Author Topic: Weather Underground Secondary Data Download  (Read 821 times)

Offline Ewan-Fraser

Weather Underground Secondary Data Download
« on: June 09, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
Hello Again,

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to be posting this or not, so please do let me know otherwise. But...

Does anyone know how to download someone else's daily weather station data? I have tried to copy and paste it into excel; however, excel refuses to recognise them as numbers. I have also tried to import them as a text file and have seen zero luck. I have been kindly given access to a php code file, however, I am not entirely clued up on this so I don't know where to start. So can anyone offer me some further assistance, it will be greatly appreciated?

If only Weather Underground was as easy as WeatherLink to download from :(

Many Thanks,
From a stressed out Geography Student,
Ewan

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: Weather Underground Secondary Data Download
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 11:31:11 PM »
Anything you copy/paste from a PWS data table will import into Excel as text.  Excel is smart enough to put things in to rows and columns but the labels on things like temperature (°F) will cause it to be text and not a number.

However, all is not lost.  If you search and replace " F" with nothing (i.e. blank, not a space) it'll get rid of all those and convert the temperatures to numbers.  Be sure you copy the "space" before the F from a cell (it is not a space, it's what the ° turned into) or it won't work.  Use "replace all".

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Same process gets rid of the % on humidity, "in" on pressure, etc.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 12:38:45 AM »
Or you could add columns to each line to convert the txt download to a number without the unit, and it would be done automatically

=NUMBERVALUE(LEFT(C9,LEN(C9)-2)) i.e. changes text -0.1 C to number -0.1
=NUMBERVALUE(LEFT(D9,LEN(D9)-2)) i.e. changes text -0.7 C to number -0.7

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ewan-Fraser

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 06:10:35 AM »
Thank you to you both.

But is there a way to do this for a number of days (365)? or will I just have to copy and paste each hourly data set?

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 06:34:01 PM »
There is no longer a way to retrieve data other than what is displayed in those tables.  You might be able to construct calls to the API and build it from that but it may be outside the scope of your project.

anything