Author Topic: MODIS Dec23 image with nice snow band and cloud structures  (Read 1160 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
MODIS Dec23 image with nice snow band and cloud structures
« on: December 23, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
To me, at least, this MODIS NOAA provided image shows a nice bunch of clouds over Lake Superior and to the east coast, long bands of thin structures.

In the mid to lower part of the image there are clear skies, but showing a narrow band of snow, with very sharp boarders.  Very cool.

If you've not been looking at HTRP type images from the polar orbiters, our friends at the University of Wisconsin Space Science and Engineering Center provide these along with archives of the passes. 

The country is divided up into sections, and if you click on one of the blue outlined boxes, you can then get 2000m, 1000m or 250 m images from the satellites.  Sorry that I couldn't attach the 250m image, only the 1000m due to size restriction for attachments.

Here's the UW SSEC address for your enjoyment:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

Have fun, and I'm interested in what others think of the sharp borders of the snowfall.  I recall an image I got via APT one fall across Wisconsin that was similar.  I lived neared the souther border and recall that the snow on the ground went to zero within a mile of the edge on the satellite.  I would guess that rainfall in the warmer months would be the same, rather than feathered out. 
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: MODIS Dec23 image with nice snow band and cloud structures
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
I'm interested in what others think of the sharp borders of the snowfall.
I think it's a glitch. Here's a visible pic and there's absolutely no change in it and temps throughout the region are well above freezing. Terrain is no factor either.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-OH_RV-02-96-1-50-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
Beautiful picture and animation.

But the same surface features are there, and the rivers and other stuff are similar, including the two areas of early snow, or whatever, from the lower left towards the upper right.

The image you sent is from a GOES satellite.  The MODIS image is from a polar orbiter, different instruments on different platforms.

I'm puzzled.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »
The image DaleReid posted is from site:    http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

Explanation from the site: 
MODIS (or Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) is a key instrument aboard the Terra (originally known as EOS AM-1) and Aqua (originally known as EOS PM-1) satellites. Terra's orbit around the Earth is timed so that it passes from north to south across the equator in the morning, while Aqua passes south to north over the equator in the afternoon. Terra MODIS and Aqua MODIS are viewing the entire Earth's surface every 1 to 2 days, acquiring data in 36 spectral bands, or groups of wavelengths (see MODIS Technical Specifications).

Also see:  https://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/about/

I have been following this site for many years and some of the images have been fantastic.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »
The image you sent is from a GOES satellite.  The MODIS image is from a polar orbiter, different instruments on different platforms.
I'm puzzled.
Oh, I stupidly thought they were the same. Is or is it not snowfall?

:???:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 09:53:59 PM »
Looks like snow to me.  I've seen this kind of pattern before.  The polar orbiters give a different perspective and for further north lattitudes the look angle of GOES is just too oblique to be as clear as the 90 degree straight down.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:22:48 PM »
Looks like snow to me.  I've seen this kind of pattern before.  The polar orbiters give a different perspective and for further north lattitudes the look angle of GOES is just too oblique to be as clear as the 90 degree straight down.
But that's just it, as you point out, totally different sats, but the pics are exactly the same. I can only assume that the snow line is the freeze line due to higher terrain, and hasn't budged one inch, the entire encompass of it, through the loops. Just seems fishy...

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 11:09:43 PM »
What you see is snow on the ground. This is the same sector taken on February 08, 2011. Incredible detail, showing rivers and cities.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The snow in the original picture is left from a storm that dumped over 5" of snow across central Illinois and Indiana, almost entirely flat farmland.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:16:18 PM by Notsorusty »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 11:28:16 PM »
What you see is snow on the ground.
The snow in the original picture is left from a storm that dumped over 5" of snow across central Illinois and Indiana, almost entirely flat farmland.
Yep, concur. When I take the sat pic I posted earlier and slide it back and forth manually, you can see the leading edge of the snow pack ever so slightly melt. I missed that before and is what made me dubious.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »
This is a clipping from today's scan. That snow belt is melting, temps in Indianapolis around 63 degrees. Chicago is nearing 58, not record breakers but we are enjoying the warmth. Christmas roast on the grill, no coat needed!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Note the light blue around the Lake Michigan shoreline. Effects of the zebra mussels that have invaded the Great Lakes from the ocean going freighters' bilge and ballast tanks. They are very efficient at filtering the water of most everything including the plankton and other "bottom of the food chain" water life. This is affecting the fishing trade as the smallest fish have nothing to eat. Soon the big fish won't have any food either. The mussels have no predators here and they are taking over, clogging water intakes, boat hulls and everything else.