Author Topic: My wind vane is dead/Davis Vue  (Read 1175 times)

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
My wind vane is dead/Davis Vue
« on: February 16, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »
Today I looked at my wind direction and it has not moved all the day from 314 NW wind, only showing one arrow.

I went to check on the weather station itself and all seem to be ok and the wind vane was moving correctly. For more annoyance when i was taking the very small 0.05 scree that links the vane with the little metal support the nut felt and now it is in the grass and makes impossible to see it of find it.. really annoyed.

My questions are what could cause the reading to be stuck at the same point? Will it be a faulty sensor inside of the unit? As the vane was spinning freely but the direction on the console was not changing at all.

My second question is where can i buy a 0.05 screw replacement? Or will i need to buy the hole wind vane (pointless if there is another issue inside of the weather station unit ie.sensor)

All in all really annoying.. hopefully you guys can help me.. tomorrow with the day light i will try and find the screw in the grass as i dont think will be another way to attach the vane to my Davis Vue station

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: My wind vane is dead/Davis Vue
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 02:05:53 PM »
tomorrow with the day light i will try and find the screw in the grass
You might get lucky running a strong magnet through the grass.

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
I did just run a fridge magnet.. but this screw is so so small. Maybe tomorrow on daylight.. or maybe buy a new wind vane. But not even with a new wind vane can assure the wind direction is going to work again as maybe is something to be with the wind cartridge.

Is is very difficult to disassembly the Vue vantage in order to check the wind cartridge and give it maybe a clean?

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:17:16 PM »
Possible checks:

- the metal shaft rotates smoothly?

- Is it firmly attached with the Allen screw?

- Have you disassembled the unit to see the inner end of the shaft on the other side of the weather vane?

-is the magnet in place?

next to the magnet there is a PCB protrusion where the sensor goes

check sensor connections to ISS

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
Thanks for the answer EA1EF

Tomorrow i will take the ISS from the mast it is installed and disassembly it.

From first check i had at the ISS (with not a lot of daylight left)

- Shaft was rotating smoothly (not stuck)
- It was firmly attached with the Allen screw (I have lost the screw.. and not sure how i am going to replace.. if i will have just to buy the hole vane)
- I have not disassembled the unit to see the inner end of the shaft.
- Could you specify what you mean by saying if it is the magnet in place? Can the magnet be unattached of the shaft?
- Can you show me or let me know how the PCB protrusion looks?
- Where can i see the connections to the ISS

I saw a video on Youtube that maybe will help me about repair of Vantage Vue.. i dont want to buy the Vue direction cartridge if is not needed to be replaced... same goes with the vane little screw..i wonder (if I dont find it tomorrow in daylight) if i can get a replacement just of the little screw or will need to buy the vane again..

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
(I have lost the screw.. and not sure how i am going to replace..
I would be shocked if Ryan doesn't have one. His contact info is at the bottom.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product-category/davis-instruments/parts/

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »
Only thing is that I’m based in Uk.. if it comes that I have to buy a new vane does it includes the little screw? I believe will do.. a very expensive screw.. maybe worthy try with loctite glue?

Offline Solskin

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »
It could be the wind vane sensor faulty or a fault in the transmitter unit. The only way to tell is to replace the parts, the good news is that these parts are available, but at a price, from Holland ( they ship to the UK)
I just bought a complete sensor and transmitter kit for my Vue. These are unavailable from Davis ( they are only interested in selling you a new ISS.
If you want details of the retailer, let me know.
They also sell the wind vane, but it’s around £25.

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 06:49:45 AM »
Sure.. could you give me details of the retailer please? At the moment I will go by easy to difficult. I will open the iss later on give it a quick clean and check inside the cartridge.. not really sure what to look at that.. but then replace the cartridge which I can still find in the Uk and last thing the transmitter as maybe that’s the most expensive..(do you know the price?)

Offline Solskin

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 06:57:53 AM »
I paid €129 ( plus postage to France) for the transmitter unit / sim. It depends on the manufacturing code on the bottom of the ISS as to what transmitter kit you need. ( there’s a label on the bottom of the ISS that shows the code)
This is the retailer in Holland

https://weerhuisje.nl/en/weather-station-acc/davis/g-10000020

Offline Solskin

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
I don’t think there is anything to clean or adjust in the wind vane cartridge, but at the top of the spindle there is a magnet which is picked up by a sensor at the base of the transmitter. Check this is screwed down tightly and not loose.

