Author Topic: AcuRite Not Accepting Responsibility WiFi unit no connectivity to WU  (Read 3000 times)

Offline SuperLid

They are blaming WU, but I know better. They are hosing us. Displays need to be replaced with end user configurable GUI immediately. If not, complaints need to be filed with state AG's consumer fraud. These were advertised as WU units. Now, they do not work.

They can beg WU all day long for mercy, so they can avert the losses of replacing units, by reverting to the old URL. But this is a band aid fix. What if it happens again? What if WU is no more someday? What then? What will we connect to?

Lies and excuses is what I got from ACURITE  this morning. This is unacceptable.

The people need to be firm and demand a viable and reliable product.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:24:50 AM by SuperLid »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: AcuRite Not Accepting Responsibility WiFi unit no connectivity to WU
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:39:27 PM »
I think they should move on from Wunderground, or it could ruin them. Wunderground is a joke, and I blame them, more than anyone.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
 :roll:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:16:19 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »
They are blaming WU, but I know better. They are hosing us. Displays need to be replaced with end user configurable GUI immediately. If not, complaints need to be filed with state AG's consumer fraud. These were advertised as WU units. Now, they do not work.

They can beg WU all day long for mercy, so they can avert the losses of replacing units, by reverting to the old URL. But this is a band aid fix. What if it happens again? What if WU is no more someday? What then? What will we connect to?

Lies and excuses is what I got from ACURITE  this morning. This is unacceptable.

The people need to be firm and demand a viable and reliable product.

A few things . I'm not defending Acurite just thought I would bring this up . First this isn't the first time this has happened between WU and acurite . When Acurite had it's own forum we had the same problem with the smarthubs at one point after another WU update . Also after the Access came online it happened again . Both times Acurite worked with WU to solve the problem . Did it happen overnight ? NO it took day's for this to happen . People who where on the old Acurite board will remember this .

Also I got this from Acurite twitter just now " AcuRite Support
We are currently aware of an issue regarding WiFi display units and streaming to Weather Underground and are working with Weather Underground to determine the cause of this issue. Please feel free to private message us if you are experiencing another issue!
Haylee
AcuRite Support

So I do believe they are working on a solution but it's has to be done with WU . I know it sucks but like I said this has happened before and WU and Acurite solved it then .

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:13:24 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:46 PM »
First and foremost, this issue is not relevant to My AcuRite equipment. Secondly, the WiFi/WU platform, is rubbish. If AcuRite does not provide access to the user interface of the wifi radio, we are toast any time WU makes a change. The wifi/wu display, is a WU only black box, that is useless if the connection parameters change.

This is a joke from an engineering standpoint and egg on their faces.

I saw what it takes to configure the ESP8266/ESP WROOM2 wifi radio, which is what is used in these devices. There was no consideration given in the development for future changes in end point connectivity.

These panels need to be replaced with a user configurable device. End of story. For the time being, while they beg and plead with WU, to go back to the former URL so that these units report and they don't have to dig into their profit margin by replacing these junk boxes, I have two homes that were monitored remotely for frozen pipe aversion. Now I am at a huge risk of this occurring, while the AcuRite BS artists work through their super bowl hangovers.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:36:05 PM by SuperLid »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »
The "connection parameters" aren't supposed to change.  They are defined in WU's upload protocol.  You can send http or https to a few host names.  That's it.

There's no reason for Acurite to provide a user interface to the WiFi radio.  The WiFi isn't changing.  Wunderground doesn't care that it is Wifi.

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »
@Nincehelser, I am aware of this, but you misunderstood my point.

The parameters did change, which is why my display no longer connects. The DNS resolution needs to take place, but is not, because of the poor methodology used to idiot proof the connection to WU. 

It's not the *WIFI*, it is the *WIFI/WU* *DISPLAY*, that is a problem. I cannot change the endpoint parameters, due to the lack of ability to direct my IP traffic *MYSELF*!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »
I didn't misunderstand anything.  What you say makes no sense when other brands and models are also having issues.

You do not need to change the endpoint parameters.  You do not need to redirect the IP traffic.  Even if you could it wouldn't necessarily make it compatible with other services, as there are some differences between them.

Wunderground is having some internal problems.  That much is clear.  You're going to have to wait until things settle down.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 01:57:11 PM »
I saw what it takes to configure the ESP8266/ESP WROOM2 wifi radio, which is what is used in these devices. There was no consideration given in the development for future changes in end point connectivity.

Once again, wunderground doesn't care about your Wifi.  You don't need to change anything in the WiFi radio.  Period.

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »
Once again, you are off point.

If you have nothing of value to offer *MY* thread, move along. Period.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 02:36:41 PM »
Once again, you are off point.

If you have nothing of value to offer *MY* thread, move along. Period.

