Author Topic: Has anyone tried the 06099m wifi display for atlas?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline weather_man

Has anyone tried the 06099m wifi display for atlas?
« on: June 29, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »
I'm interested in this display vs. the regular atlas one because it looks a little nicer and it has a battery backup. My atlas display seems to have messed up rain totals now and it's out of warranty. I also like the idea of seeing the weather at home when I am away (I am a farmer). For anyone who have tried both, does the new display lack anything from the old display?

Also another question.... It says the forecast is tied to the wifi, does that mean it won't use the barometric pressure at all? It just pulls the forecast from online?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Has anyone tried the 06099m wifi display for atlas?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »
I don’t own the wi-fi display so not any help there.

On the forecasts, AcuRite gets its data from Dark Sky. One thing to note is that Dark Sky is ending sometime soon. I once heard at the end or 2021. The following article now states end of 2022.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/10/22527878/dark-sky-apple-ios-app-website-api-shut-down-end-of-2022

https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021588593-Your-Forecast
Your local weather forecast, provided by our partner Dark Sky, is based on the address or zip code set in the profile of your AcuRite Access®, PC Connect Display, or Direct to Wi-Fi Display (Connection Device).Dark Sky generates its forecasts from a wide range of weather data sources, which are aggregated together statistically to provide the most accurate forecast possible for a given location.

You can view a 7 Day or 12 Hour Forecast. From the My AcuRite® app or website, select in the right corner of the forecast area (current time period displayed), then from the drop-down menu, select the desired time period to change the forecast displayed.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline weather_man

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 09:53:41 AM »
Interesting. I wonder how that will affect the display. Will it revert back to using the barometric pressure?

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 10:12:44 AM »
I am using it, but only a couple weeks now.  So far I like it....but, had a power and internet outage over the weekend and had wifi connectivity issues thereafter.  Had to go through the whole setup again.  Knock on wood I have never had that problem with my 5in1 direct to wifi display.  As I almost always use PWS monitor its a pain when it doesn't update to wunderground. 

We'll have to see if this is recurring. 

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »
Interesting. I wonder how that will affect the display. Will it revert back to using the barometric pressure?
There was a post from a victoria victoriagardner https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=19566  who stated that AcuRite was looking for a solution and a replacement for Dark Sky going away.

Yep, that's my guess too ... revert back to baromentric pressure algorithms which I think is junk.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 12:05:18 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 07:29:41 PM »
Well, turns out this is not working out for me.

It stops reporting to wunderground every day and I have to wipe and setup over again to get it running.  Kind of defeats the purpose….

My 5 in 1 direct to WiFi display has been trucking on untouched for nearly a year.  No issues even when the power goes out.  The whole Atlas system is feeling like a big mistake on my part.

Offline weather_man

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »
Darn, that's not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate the honesty. Unfortunately I was fed up with the original atlas display not having a power back up. I also started having trouble with it after a couple of power outages where the rain was not saving properly in the display history. I also never really liked the screen itself as the sleep mode seemed way too bright at night. I decided to try out the wifi display since I also would like to see what the weather is like at home while I work. If it doesn't work out then I will just keep trying to use the old display. Having said that this may be the last acurite product I go for. From reading on here it sounds like there are better models out there from other companies that I may switch to once this set up wears out.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
Yeah, I was very optimistic at first and then it all went in the toilet.  Wiped and reconnected again last night, and this morning offline again.  It shows that it's connected to wifi, but its not doing anything.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »
That has become the most frustrating part....the ONLY way to get it to publish data again is a full factory reset.

I'm tempted to call acurite and return the whole mess.  It's become nothing but problems and hardly an "upgrade" from my 5 in 1.  Feels more like I am working with an early prototype.

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 08:33:50 AM »
We have the Atlas without the display. We recently purchased this display as something to have in the master bathroom. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRT3YJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, you could get a small UPS for the display to keep it powered during an outage.

But I can see how it would fail to keep rain totals through an outage. For that I'd go back to the MyAcurite display on the Android tablet. I have never had the Atlas have a hard time keeping wunderground updated. Even after a power outage.

Offline weather_man

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 08:41:39 AM »
That's the display I actually have now. I do have it on a UPS but I think that was what actually fouled it up. It worked fine at first but then would actually clear it's recent rainfall events. For an example, if it would rain 1", it would add it to the totals for the month, year, etc. But the next day when the rain event was all finished, that 1" would disappear from the yearly and monthly totals to their "pre rain event totals".

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 09:29:58 AM »
That is disappointing to hear. Certainly does not sound very reliable. I guess I'll keep the Android tablet on the myacurite website then.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 10:24:56 AM »
With respect to mine I had mentioned a power outage in the first post...that was the first time the display stopped updating.  It had dropped the wifi connection that time and would not reconnect on its own.

Since then there's been no power interruptions to power or wifi.  It sits very closely to the router, has an excellent signal for both wifi and the wx station.  It seems to stay connected to wifi and just stops updating.  If you factory reset then its good for a couple hours until it crashes again.

I've noted weird numbers with the rainfall as well.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 03:30:22 PM »
DanInNC - If you're not doing so already, I would try having your router give your display a static IP address.

I had a different wifi display (Model 01202M) that was having problems untill I had my router give it a static IP address.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »
DanInNC - If you're not doing so already, I would try having your router give your display a static IP address.

