Author Topic: soil temperature sensor  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
soil temperature sensor
« on: November 11, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
it finally got cold enough for the 36 inch depth temperature probe to kick out bad data again,  claims -18F.   Better now.  I went out fiddled again with the wires, at the splice. I am guessing it is down deeper than that. Fortunately I have another probe

So I ordered a 36 inch depth auger for the electric drill.  when it arrives, I am going to pull the probe out of the ground, clean the hole with the auger and put in a new soil temperature probe.   Then things will work again.   

Not sure how or why the short occurs, but when I do get it back inside I can do some testing on the probe to see what is.    I look at it as something to do.  Being a retired science teacher can be boring.  trust me

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: soil temperature sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »
we are at 30 deg here at 18 inches.  waiting to see what it gets to as we  drop into the negative temps. think of next summer set up sensors at 1,2,3,and 4 foot which is about the end of the frost line even tho I have hit frost/ice at 5 feet after real cold winter.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »
I leave the sensors in the ground year round.  I then can see at what depth the ground is frozen.   Here the soil is saturated down to 3 feet, so I am betting that we get a deep freeze, depending on  the surface temperature.    as the soil moisture rises to 200  then I can see the freeze. at 200 it is frozen.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »
Well as of today we reached 23 deg F at 18 inches.  with very little snow pack  it dropped to this temp from 29 in a matter of days with temps air temps reach as low as 20  below.

John

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
"Growing" permafrost, are you?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »
Its been very warm vs normal Oct/Nov with only 22 days below freezing so far. Probes are 3"-16"-26"- 36".
First year of soil temperatures so nothing to compare with.
Randy

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
Growing" permafrost, are you?

Have to grow something so may as well be permafrost. I am in that belt of discontinue permafrost  and thankfully we don't have any in the area. One of the wife relatives is not so lucky and their cabin has some tilting to where the ice melted out under the footings.  That whole valley they live in is just an mass of permafrost. Roads need to get rebuilt about every 10 years due to the dips in it.

John

anything