Author Topic: baffling problem with Taylor barograph  (Read 804 times)

Offline Eric1

baffling problem with Taylor barograph
« on: February 07, 2020, 10:43:33 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:22:27 AM by Eric1 »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
Re: baffling problem with Taylor barograph
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 02:37:52 AM »
I think ...

If you look at the 'axle' of the pen swing mechanism you should see a longish screw with a locknut.

This is your 'range' adjustment. The more it is screwed in will increase the swing of the arm proportionately.

... maybe.
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Eric1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:23:03 AM by Eric1 »

Offline Eric1

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:23:20 AM by Eric1 »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 06:58:13 PM »
That's a slightly different mechanism to the one I saw, but you do correctly identify the linkage where any 'range' adjustment should take place.

In the video the actual interaction of the linkage with the axle is tantalizingly hidden  :-)

If it has some sort of offset arm, then it is the length of that which needs to be altered.
If there is nothing to adjust there, then it may be that mechanism you have is 'fixed' in its range  :sad:

Offline Eric1

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:24:11 AM by Eric1 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »
I think ...

If you look at the 'axle' of the pen swing mechanism you should see a longish screw with a locknut.

This is your 'range' adjustment. The more it is screwed in will increase the swing of the arm proportionately.

... maybe.
Is this something that could be done with accuracy, or wait for another big low pressure system to visit.  That way could take forever.   
The LAST thing you want to do is try to calibrate a barometer in rapidly changing conditions. If you want to do it as accurately as possible, wait for benign conditions (i.e. lack of wind, no pressure gradient) when the pressure is fairly steady and "around" 29.92 inHg.

Offline Eric1

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:24:53 AM by Eric1 »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 12:33:22 AM »
Don't forget, to get your swing right (Literally not go off the scale one way or the other) you need to set your mid-point (29.5 ?)

So patience ...
... wait for a day of stable near-enough pressure and using the 'set pen' screw set the needle accordingly.

When you have a day of stable high or low pressure use the 'range adjust' to get the correct reading, et voila !

Offline Eric1

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:24:38 AM by Eric1 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Eric1,
Why did you erase all your posts?

I remember reading this thread and I found it interesting as I have never used this type of device. It even caused me to do some Internet searching to learn more.

And what of all these forum members that helped you or at least tried. Now their posts and efforts are for not as they won't serve to help anyone else that may run across the same issue or have a similar question.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:32:15 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Eric1

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »
Sorry, I make it a habit to delete threads that don't go anywhere.  I'm still having the same issues with the barograph, but I have come to the conclusion that the single aneroid barographs or even barometers will never have amplitudes matching that of a local, professional weather station.  This has been after extensive testing, repeated adjustments of linkage, adjustable axle screw, and even crude pressure testing. 

So, what I have makes a nice antique and will show rising and falling trends, but will never match the accuracy of the local weather station.  If I find the time, after I have taken readings over a week or so, I may try and make up a new, corrected chart for it, but I really think the single aneroid units aren't suitable for any kind of serious precision.  Maybe they can be compensated for in the digital world, but not in the analog one. 

I'll try not to delete future threads though.         

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
i wanted to reply a week ago but got sidetracked , i restored two similar barographs 20years ago , i used to collect analogue barometers accumulated some 98 only two were barographs they were mostly old ship or circular different types over the years it wasnt about value just for me it was like collecting stamps, wheel trims,number plates etc ..it was a hobby when i lived in the uk. anyway i watch your video thing and one thing that struck me the tension arm was bent in places , i didnt recall any tension arm being bent apart from the tip . also i recall on both of mine the tension arm was firm and small adjustments were nowhere near as erratic as shown in your video with tension arm bouncing up and down.. so i wonder wether that was a retro fit from a previous owner restore attempt. i dont use mine now for observations one is on display as an ornament and the other still packed away due to it has no glass case . as you say they make a nice ornament especially if you clean them up and have no intention of selling as collectors tend to like the original state i.e worn and broken... it was good to read there still floating around i guess at reasonable prices , i paid a measly £10 each in a uk charity shop..brian
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:34:18 PM by weather34 »

anything