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »
Many thanks for your help. Could you point me exactly on a picture at the exact part of the cartridge I need to be looking at??

So I believe checks will be wind vane spin free, cartridge movement? If all this ok then you reckon transmitter as all the rest of parts/ reports from iss seem all ok is just wind direction stop reporting.. would you think cartridge replacement will b best bet?

Offline Solskin

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
I’m not sure what is inside the wind vane cartridge, I suspect it is just the spindle and bearings. At the top of the spindle though is a counterweight and a magnet which reacts with the sensor at the base of the transmitter. I have read that the top of the spindle with the magnet can break off so it might be worth checking that. People have also got the wind direction working again just by cleaning the magnet face.
If you take the ISS apart ( just 4 screws) then take the transmitter off ( undo 2 screws and leave the solar panel attached) you can see the spindle assembly and looking at the transmitter base, you will see the sensor. As the wind direction is transmitted to the sensor with a magnet, perhaps putting a small magnet near the sensor and moving it might show on the display as a change of direction.

If the sensor is faulty, then, depending on the manufacturing code, you will need a new ISS or complete transmitter and sensor unit. Or just a transmitter unit if it is an earlier version.
The link to the retailer as posted earlier shows the later (revision M ) units.
I have seen the earlier units with plug in sensors on eBay.

This is a YouTube video of stripping the ISS down. It’s the earlier version with plug in sensors. If this isn’t the same as yours, keep watching as it shows how to get at the wind vane cartridge.

https://youtu.be/Q3RCoG1Rej0

I’ve done a couple of edits here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:28:08 AM by Solskin »

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
My Davis Vue is M manufactured version.. I don’t know if that will say something to you. Transmitter seems to be quite a big step price ways.. I will check the cartridge magnets first and so and so and then if still not working I will go with the cheapest first to change the cartridge.

I saw already the video yesterday seems quite straight forward :) anything else you can suggest? Very kindful if you ;)

Offline Solskin

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »
No problem. I had a job trying to sort mine out and learned a lot about how it works in a few short days!
Mine is the early M version with removable solar panel and I bought the 7345.917a PCBA (or SIM kit. )
I think, unless the vane cartridge is physically broken, it will probably be OK. I would try a magnet near the sensor first to see if the direction changes.
I had to buy a new kit because my outdoor humidity sensor was reading erratically. Everything is sealed in these units and component replacement is all but impossible ( if you can get spare parts.
Anyway, best of luck. I notice someone is selling a Vantage Vue ISS on eBay for £149!

Offline Solskin

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
Ok, so, I did a bit of playing about with the transmitter and sensor kit that I removed this afternoon.
With the unit powered up, and placing a magnet near the sensor underneath the transmitter, the wind direction showed on the display. I rotated the magnet and the wind direction changed, so if you can do the same and the wind direction displays and changes, then the sensor is ok. If not, the sensor is faulty and you will need the whole kit.
If it does change direction, then you should be looking at a fault with your wind vane spindle.
Hope this helps.

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »
Thank you again Solskin not the best news i tried what you suggested.. and placing a magnet next to the sensor did not make change the wind direction.. I think at the moment i will leave it as it is as all the rest seems to be working fine even the wind speed. I dont have it mounted very high the ISS and also is near trees so i believe the wind direction never has been completely right.
I will keep an eye on eBay for ISS and then maybe buy one for spares in case any other thing packs up.
Is any ISS ok for my Vantage Vue console? Or needs to be any specific model. Ie the one in Ebay now will be ok for my console?(i noticed it has the Vane missing.. will it be maybe an issue with the vane also hehe..

Thank you

Offline Solskin

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
Bad news eh? Looks like a new ISS or internals then.
Any UK Eu or OV unit will be ok. The USA versions are no good because they work on a different frequency so wouldn’t link up to your console.
If you look for a new ISS, then go for the M versions as they have better components ( no reed switches) and are, apparently, more reliable and accurate.
If you go for the internal kit, don’t leave it too long, they are discontinued and very few retailers have any stock. The company in Holland is the only one I could find selling them.

Couldn’t see the one on eBay now, is it sold?

anything