Author Topic: Retrieve Weatherlink Password  (Read 5341 times)

Offline nikgelfi

Retrieve Weatherlink Password
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:13:26 AM »
Hi, I am experiencing a weird problem.
I set a password for changing console parameters via weatherlink (i.e. the password you set via the "set password" menu) and now... I forgot it! :)
How can I retrieve it?
I read about a hidden tsp.utl file, but I just can't find it anywhere in the PC (I set the option to show hidden and system files to no avail, of course).
Thanks in advance for your help.
P.s. I am running weatherlink ver 5.9.2.

Offline nikgelfi

Re: Retrieve Weatherlink Password
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
Thanks to the serial communications protocol, I solved the problem: I erased the password writing 0xFFFF in the appropriate address in the EEPROM memory of the data logger.
 \:D/

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
Well that's good then.

Was interested to see what responses there might be to this query and the deduction is nobody knew or they weren't saying. So good to see you have solved your own isue in that way.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »
For future assistance of others with the same problem:  if you send email to Davis support, they will reply with a fully-illustrated discussion of how to do this.  The illustrations show exactly how to step-by-step use Hyperterminal to connect to the console, etc. etc.

Here's a summary (without the illustrations): (quoting)

"Vantage Pro Password
Weather Note

The Weatherlink software for the Vantage Pro, Vantage Pro2 and Envoys allow for a password to be set.  This will limit the availability of some features in the software.  See the console manual for further details.  This password is stored in the console itself so that regardless of where the console moves to it is password protected.

If the password is forgotten there are two ways to resolve the problem.

1.  A file is hidden in the WeatherLink directory called tsp.utl.  Hidden files must be set to visible to see this file.  Use Notepad to open this file.  In it is the "last" password set.  If multiple passwords have been set in multiple consoles this file will only have the last password set.

2.  The other option is to clear the memory locations in the console that contain the password. 

Interesting Note: The two bytes in the console actually only contain the CRC value of the password. 
They cannot be used to determine the password.

......... (details of how to set up hyperterminal)  .....

Type the following commands.
AT <enter> EEWR FFE FF <enter> <enter> EEWR FFF FF <enter>
You should see an OK after the last command

..... exit hyperterminal ...."

Offline nikgelfi

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
For future assistance of others with the same problem:  if you send email to Davis support, they will reply with a fully-illustrated discussion of how to do this.  The illustrations show exactly how to step-by-step use Hyperterminal to connect to the console, etc. etc.

Here's a summary (without the illustrations): (quoting)

"Vantage Pro Password
Weather Note

The Weatherlink software for the Vantage Pro, Vantage Pro2 and Envoys allow for a password to be set.  This will limit the availability of some features in the software.  See the console manual for further details.  This password is stored in the console itself so that regardless of where the console moves to it is password protected.

If the password is forgotten there are two ways to resolve the problem.

1.  A file is hidden in the WeatherLink directory called tsp.utl.  Hidden files must be set to visible to see this file.  Use Notepad to open this file.  In it is the "last" password set.  If multiple passwords have been set in multiple consoles this file will only have the last password set.

2.  The other option is to clear the memory locations in the console that contain the password. 

Interesting Note: The two bytes in the console actually only contain the CRC value of the password. 
They cannot be used to determine the password.

......... (details of how to set up hyperterminal)  .....

Type the following commands.
AT <enter> EEWR FFE FF <enter> <enter> EEWR FFF FF <enter>
You should see an OK after the last command

..... exit hyperterminal ...."

Option 2) is exactly what I did without hearing from Davis.
I sent them an e-mail, and all they told me is to reinstall weatherlink!  :lol:

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:25:39 AM »
 :lol: Reinstalling weatherlink isn't going to change the password status that is set in the console!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:43:50 AM »
...the deduction is nobody knew or they weren't saying.

And the third possibility is that various people know the answer but haven't had the time to answer. This is a standard question with a standard answer, which IIRC had been answered on this forum at least a couple of times in the past (but I know it's not always easy to locate such answers). The underlying problem with this sort of question is that it requires a precise answer, eg exactly which memory addresses to poke. Unless you can quickly dig out the relevant information and provide an accurate answer it's not really worth replying.

But at least there's another new version of this answer now, which should be fresher in peoples' minds for a while.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.