Author Topic: Does Weather Underground still accept new Stations?  (Read 960 times)

Offline BartKindt

Does Weather Underground still accept new Stations?
« on: July 05, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »
I want to send my weather data also to Weather Underground.
So I just got a new Key and ID, and added my weather Station to the system.
All this was accepted.
Then I started sending data to the API, and this is also accepted by the Web (API) server.
However, when I look in the Portal at my station, it keeps showing 'Offline'.

I keep readin that the whole WU system was taken down a few years ago; But how then can I still set up a new Station, and still access the API server?
My Device ID = IROXBU6 (Ettrick)
The API I use:
http://weatherstation.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?ID=IROXBU6&PASSWORD=XXXXXX&&action=updateraw&tempf= .... etc.
But still shows 'Offline'...

Bart, New Zealand

Online Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: Does Weather Underground still accept new Stations?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 08:14:43 PM »
It shows your station online for me.

CW3699

Offline BartKindt

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 04:28:22 AM »
Yes, it works now!

This also means, that WU (IBM) in fact are still running the system, as in the past. All the stories that the whole system was discontinued... clearly not the case.

Thanks

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 04:40:01 AM »
Yes, it works now!

This also means, that WU (IBM) in fact are still running the system, as in the past. All the stories that the whole system was discontinued... clearly not the case.

Thanks

The new API is already stable for years.
My dashboard-template is used by dozens  of users who only upload to WU and then reload their data from WU into the website.
Weather-programs  WeatherDisplay, Weewx a.o. support direct or indirect access to the data from the WU-uploading station.

There are multiple brands of (inexpensive) weather-stations which can only upload to WU, without any other access to the data.

The new wu-API also gives you access to a 5 day forecast to use on your website.

The old .CSV access to load your data is dead. To much bots and illegal massive downloads of station-data.
A  ".csv to  new-AP"-bridge is implemented in most scripts which used that old .csv format.

But do check if uploading to  other sites such as WeatherCloud, Awekas, pwsweather+Aeris, can be an advantage for you.

Wim

P.S. probably I will get some negative remarks, but IMHO it is still a good deal to upload to WU.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 04:42:47 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline BartKindt

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 05:01:26 AM »
Thanks,

I am a programmer, and I have a Chinese weather station with a USB connection to a laptop (on purpose).
I then wrote a program which now sends my data to 4 different weather sites, the fourth one is now WU.
I have been thinking to make the program public, but it would be a lot of extra work to make it user friendly enough for other people to use it.
But basically, I can convert anything to anything with the small Windows program...

Bart

anything