Author Topic: Can't get Kevin's SW to work  (Read 5139 times)

Offline hardinj

Can't get Kevin's SW to work
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
I can’t get Kevin’s software to see the SmartHUB. I’ve installed the necessary software and bridged the two LAN connections (I think). I’ve included pictures to show what I’ve done. One picture is my dedicated Lenovo Windows 10 stick computer screwed to the bottom of my desk. It is attached to an HDMI cable and a 4:1 USB expander.  As you can see, there are 2 USB to LAN adapters and a 2.4 GHz keyboard dongle attached. Either USB to LAN adapters work fine connected to the internet via my router. When the SmartHub is connected to “Ethernet 3” I see the activity LED on the adapter flashing indicating the hub is active. When I do Setup on Kevin’s software I see 3 choices for a bridged connection…Microsoft, and 2 “Supereal” which I think are the names of the generic adapters.  I’ve included a screen shot of the bridged connections as well as the 3 choices in the drop down box. I’ve tried all three choices for more than 5 minutes and none work.  The software just says “Waiting for the bridge data. If this takes more than…”
I am new to bridging, but it seems like I should be bridged to the computer and not my router but I don’t know what to do about it.
Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

Offline WonderWX

Re: Can't get Kevin's SW to work
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
hi hardinj - do you see data is being posted to MyAcurite?

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »
Good starting point WonderWX !
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline hardinj

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »
Yes, it posts to Acurite if I connect the hub to a port on my router. As verification, you can see the data and a webcam image on WU...KCASANFR98.
For what it's worth I eventually want to do a Weather Display website.  I had one up years ago using an Oregon Scientific station but it wasn't reliable. 
thanks, Jim

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
If it stops posting to MyAcurite when you have it going through the windows10 bridged connection, it may not be getting an IP address.
From your stick computer, You can try to run arp -a from the Command Prompt (Start / Programs /  Windows System   or windows-r  and run CMD).
In the  Physical Address column  look for your acurite smarthub,  24-c8-6e-xx-xx-xx
You should be able to ping the IP address and connect to the smarthub using a web browser at its ip address.
If you have a laptop or another computer you can plug in to the adapter you have been trying the smarthub on, you can see if it obtains an IP address and can connect to the internet (and specifically http://hubapi.myacurite.com)
You can also run ipconfig /all  to see your IP configuration
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:56:25 PM by WonderWX »

Offline hardinj

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
I've been away during the Thanksgiving holiday, but now I'm back and I tried all the suggestions above from WonderWX.  I just can't see anything directly from the from the hub with the stick computer or my laptop.  That leads me to think the cheap $4 eBay USB/LAN adapter can't handle whatever protocol the hub is sending.  I've ordered a better adapter from Amazon and will give it a test and report back.
thanks,  Jim

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:54:56 PM »
Try using one of your USB/Ethernet ports, and the WiFi that you have disabled. Bridge those connections, and turn off your Windows 10 Firewll completely for testing purposes.

1. Establish WiFi connection, and make sure you can browse the web.
2. plug in Acurite bridge to Ethernet Port
3. Bridge network connections
4. Check My Acurite Dashboard to see if you are getting data (This must work at this point)
5. Select Bridged connection in Kevin's App
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:27:10 AM by ColoradoWeather »
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline hardinj

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 07:05:37 PM »
Thanks Jack
I got another USB/LAN adapter.  I turned off the Firewall and I was able to get my LAPTOP to work with Kevin's SW if I use the WiFi as the connection to the router. The bridging seems very finicky and I'm becoming convinced my issue is with Windows 10 bridging and not Kevin's SW. No success with the stick computer though.
I've invested many hours on this and I'm going to wrestle it to the ground eventually! I'm leaving on a trip and I'll try again next week.
regards,  Jim

Offline K9LEG

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
I'm trying this and am TOTALLY CONFUSED.

Do I need to physically connect my laptop to the SmartHub at some point?

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
Hi K9LEG - Kevin's program reads the data packets going from your SmartHub to the MyAcurite system. 
In order to do this, yes, the SmartHub needs to connect to your laptop on one network connection, and the laptop  needs second network connection to your router/ the internet connection.   The two network connections on the laptop need to be bridged, or Shared using Internet Connection Sharing in Windows.   There are plenty of sites on the web describing how to use bridging or ICS in your version of Windows.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:28:44 PM by WonderWX »

Offline K9LEG

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
Still not working.

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
Is the SmartHub successfully posting to MyAcurite when you have it connected to the laptop's Ethernet connection?
If not, bridging may not be working correctly. You could try doing Internet Connection Sharing instead.
If data is getting posted to MyAcurite, then data is getting thru the bridged network but something with kevin's program or its dependencies isn't working properly.  You could try running Wireshark to see more details.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:11:20 PM by WonderWX »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »
You want to select the second network device, the "Realtek PCIe GBE" adapter, then bridge the ethernet to the WiFI.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:16:43 PM by DoctorKnow »

anything