of course there is inevitably the odd exception here and there. You may have just hit an unlucky bad board. But before concluding that, I'd check:

1. That the LED is definitely not flashing. It can be tricky to spot in bright sunlight, especially if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

2. The obvious thing that the battery is the right way round.

3. Try another new CR123 battery. you may have been unlucky and hit a bad battery.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
Update:  Installed new battery and green light started blinking.  Reset console and actually received a packet, but interestingly the temp showed -90F.  That ain't July in Texas.  After a while it went back toto the dreaded dashed lines.  Found a board for replacement at Scientific Sales for about $50 less than Davis directly charges.  Anyone have other sources for purchasing Davis parts?  Or any other suggestions on troubleshooting for that matter?  Thanks

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
Disconnect the T/H sensor plug from the SIM board and retest (obviously looking at readings other than T/H). I have known bad T/H sensors interfere with the board operation more generally. It might be that you need a new T/H sensor rather than a SIM board.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 03:16:23 PM »
Update:  Installed new battery and green light started blinking.  Reset console and actually received a packet, but interestingly the temp showed -90F.  That ain't July in Texas.  After a while it went back toto the dreaded dashed lines.  Found a board for replacement at Scientific Sales for about $50 less than Davis directly charges.  Anyone have other sources for purchasing Davis parts?  Or any other suggestions on troubleshooting for that matter?  Thanks

Since you indicate that you are in the US, Scaled Instruments is a great place for Davis parts.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 05:03:54 PM »
Another update.  Now not transmitting at all, no green light flashing.  Admittedly I did leave the test toggle switch in the up (on) position.  Would that be enough to drain a battery overnight?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 05:16:23 PM »
Another update.  Now not transmitting at all, no green light flashing.  Admittedly I did leave the test toggle switch in the up (on) position.  Would that be enough to drain a battery overnight?

Per the Davis ISS manual— “If the sensor interface is left in Test Mode, the blinking LED will significantly reduce sensor suite battery life.”

My guess, the battery died.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 08:49:25 PM »
Update, installed brand new battery.  Set the console within visible site of ISS, about 50 ft away.  Started receiving a signal.  Left for about 2 hrs and upon return no signal again.  Unable to restore signal with line of site rebooting to try to receive packets of data.  No Bueno.  Will call Davis support tomorrow to see if they can figure out the issue.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »
Update, installed brand new battery.  Set the console within visible site of ISS, about 50 ft away.  Started receiving a signal.  Left for about 2 hrs and upon return no signal again.  Unable to restore signal with line of site rebooting to try to receive packets of data.  No Bueno.  Will call Davis support tomorrow to see if they can figure out the issue.
  it could be your ISS board .  You need to consider replacing it.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 09:16:19 PM »

Davis support is good. You may be on hold for awhile but it should pay off for you. If they think it is part abc, get the appropriate part number so you can compare prices and availability. Like I stated in a prior post, Scaled Instruments is a great source for Davis parts. They are hard to beat price wise and service wise—Ryan Wilhour the owner stands behind what he sells.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 10:16:29 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 04:41:48 AM »
Listen to the previous post. If Davis says you need a replacement part... Get the part number and shop around. You can usually save 25-30% by getting replacement parts from resellers like Scaled Instruments.

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
Talked to Davis Tech support. He is mailing me an ISS board for an exchange at about 1/3 of their retail  cost.  Will try it and report back in a few days.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 08:55:38 PM »
Talked to Davis Tech support. He is mailing me an ISS board for an exchange at about 1/3 of their retail  cost.  Will try it and report back in a few days.

Please report back as suggested. An interesting problem. The two most expensive parts of a Davis system is the one you are replacing and the console itself. If your ISS (PCBA component) is only 2 years old it shouldn’t have failed that quickly. You can get a new one for about $150 and if you paid 1/3 of Davis’ stated retail of $215, or about $70, one wonders if the extra $80 would have been worth a new warranty. That said, Davis offer sounds reasonable, beyond their 1 year stated warranty, so that was helpful. Hope it is not the console, but probably not. I have 3 VP2 consoles varying in age from 12 years to 3, and each is going strong.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:09:24 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »
Yes WhartonRon, I have two consoles also, using one as a repeater because of obstruction between the second one and the ISS.  I took the Davis deal as it is a new panel, so usually electronics are DOA if they don't work.  Don't know the issue with this one though.  I have checked both consoles a and same results.  Oldest console is over 11 years old and newest is probably 7 or 8.

Offline taldridg

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »
I recently experienced a similar problem with sudden loss of SIM to Console comms, although, unlike in your case, my board was 15 years old.
The xmit LED blinked normally but very intermittent connection with consoles.  It'd connect and work for a few hours then drop and not connect for hours or days, then connect again....all with 12' LOS between SIM and 2 consoles.
Old time HAM guy so did RF testing of SIM with no sensors connected to determine the xmitter was very weak and experiencing varying frequency drift (not due to DSS). 
Inspected SIM board and cleaned up some minor oxidation as there had evidently been some moisture in the enclosure over time and the board hadn't been coated very well.
Verified the 'SuperCap' and board voltages (to the TI xmitter chip, etc.).  Crystal freq was stable.
In the end, didn't identify the root cause.

Spent time with Davis tech but he had nothing to add beyond what I'd already done.
Took the Davis offer for SIM exchange of $76, including round trip shipping, for new revision SIM with warranty (I'd replaced ISS T/H sensor with SHT31, hence new rev board).
Replacement was $76 vs $160 for new SIM from Scaledinstruments. 

Station (SIM) date code is August 2006 and it spent all of its life in the Gulf Coast area so I guess it's lasted reasonably well.

The new board has MUCH better enviro coating so hopefully it'll survive the tropical New Orleans climate well.
The new SIM has been in service for a few weeks and has resolved the issue.
The spectrum analyzer now indicates expected results, validating what was deduced when diagnosing the old SIM.
Davis VP2+ Wireless ISS w/Daytime FARS- VP2 console- Vue console, Honeywell XL500c LONWorks PLC, various sensors - EBI R600, CumulusMX v3.11.4 / RHEL, WU KLAMETAI182, app.weathercloud.net/d7481717276, APRS - N5RIO

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 06:58:14 PM »
Given the life span and replacement cost it proves why the hardware model is so versatile. Somebody else may have crazy high gusting winds and wear out anemometers. He can replace just the required item in question too. I like collecting used nice condition spares too, very economical.

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »
Success.  Received replacement ISS board from Davis today, installed, working like a charm.  Thanks for all of the advice y'all.  My last one lasted over 10 years without issues and this one 2 years.  Go figure.  Thanks again.

anything