Author Topic: Viewing Weather Station Data  (Read 745 times)

Offline Jim_49

Viewing Weather Station Data
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:54:13 PM »
I have decided to purchase a Davis Instruments 6153 Vantage Pro 2 station.  I would like to upload the data to different weather sites.  I would also like to view that data on my PC and my cell phone.  I have read a lot of posts on this site and have concluded that I need one of these to upload data: Weatherlink Live, MeteoBridge PRO, MeteoBridge Nano, MeteoBridge Nano SD, WeatherBridge Nano SD.  I have the following questions -

1.  Where can I purchase any of the MeteoBridge devices?  Their web site only lists Ambient Weather in the USA but they apparently load some of their software for a fee.  Which is OK, I just want to see other options.

2.  Are there any subscription fees associated with the above hardware to access the data?  I had heard at one time that there might be a subscription fee for the Davis Weatherlink Live to get access to the full capability.

3.  Now that I have the data uploaded to the cloud (or where ever it went) how do I view it?  Do I need to purchase some PC/phone app or apps or do these come with the above devices?  Or do the web sites that the data was uploaded to provide these, such as Weather Underground?

I've seen some neat GUI with gauges and plots in color but I have not been able to determine where they came from or if there is any cost associated with them.  I am trying to determine total cost for the system so any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Viewing Weather Station Data
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »
1.  Where can I purchase any of the MeteoBridge devices?

2.  Are there any subscription fees associated with the above hardware to access the data?
I've used MeteoBridge Pro devices for years without any issues. Boris (developer) always keeps them running with the latest hardware via software updates. There aren't any fees beyond the device itself.

At the moment I'm not sure where they're available in the US. Ambient used to sell them as WeatherBridge Pro. However, they've been out of stock for a while.

If you're okay with a used but in good shape unit, I have a MeteoBridge Pro Red (built in Davis receiver) set to go live on eBay tomorrow (2/22) at 5PM pacific. If you're interested in that unit send me a PM before the auction starts.

I've seen some neat GUI with gauges and plots in color but I have not been able to determine where they came from or if there is any cost associated with them.
If you can post a link to the sites you've found that you like then we can probably tell you what software/device/service is generating them.

Offline Jim_49

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »
Thank you for the information.

I don't have any particular displays in mind.  I've just seen different ones posted on this forum while researching hardware.  I need to starting researching software, just don't know where to start.  What I'm trying to avoid is purchasing interface hardware for $300.00 to $500.00 just to find out that what I purchased needs another $50 to $200.00 of software to support it.  I'm a retired hardware engineer so the hardware aspects of this hobby are fairly easy for me to pick up on, software not so much.

As to the Meteobridge Pro, aside from being a standalone unit vs. being hosted in the Vantage Pro 2 console like the Meteobridge Nano-SD, are there any performance differences with regards to data update rates?

I'll send you a PM. 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »
All of the Meteobridge products you've listed are good products, but another potential option is the WiFi Logger - see:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/hardware-data-loggers-software/hardware-software-bundles/wifilogger2/

You should be able to see from the listed features whether or not this does all that you need, but it is potentially a more cost-effective option.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 11:32:51 AM »
Another option is to get the WeatherLink Live device. Then you can test to see which of the follow you like best:

Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, WeeWx
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim_49

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 01:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I have decided to go with the Meteobridge PRO that doubleohwhatever offered.  I had initially been looking at that but moved it down the list because I couldn't find a source in the USA.

As to software, I'll start reviewing the posts in the software forum.  The first things I'll look at are the suggestions galfert mentioned.  My son should be helpful here since he is a software engineer.

Another consideration I am looking at is an alternative to the Vantage Pro2 display, such as an iPad or tablet.  Another possibility is a Raspberry PI with a compatible 7" display.  All comments are welcome.

Again, thanks.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »
If you're just looking for a way to view the data yourself, then you can access graphs via the MeteoBridge Pro interface:

https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/PRO_Graphs
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/PRO_History

You can also generate custom charts via the MeteoBridge Pro:
https://forum.meteohub.de/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=14336