Author Topic: Best temporary way to check signal strength  (Read 873 times)

Offline vsgill

Best temporary way to check signal strength
« on: March 05, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
I am too new to the PWS. What would be the best way to temporarily mount it so I can check the signal strength before I mount it permanently?

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Re: Best temporary way to check signal strength
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 07:45:53 PM »
I used a piece of 2" pvc pipe strapped to a step ladder. But that was because I had them both available.  It was stable enough to stand up and light enough to move around to various locations. 

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
When I first received my station I attached it to a pole and hooked it to the back fence. I left it there for a few days while I worked on setting up the permanent location on top of the garage. The fence location was about 100 feet from the house but the garage is only about 20. The reception worked fine in both locations.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:35:18 AM »
With the Davis signal strength is never a problem. It uses spread spectrum technology and frequency hopping to transmit data over multiple frequencies which improves reliability and range. Unless you live in an underground concrete bunker or want the station a half mile away or on the other side of a hill (Davis makes a range extender) with the Vantage Pro2 signal strength is not a problem. Also if a setup ends up with a console on the edge of reception you can set it to retransmit to the next console.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
Does anyone know if the WeatherLink Live can be a retransmit node to a display console?

ISS --> WLL --> Console?

So as to be able to use the display console where you would otherwise not get a direct ISS signal?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:26:01 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »
The console can receive the same data as the WLL at the same time. There is no limit to the number of consoles or devices that can simultaneously receive from the outside station. I have 3 Pro 2 consoles, 1 Vue console and an Envoy all receiving data from the station. The Envoy has the serial datalogger connected to the weather computer and one Pro 2 console has a WiFi datalogger sending to Weatherlink.com and to VWS software on one computer.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »
I don't know if that was intended as a reply to my question or not. If you were just adding additional context for general information sharing, cool. Otherwise this previous post does not answer my question.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 11:07:00 AM »
Does anyone know if the WeatherLink Live can be a retransmit node to a display console?

I've never seen it mentioned in the WLL documentation so I assume no. It's possible that the wireless chip does have retransmit as an option in the same way that the standard consoles do (but strictly for ISS data only) - guess it depends on exactly which chip is fitted - Wojtek probably knows. But AFAIK the current WLL firmware doesn't support retransmit so that's just a theoretical comment. It could be that that the WLL CPU is fully busy listening for messages from potentially 8 ISS units - I know I would be!
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 08:33:53 PM »
I don't know if that was intended as a reply to my question or not. If you were just adding additional context for general information sharing, cool. Otherwise this previous post does not answer my question.
I apologise. I misunderstood your question. It sounded like you wanted to have the WLL retransmit the data it receives to the console.