Author Topic: AcuRite Atlas aspirating fan doesn't always start up on its own  (Read 487 times)

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
AcuRite Atlas aspirating fan doesn't always start up on its own
« on: February 18, 2024, 01:02:10 PM »
I have had a couple Atlas units since they first came out due to the bugs not being worked out initially. The particular Atlas unit I have now, I have had since July. So I have had it for about 7 months. I have had no issues with it in any way, except for the aspirating fan not always starting up on its own in full sun. I have an Iris on the same 4x4 that I have the Atlas on. The Iris seems to always start up effortlessly and is older while my Atlas does not always. I have checked to ensure nothing is blocking the Atlas fan and that the temp/humidity sensor is secured properly and not blocking the blades of the fan. The blades are always free from anything. The way I get the fan to start is I tap a fan blade lightly with a small stick from my yard that has fallen and it starts up with no issue and stays on the rest of the day. It's the initial start up in the morning or when the sun goes behind the clouds for a bit and then comes back out for when I notice this. Also, the plug for the rain bucket to the main unit is fully secured and is straight. Not sure what to do, but it has become a pain to check on this every day almost lately. I did notice this first happening a couple months after receiving this Atlas unit. Any suggestions besides, "send it back"? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: AcuRite Atlas aspirating fan doesn't always start up on its own
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 02:04:22 PM »
What I would try first, is pop off the bottom of the radiation shield, (part with holes) then use the two side tabs to take out the temp sensor section. This will get you to the fan blade. Next, pull the fan blade off by pulling straight out with pliers. It isn't on real tight, so no need to be rough with it. Next oil the motor by turning everything upside down and let the oil get in around the stem of the motor. If this doens't fix it, which I think it will, you will need to take the whole thing apart to replace the motor.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 02:26:40 PM »
What I would try first, is pop off the bottom of the radiation shield, (part with holes) then use the two side tabs to take out the temp sensor section. This will get you to the fan blade. Next, pull the fan blade off by pulling straight out with pliers. It isn't on real tight, so no need to be rough with it. Next oil the motor by turning everything upside down and let the oil get in around the stem of the motor. If this doens't fix it, which I think it will, you will need to take the whole thing apart to replace the motor.

I will try this. I have lubed it before a few months ago, but I never took the fan blades off to do so. Thanks.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 04:18:18 PM »

DoctorKnow, I was able to successfully pull the fan off and squirt wd-40 up in there really good. I then put the fan back on. The Atlas was in shade at the time I did this due to my tree. When a little sun shined on the solar panel again, the fan started up instantly. I also can barely here the fan now, so I know I got it in there good. I did not take the Atlas off and flip it upside down as you said, because it would have been too much of a hassle at the moment. If I still have an issue, I will lube the motor this way next time. I guess before I thought I was lubing it and I actually wasn't really, or at least not very well. I didn't think I could pull the fan off that easy without possibly breaking it. Thank you. We will see.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »
The classic WD40 is more of a penetrant than a lubricant. You would be better off using a lubricating oil next time - it should do the job longer.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 05:44:57 PM »
The classic WD40 is more of a penetrant than a lubricant. You would be better off using a lubricating oil next time - it should do the job longer.

Rich K.

I hear you. This was the only thing I had at the time on hand today. I will get that next time to use if needed. Thanks.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 06:52:44 PM »
I realize it's all you have on hand, but WD-40 is a dust magnet and will eventually exacerbate the problem. Use a dry lube that doesn't collect junk in the air. Easy to find.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 07:01:57 PM »
I realize it's all you have on hand, but WD-40 is a dust magnet and will eventually exacerbate the problem. Use a dry lube that doesn't collect junk in the air. Easy to find.

Thank you. It definitely would be better based off of the brief research I just did on this kind of lube. You are right about the standard WD-40 acting as a dirt magnet. I will check this out. Curious, have you used a dry lube on this specific part yourself?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 07:21:29 PM »
Curious, have you used a dry lube on this specific part yourself?
No. I use a case fan, so it's not necessary. The only thing I use is an electronic cleaner for my wind vane. No lube.