Weather Station Hardware > Davis Instruments Weather Stations

Rain Gauge Issues with new VP2

(1/9) > >>

Padnandos:
i recently upgraded my Vue to a VP2 a few weeks ago.

What i have noticed is that the rainfall everyday is off compared to my old vue. Even though i have the Vue and VP2 side by side and at the same height. The New VP2 under reads by as much as 2mm.

Its extremely frustrating especially with a new vp2.

Now ill say this but i dont know if it makes any difference, my old vue is an american model so its calibrated in factory to 0.01" with every tip whereas the vp2 is calibrated to 0.2mm(UK Model).

I have made sure there is no more potential issues that could be causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

mikemaps:
You need a manual rain gauge near the Vantage's to see which one is closer to being correct. Can't go by just 1 or 2 lighter rains & don't forget the specs say they are accurate to something like 5%, not perfect.

Mattk:
2mm by itself isn't any real indication. Even if both gauges were calibrated 2mm is still possible and acceptable depending on rain rate compared to the different gauges. As for factory calibration don't read too much in that, calibration is something a little different relative to the imperial or metric counter weights that can be fitted. The other thing is how do you know which is actually off (if any), all things being equal I would take the VP2 over the Vue   

Padnandos:

--- Quote from: Mattk on April 10, 2021, 05:43:54 PM ---2mm by itself isn't any real indication. Even if both gauges were calibrated 2mm is still possible and acceptable depending on rain rate compared to the different gauges. As for factory calibration don't read too much in that, calibration is something a little different relative to the imperial or metric counter weights that can be fitted. The other thing is how do you know which is actually off (if any), all things being equal I would take the VP2 over the Vue   

--- End quote ---

Well just looking at surrounding stations, they seem to be closer to my old Vue. I know I shouldn’t go by nearby stations, but they are pretty close within 3km.

I would stress that the VP2 is roughly 2.5 metres off the ground, but it’s the best I can do with my garden due to buildings. But the Vue is literally the same height and right beside the VP2.

Today for example I had a light shower.
My old Vue recorded 0.2mm
The new VP2 recording 0.0mm

When I took off the rain cone of the VP2 and I found that the tipping spoon was nearly full of water but obviously not enough to tip the spoon.

Mattk:
Correct, don't get worried regard any surrounding stations, they really don't mean anything in any of this.

So at this point a figure of 2mm was mentioned, 2mm in how what rain total? Unless both the Vue and VP2 have been calibrated then everything is rather meaningless. As mentioned there will typically be a difference between totals even if calibrated and variable depending on rain rates     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version