Author Topic: Weather Underground Servers Down  (Read 7304 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Weather Underground Servers Down
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2021, 06:21:28 PM »
It's called mediocrity. This is exactly the attitude WU wants to hear and everyone who continues to send their data there does nothing but facilitate it. IBM is laughing all the way to the bank..
you have missed my point

WU does not care that you guys are cancelling
they are much bigger than that
but you are making data for other people in your area less valuable
so where is the harm in keeping on sending your data, so that it benefits other people?
I didn't miss anything. I couldn't care less what WU thinks one way or another. They suck. That's why I left years ago. As far as "less valuable"...I don't even know what that means. My neighbors potentially seeing corrupt or no data is the exact reason I quit WU. There are other much more reliable places I send my data. If that not good enough for them, they can buy their own PWS.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2021, 03:15:43 AM »
if u had valuable data
but then stopped sending
then your neighbours etc will miss out
that is what i mean by less valuable

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2021, 04:28:50 AM »
Well I see the graphing function keeps breaking still like your not sending data for some time.

I'm honestly thinking about stopping sending data this is just ridiculous.

Gladstone is suffering the same fate it looks like.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2021, 05:09:34 AM »
if u had valuable data
but then stopped sending
How myopic. If "they" want my valuable data, it's thankfully available through others than WU.

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2021, 06:19:22 AM »
if u had valuable data
but then stopped sending
How myopic. If "they" want my valuable data, it's thankfully available through others than WU.

One does not know all neighbours to tell them to look at your station at the xyz.website.
Most people know about WU and browse that site to look at "neighbouring" weather-stations, be it at home or on a trip.
I get new visitors, living in my area, who did not know that my site existed. They found the site  because they were browsing WU.

And there is another "goodie" when uploading to WU. 
The weather-forecast with  textual forecasts, not only numbers or icons. Just plain-simple to integrate thanks to the available php-scripts.

And you can also use the  API-key to download your data from the WU-servers to use to "old but trusted" CSV format to drive "history and reports" scripts.  Some regular visitors of my site download  data from a period they need for research, without having to ask me how to do that.  That feature was available on the old WU-station-dashboard and is still available on the  private history-scripts

Those "history and reports" scripts are old (8 years or more) but still maintained.
Did not see any similar new scripts arrive in the past years  which are using "valuable data, thankfully available through others than WU "

So "yes" WU  was, is and will be a PIA multiple times / year.  But uploading to WU costs no time.
My stations data will be uploaded to WU because of those extra's.    IMHO a fair deal for both WU and me.

Wim
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 06:24:16 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »
if u had valuable data
but then stopped sending

One does not know all neighbours to tell them to look at your station at the xyz.website.
Most people know about WU and browse that site to look at "neighbouring" weather-stations, be it at home or on a trip.
I get new visitors, living in my area, who did not know that my site existed. They found the site  because they were browsing WU.

And there is another "goodie" when uploading to WU. 
The weather-forecast with  textual forecasts, not only numbers or icons. Just plain-simple to integrate thanks to the available php-scripts.

And you can also use the  API-key to download your data from the WU-servers to use to "old but trusted" CSV format to drive "history and reports" scripts.  Some regular visitors of my site download  data from a period they need for research, without having to ask me how to do that.  That feature was available on the old WU-station-dashboard and is still available on the  private history-scripts

Those "history and reports" scripts are old (8 years or more) but still maintained.
Did not see any similar new scripts arrive in the past years  which are using "valuable data, thankfully available through others than WU "

So "yes" WU  was, is and will be a PIA multiple times / year.  But uploading to WU costs no time.
My stations data will be uploaded to WU because of those extra's.    IMHO a fair deal for both WU and me.

Wim

That's all very nice, but their current trajectory suggests that your data (as seen by visitors) will become more and more unreliable and unavailable (which reflects on your competency as a PWS operator, not on WU's inability to give a crap about it) as they accelerate toward oblivion.

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »

That's all very nice, but their current trajectory suggests that your data (as seen by visitors) will become more and more unreliable and unavailable (which reflects on your competency as a PWS operator, not on WU's inability to give a crap about it) as they accelerate toward oblivion.

After 50+ years in IT, building and maintaining large and small IT systems, I finally meet a clairvoyant who can predict  that WU will be "more and more unreliable" and end into "oblivion".

I "expect" the opposite. WU already did a good job salvaging what was usable from very old mainframe systems and they are still upgrading the new systems. 

Therefor I will continue to use WU for data-storage and their forecast. I am pretty sure that my EOL is far smaller then theirs.

I will check next year and each year thereafter if those products are valuable to me.
For now,  I expect my decent website and scripts to be usable for years to come, including those that use WU data.

Wim

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »
I grow weary of having to monitor my CumulusMX log files for this, which requires a restart to get reliable data back to WU:

Code: [Select]
2021-02-27 16:17:29.024 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:17:34.020 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:17:39.019 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:17:44.018 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:17:49.026 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:17:54.023 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:17:59.022 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:04.022 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:09.021 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:14.022 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:19.044 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:24.025 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:29.023 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:34.023 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:39.087 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:44.027 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:49.024 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:54.026 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:18:59.038 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:04.029 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:09.023 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:14.028 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:19.024 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:24.026 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:29.028 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:34.026 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:39.027 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:44.020 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:49.026 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:54.026 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:19:59.022 WU update: An error occurred while sending the request.
2021-02-27 16:20:00.484 Writing log entry for 2/27/2021 4:20:00 PM

This is a BIG reason why I'm, for now, stopping the Rapid Fire updates.  I'll keep sending incrementals, mainly because right now I still have an API key that I use on my internal site for weather forecasting.  If I find that I can still keep my api key, and disable updates, I will.  It's just too problematic anymore.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2021, 01:26:45 PM »

After 50+ years in IT, building and maintaining large and small IT systems, I finally meet a clairvoyant who can predict  that WU will be "more and more unreliable" and end into "oblivion".

