Author Topic: A couple of photography/video questions  (Read 431 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
A couple of photography/video questions
« on: May 27, 2021, 05:31:07 PM »
I have a bunch of humming birds that are really active on a feeder just outside the kitchen window.

I have an iPhone 11 Max, and put it in 2x mode, which gets me closer, but still a bit away, along with window glass in the way, despite the vigorous application of cleaning attempts it is still degrading the image.

First question:  Is there any hardware or better software, to turn the camera (in still or video, especially slow motion mode) when I think the fellows are framed in the field of view.  That way I could set up my tripod and little smartphone holder adapter, and get closer without any degradation of the image by glass.  I had a Nikon D800 and it would take a software on laptop to do something called tethering where the image was shown on the laptop, and control of the camera was done via a connecting cable.

If I leave the window open from the kitchen to the feeder, I'm afraid one of the little guys will mistakenly fly at what seems like 50 mph into the house and I'd never catch him to turn him loose.

Second question is, when I have the Apple video, it is in .mov format.  Are there any good image/video editors I can use to crop the frame down and do a little image tweaking and reduce the end capture, usually of blank background?  If I use the built in functions of the phone,it is very imprecise and hard to do on the screen with my fat fingers or attempt at stylus. 

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: A couple of photography/video questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 06:34:08 PM »
It must be something with the window. My feeder is about 2 feet away from my window and my Android recorded fine in slow mo. It might be that you have it on 2X. Try recording with out the zoom and see what happens.
I would add the video but it's a huge file. :-(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:35:43 PM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 06:48:26 PM »
The problem is that the window glass is nearly 50 years old, and is not optical quality!
Yes, it does record, but the same principle of having no filters on a lens when you take highest resolution pictures.  In this case, the window glass is really a factor, easily visible by just looking through it.  Opening the window makes a world of difference.

Thx.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 07:52:49 PM »
Can you make your phone default to slo mo and get selfie stick with BT remote shutter button?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »
I don't have one but see they are popular and widely available.  I'll check with local stores tomorrow to see what is available.

I wasn't aware that smartphone cameras can be trigger with bluetooth, so that is just the info I was hoping to find.  Thank you.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 03:38:17 AM »
I didn't realize either until I bought it. I really wanted the tripod feature that is built into the handle. Got playing around after and discovered the detachable doo-hickey that will snap photo or start/stop video.

anything