I had a different wifi display (Model 01202M) that was having problems untill I had my router give it a static IP address.

No, I haven't done that but I welcome your suggestion.  I'll give it a shot today.  I managed to get 36 hours out of the last factory reset  :shock: 

I think once frustration sets in I'm about useless at problem solving.  As I mentioned in another post, the first display I purchased with the Atlas was dead on arrival, and then the wifi display I bought in addition has been problems.  So it's been a frustrating experience.  With all the wifi devices in my home none require any attention at all except this thing.

Hopefully I can get it sorted out eventually, but it has been a difficult enough process that it will be my last acurite purchase.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 10:54:29 AM »
I've bought many acurite products, but with the limited offerings on sharing with websites other than Wunderground, once my outside sensors die, I am looking forward to trying something from Ambient weather or Ecowitt. My acurite products work well, so I am disappointed to hear their wifi display is buggy. The outside stuff does pretty well, especially the Atlas, but the 5n1 needs attention to the wind cup bearings a couple of times a year in my experience. Sometimes I have signal problems on the displays, and I have had an Atlas display die.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 12:25:11 PM »
The one wi-fi display I have would be fine until the router would give it a different IP address. The display would hold on to the old IP address until I would go thought the display's setup again.

So my problem seems similar to yours in that your display will keep working until a different IP address is handed out, something like a power outage or other devices being added or dropped from your network.

Make sure to go though the display's setup, once you give the display a static(fixed) IP address.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 04:52:55 PM »
The one wi-fi display I have would be fine until the router would give it a different IP address. The display would hold on to the old IP address until I would go thought the display's setup again.

So my problem seems similar to yours in that your display will keep working until a different IP address is handed out, something like a power outage or other devices being added or dropped from your network.

Make sure to go though the display's setup, once you give the display a static(fixed) IP address.

I ran through it this morning, setting the router to give a static IP and did a factory reset on the display again.

It caused me to remember that one of our printers has IP issues as well, so I went ahead and assigned a static IP for that also.

We'll see how it goes....I'm not overly optimistic, but certainly hopeful and appreciative of the suggestion!

Offline weather_man

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 09:48:50 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the troubleshooting. Just wanted to make a few comments for people who are looking for info, as I had trouble finding a lot on it before I bought.

Overall I like it better than the hd touchscreen display. But a few things I don't like; 1. Can't change the units for individual parameters (I use metric for everything except rainfall which I like inches). 2. Many parameters on the display are harder to see when sitting across the room on the couch. I know that is not a real valid complaint, but I could at least glance over at the old display just to get a wind speed or a quick temp.

Not sure if either of those things can ever or will ever be adjusted in a firmware update.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »
It was definitely me doing the interrupting  :oops:

I use the display in my living room so I hadn't noted the issue with the units.  Dang, that stinks.  In my radio room I like to use C for temp and inches for rain.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »
Well, after 23 hours with the reserved IP the display stopped reporting again.  The display and router both show it’s connected and doing fine.

Hunk of junk, IMO.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »
So the the display and Atlas are communicating OK and the display shows everything as it should.  Its just the reporting of the data to WU that's not working as it should?

I wonder if the display sends the data to AcuRite or directly to WU. Is it a display problem, a wi-fi problem, AcuRite or WU problem??????

Sorry, I'm stumped and no help to you. I've had good luck dealing with AcuRite and they may be able to offer a solution or a replacement of your display.

Good Luck!!!

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 06:20:44 PM »
Acurite was also helpful with me on the DOA high definition display…so I can’t knock that.  I shot them a message and I’ll just have to see what they say.

Hopefully is a one-of problem and no one else has these troubles. 

I’ll admit I used to think people were crazy when they complained of difficulty in setting up the WiFi and of connectivity issues because the 5in1 direct to WiFi was straight forward and rock solid for me.  Now I’m eating those thoughts as I pull my hair out with this thing.  Lol. 

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 11:29:29 AM »
Ok, latest and greatest with my WiFi display in case anyone is following.

I had mine set up to report directly to wunderground...worked fine for two weeks then went bonkers and stopped reporting every single day until I forced it's hand with a factory reset.  After talking to acurite I tried things their way and now have it set to report to MyAcurite, and in turn to wunderground. 

Today, for the first time in TWO WEEKS it continued reporting through the morning.

It may be too early to call but I am knocking on wood....hopefully....I am done pulling my hair out.

On the flip side, this prompted me to get the cable company to check everything out (three times) and I got them to replace every single component and cable from my home to the street...so that's now running better than ever with downloads now at 350Mbps or better around the clock...yay for us!

Offline weather_man

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
I am using it, but only a couple weeks now.  So far I like it....but, had a power and internet outage over the weekend and had wifi connectivity issues thereafter.  Had to go through the whole setup again.  Knock on wood I have never had that problem with my 5in1 direct to wifi display.  As I almost always use PWS monitor its a pain when it doesn't update to wunderground. 

We'll have to see if this is recurring.

I actually have another question for you. You said you had a power outage... Did the battery backup allow it to still record data?

I did a short test of this after I put the AAA's in and the display just went black. However I did not have to redo the set up which tells me maybe it just saves your settings and the clock.

anything