Nice selective editing.  I said "their current trajectory suggests".  Anyone paying attention for the last five years can clearly see where WU is headed.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2021, 04:45:40 PM »
@CW2274
How myopic
I am not being short sighted,  but the opposite. I am looking at the bigger picture.
Sorry you cant see that.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2021, 05:04:36 PM »
The writing has been on the walls for several years now. They have slowly stripped many things from their site. Weather stickers, noaa radio, webcams, and now radar just to name a few. They used to even give you a nice link back to your site that you could find if you were a contributor. I would not even know where to find it today, if it even exists. The point here is the trend. They are trending in a direction to no longer exist. WU will become extinct and will be remembered as one of the greatest hobbyist websites for PWS data but destroyed by IBM. You can stay on the ship if you all want but once it goes down to the bottom of the ocean, how much good is that data going to be? The writing is on the wall.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2021, 05:20:51 PM »
if u had valuable data
but then stopped sending

It's called a "web search". If folks in my neighborhood want to see my data bad enough, they'll do just that and are very likely to find at least these two site. And guess what, they consistently work, and work well.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/LocalWeather?zone=AZZ504

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=C2274&unit=0&time=LOCAL&year1=2021&month1=2&day1=26&hour1=16&hours=24&graph=0&past=0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »
@CW2274
How myopic
I am looking at the bigger picture.
Sorry you cant see that.
Wow. Thanks for straightening me out...  My eyes are now wide open and guess what...I still see garbage. Sorry you can't see that.  ;)

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »
Jeff Masters was offered a great price....Bet he regrets what is happening to WU now......

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »
sure its nothing like it used to be
but what harm is there in still sending your data?
(i have not seen any good reason to stop sending your data other than " WU is  not what it used to be"..that's not a reason to stop sending your data
but I get its the age of cancel culture
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:48:12 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2021, 09:43:07 PM »
So, my last post was CANCELLED..... WHY? You do realize half the board has already read it right???

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2021, 10:16:35 PM »
As was mine... Guess FOS is out the window......Cancel Culture in full effect now....:roll:

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2021, 11:01:55 PM »
sure its nothing like it used to be
but what harm is there in still sending your data?
(i have not seen any good reason to stop sending your data other than " WU is  not what it used to be"..that's not a reason to stop sending your data
but I get its the age of cancel culture

That's...funny.

The original deal was we buy, calibrate and maintain our PWSs and send data to WU in exchange for them providing a PWS page and a damn convenient way to see all the others.  They get free use of the data to build the best micro-climate database in the world.  For that we got an ad-free experience (worth a whopping $10/yr) and some pretty neat backend processing for current and historical data including weather cam images.  Since about October 2017 WU has slowly but surely backed out of that and appears to be in full self-destructive mode. Even their own primary weather product pages (see: Radar) don't work.

You can claim "cancel culture" but the ones being "cancelled" are the hundreds of thousands of PWS owners IBM is busily screwing over with their if-it-weren't-so-sad-it-would-be-hilarious incompetence.  You, on the other hand, seem to like it.  To each his own...

Here's an example of that incompetence.  Their primary weather radar page is often laughably behind real time.  It is currently 11:10 PM EDT and I just screen-grabbed this bit of crusty nonsense, over three hours old:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:12:27 PM by WSWeather »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2021, 11:15:47 PM »
It would be really great if an appropriate representative from IBM  told us, via post in this Forum or another designated website, what its vision for WU really is. Those of us that have sent our pws data to WU for years (in my case) would like a simple answer—that is all. If WU isn’t profitable or isn’t in your future business plan—just state that and we will just move on.   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:42:36 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2021, 11:19:54 PM »
It would be really great if an appropriate representative from IBM  told us, via post in this Forum or another designated website, what its vision for WU really is.
I'll give Victoria full credit for trying to keep this leaky boat afloat with the PWS owners, which I am sure she didn't sign up for when she started working for IBM.  But all she can do is report our concerns to whoever is really in charge of this, and I suspect that is far above her pay grade.

All indications are that WU is slowly being absorbed by weather.com and they really are not interested in the WU branding.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2021, 11:28:33 PM »
It would be really great if an appropriate representative from IBM  told us, via post in this Forum or another designated website, what its vision for WU really is.
All indications are that WU is slowly being absorbed by weather.com and they really are not interested in the WU branding.
Do tell and please respond to this before my post is cancelled, but is this in your eyes a good, bad, or indifferent thing?

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2021, 12:54:03 AM »
So, my last post was CANCELLED..... WHY? You do realize half the board has already read it right???
It was deleted because it was rude and didn't contribute to a polite discussion.

Your behavior on the forum has now reached the breaking point.  Either tone it down or leave or be evicted.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2021, 01:22:57 AM »
It was deleted because it was rude and didn't contribute to a polite discussion.

Your behavior on the forum has now reached the breaking point.  Either tone it down or leave or be evicted.
This forum is no longer worth my time and effort.

Thank you to all here who have helped me in my PWS endeavors.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
As was mine... Guess FOS is out the window......Cancel Culture in full effect now....:roll:

There is no FOS here. This is a private venue. This is Ken's house. His house, his rules. Come in here and shit post, expect to get the ban hammer.
I think that is easy enough to understand.  [tup]
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2021, 05:54:23 PM »
Thanks kid..... =D>