Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue. Help with rain data?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline #41

Davis Vantage Vue. Help with rain data?
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »
Just got a new Vantage Vue 6250.  I hope I didn't just waste my purcahse.  I was told by davis customer service before I purchased I can do this but I can't figure out how to yet.

The only thing I'm cocerned with is rain at the moment.  Let's say I go out of town saturday and sunday.  On Monday I want to be able to see what the rain was in inches on sat and Sun.  davis CS said the press the rain button to select Rain Rate and then press the left arrow button and it will scroll through ~24 days or so.  Granted I just set it up so there is no past days data but scrolling left goes through various data towards the bottom of the screen.  It's not in front of me so I can't recall what all it displayed but it didn't seem to work like they said.

As I said, may be I need to give it some time but will this work like I need?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Davis Vantage Vue. Help with rain data?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
Maybe RTFM (Read The Fine Manual) page 30 and see if that's what you need.

Manual PDF at http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-261_IM_06351.pdf

Offline #41

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the link.

It came with a manual that I read.  I don't remember this being in the paper manual I received but I'll check on Monday.  If I'm reading/understanding correctly, page 30 mentions to press the Hi/low button to access previous days data.  If that's true I can't understand why davis would not tell me this info????

Either way, thanks.  I'll have to wait until monday to check for myself.  This station is located at work. 

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
Well if you are really interested in looking at past data you need a data logger.   Then you could see something like this.    There has been no rain here for several days so there is nothing in the day, storm, or rate column       

Or eve better you could see this.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KAZELFRI2

Offline #41

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
Thanks beaudog.  The logger is probably in my future but I'm hoping the unit does what I need for now.

So, I presume you have the ip or USB logger which uploads to weatherunderground?  What software is the screenshot from? 

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »
beaudog's screenshot is from the Weatherlink software that comes packaged with the Weatherlink datalogger.

Paul

Offline #41

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
thanks for the info.

So, is there a "dummies" guide to getting this thing connected to the internet?

I don't so much mind buying the davis datalogger but thought there were alternatives.  Of course, if they're difficult to get working that might deter me a bit.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
Most of the programs, including Weatherlink, have some How To information for anyone to follow, but perhaps a bigger learning curve for newbies.  To upload to services such as Weather Underground you have to sign up to get an ID so that your data can be accepted.  Each service is somewhat different.  To upload to your own website you need a domain and a webhost such as GoDaddy.
The best way is to go ahead and do it, and whenever you encounter some difficulty or don't understand give a yell on the forum.  Lots of folks here will gladly help and give advice.

Enjoy,
Paul