Author Topic: Weewx & Belchertown - wind speed is "way off"  (Read 874 times)

Offline flygpagen

Weewx & Belchertown - wind speed is "way off"
« on: February 17, 2021, 05:57:10 AM »
Hello! I've now run my FO WH2900 for a couple of weeks and have noticed that the wind speed is reported too high. The station transmitts the speed & gust in mph, in my conf-files (weewx.conf & belchertown/skins/skin.conf) I have set the speed to knots. I also have a Wunderground site that gets the data directly from the station, set up using WS View. When I listen to the data sent to the RBPi I see windspeed in mph, and the exact same values are presented on the WU-site (and in my Ecowitt app also).

I then changed units in weewx.conf and skin.conf to be mile_per_hour to see if the values are corrected but instead I get the same speed but written as "mph" instead of "knots". So I wonder where the conversion is made that is not correct. A couple of snippets from the config below.

- I use an MQTT server to push the data to Belchertown. In weewx.conf [StdRESTful][[MQTT]]unit_system = METRIC
- In weewx.conf [StdConvert] is untouched, target_units = US

Since settings in weewx.conf overrides settings in skin.conf this is as far as I know all settings that applies. Is it better to clear the database and use target_units = METRIC to get it right? Removing METRIC for the MQTT provides some interesting results. All other values on the site are correct, only windspeed & gust is wrong.

My Weewx site here.
My WU here.

Thanks in advance!

Offline flygpagen

Re: Weewx & Belchertown - wind speed is "way off"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:01:25 PM »
This looks more and more like a Belchertown skin issue. Will take this to the github issues.

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 07:51:44 PM »
easiest way to check that is to enable a different skin (Standard or Seasons) and see if the same thing exists there.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline flygpagen

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
Thanks, but it is an issue in Belchertown 1.2. Upgraded to development version and that fixes the problem.

anything