I'm exactly on point.  I can tell you a lot about how the protocol works, as I've programmed for it.  What you're saying about needing control the WiFi radio makes absolutely no sense.

This is not *YOUR* thread, BTW.

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
@nincehelser

I am the OP, therefore, it is MY thread...hit the road.

I have read your elitist snarky responses to others on this forum. I am not interested in anything you have to offer.

over 3300 posts, with 132 likes, speaks volumes about you. Before I ever joined or posted, I knew I was going to butt heads with you. Just hit the road. Please...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:46:01 PM by SuperLid »

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »
I am not posting BS Nincehelser, you are simply an antagonist.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop hijacking my thread with your vitriol and move along.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »
Alright enough both of you.

Nincehelser, first I'd like to say thank you for keeping it cool. That is a big change. But I'd only like to point out that instead of just continuing to state your point, that sometimes people need to see better where you are coming from rather than making them feel like they are the idiot. When you know you are right do it with better bed side manners. In this case I agree with you. WiFi has nothing to do with it. But the issue is a difference of semantics. What SuperLid is referring to as WiFi is not the same thing as your literal translation of WiFi.

SuperLid, I sympathize with your frustration. But let's get a few things straight. This is not your thread. It is a public forum with decorum as a requirement. You are as much to blame for not understanding what Nincehelser has to say about WiFi and protocols. I understand that the purpose of the thread is to call to attention that you can't reprogram where the data goes. But it is not as simple as you make it seem. Ecowitt for example does provide a way for users to send data to a "Customized" server address and this can be done with one of two supporting protocols; Ecowitt.net proprietary protocol and WU protocol. It turns out that the WU protocol is exactly the same as what PWSweather and AWEKAS use. Also WeeWx accepts it via the Interceptor driver.  I'm not aware of anyone else that supports the WU protocol. If you wanted you could take hold of the your weather data with software like Acuparse and WeeWx. None of this has anything to do with WiFi. The WiFi is only the physical medium. I suggest you study the OSI layers. Hardware (WiFi) is layer 1 and the application is layer 7 which is where HTTP lives. There is a whole lot of stuff between layer 1 and layer 7. Therefore WiFi has nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:26:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 03:32:33 PM »
@Galfert,

I started this thread, to garner the attention of the people that invested in this substandard product, that might motivate AcuRite to "do the right thing" going forward.

I did not start this thread, for educational purposes, or to understand how a  networking guru or developers mind works. I know what I am talking about and I understand it. I tried to convey it in a way that someone that does not bit bang or dream about IP address pools for a living, might understand it. I wasn't trying to impress anyone with tech talk and 5 dollar words.

I have read this forum a long time, but just joined yesterday. I read Nincehelser's responses to others for quite some time, shaking my head in disbelief at his arrogance. I should have ignored him, but after the conversation I had with AcuRite via chat this morning, I was in no mood for semantics, nor am I an idiot, nor so I need anyone to "splain" to me, the way they want to "splain" it.

Yes, you are correct, I am held hostage by the wifi direct device, because I have no way to alter how the box talks to WU. I can't come up with words that explain that any simpler than I just did. WU may not be around forever. I see that as poor planning for the future and I want it fixed and now.

Sorry for hijacking my own topic.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 03:35:58 PM »
I think they should move on from Wunderground
No kidding....they OR you. How many times must one  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) before one gets the point.  :roll:

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 03:48:55 PM »
CW2274, yes, his comment was of little value, but no need to attack him personally.

The topic here is specific to the AcuRite WiFi direct to WU units only. For the unfortunate ones that bought these devices, we don't have the ability to dump WU, apart from investing in new hardware. I myself, displaced other hardware that was independent of WU, for these WiFi/WU only units, so I didn't need to dedicate a PC to my WX station.

It seemed like a great idea at the time, but now I regret my decision. It is what I have to deal with at the moment. My initial plan was to run the USB display under a RPi/weewx. But, this was easier and faster. Now I have almost new unts that don't work now, not for a week and maybe never again in the future as they are built.

Getting divorced from AcuRite and WU is a great idea on paper, but that is not the solution I am here for.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:51:30 PM by SuperLid »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »
CW2274, yes, his comment was of little value
Completely disagree. WU is a train wreck. It needs to be put out of it's/our misery so people can move along to something that can truly be relied upon. 

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
You missed my point. His, as does your, comment have little value in respect to the topic, regardless of the truth in the statement.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »
@Galfert,

I started this thread, to garner the attention of the people that invested in this substandard product, that might motivate AcuRite to "do the right thing" going forward.

Sounds good. I agree that Acurite needs to hear from their user base. I'm not sure that they read this forum anymore nor how much they care. But it doesn't hurt to vent (in a reasonable way). I too would like to see Acurite implement many changes. But I can say the same thing about any other brand.

I did not start this thread, for educational purposes, or to understand how a  networking guru or developers mind works. I know what I am talking about and I understand it. I tried to convey it in a way that someone that does not bit bang or dream about IP address pools for a living, might understand it. I wasn't trying to impress anyone with tech talk and 5 dollar words.

Well it just looks to me like you lost your patience probably even before you read the response given because of your predisposition of whom you were talking to. I'm sure your agrivation with the Acurite situation didn't help. You can always learn even from those you dislike. Accept what you don't know and you'll be better respected. And always be willing to learn. For what it's worth I understood you and what you really meant to say.

I have read this forum a long time, but just joined yesterday. I read Nincehelser's responses to others for quite some time, shaking my head in disbelief at his arrogance. I should have ignored him, but after the conversation I had with AcuRite via chat this morning, I was in no mood for semantics, nor am I an idiot, nor so I need anyone to "splain" to me, the way they want to "splain" it.

Well the admin/mods have discussed various people and their previous actions. Everyone has been dealt with. Some people have been banned in the past. If anyone is currently still here that you may feel should not be, please be assured that conditions have been put in place. We got this. Everyone do your part to get along and only then can you point fingers.

Yes, you are correct, I am held hostage by the wifi direct device, because I have no way to alter how the box talks to WU. I can't come up with words that explain that any simpler than I just did. WU may not be around forever. I see that as poor planning for the future and I want it fixed and now.
Well, with the knowledge I shared you have options to get the data. It may take a bit of work and investment in hardware/software but you don't have to be hostage to Acurite. If you don't like any of the various solutions then vote with your wallet and buy a different brand next time. I understand that this is not the focus of why you started this thread. I'm just trying have you see that you do have solutions. So rather than look at it like a black box that you can't reprogram, instead add hardware and software so that you can get and do more with the data.

If you still want to vent so that Acurite changes their stations to make it easier to get at the data, that is fine too. And I agree with you that they should.
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »
regardless of the truth in the statement.
Yeah, well, sometimes the truth hurts and dare we let facts get in the way.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 04:16:44 PM »
You missed my point. His, as does your, comment have little value in respect to the topic, regardless of the truth in the statement.

I'm trying to work with you. You can't have this attitude here against other users. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong and in whatever thread as long as it is on topic and not spam and done so respectfully.

It is a perfectly valid opinion and comment to for someone else to say that WU is not worth the trouble in this very thread. You may not find that of value. But it sort of is on topic. You bought something that relied on WU. Just think of all the future weather station owners that will one day read this thread and learn how limiting it might me to overlook and buy a station that seemingly only uploads to WU. Therefore the comment has value. I understand it has no value to you. Others opinions need to be respected. We all respect your frustration in your current situation. Responses in a thread are not just intended for the OP (as long as they are on topic). You can even say that the comment has no value to you, but you best do it respectfully.

A topic can take a turn. You are venting about a closed black box (your words). But I don't think it is so closed up. You can intercept those WU packets. You may not like that solution, but it is what it is. Next time do better research before you buy. I don't have a problem with you wanting Acurite to provide easier functionality to get at the data. I agree with you there. If you want that to be the focus of this thread that is fine. But you can't shun off others that present differing opinions.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:31:43 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline SuperLid

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 06:00:19 PM »
FedEx just delivered a replacement 06086M direct from AcuRong, because they said mine was broken.... ](*,)

Offline K5GHS

• K5GHS's Website
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 07:50:58 PM »
Considering all of the threads I'm seeing and users (including myself) having issues with WU, I wouldn't be so quick to blame AccuRite. 

I personally have had years and years of trouble free usage with AccuRite.  WU...well, it likes to get mental periodically.

They just had a ISP change that has caused connectivity issues over the last few days. 

You might want to read other topics on the subject, just saying.  There are quite a few on this very board at the moment.
Joshua
K5GHS
http://www.k5ghs.radio

Collin County, TX  Grid: EM13qd  CWOP: AV590
Skywarn Repeaters:  147.180 Primary 146.740 Secondary
100% Emergency Powered Ham Radio Station (540AH Batteries/Solar Rechargeable)
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 07:53:43 PM »
Has anyone with the AcuRite WiFi console ever tried using it with an Atmocom?

https://atmocom.com

If I understand how it works, it pretends to be a WiFi access point for the console, and intercepts WU packets to distribute to other services via a local server on a Raspberry Pi or equivalent.

I have it from a reputable source that there is a WeeWX station driver for Atmocom data, which should be able to post to WU and all over the Internet from there.  It is easier than the WeeWX interceptor driver for non-geeks to set up.

Anyway, I don't have an Atmocom or an AcuRite WiFi console, but figured that I would throw the option out there if someone wants to test it as a workaround for the WiFi consoles.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

anything