Author Topic: installing 'critical update' for wlip 1.1.5  (Read 883 times)

Offline petec2

• Glynsk, Connemara, Co.Galway, Ireland
installing 'critical update' for wlip 1.1.5
« on: January 27, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »
Hi All...,
I am using a weather Envoy to pass information via a wlip cataloguer to the web via a router. the data logger is connected to the router by ethernet cable and the data is uploaded to web via web download (using DID and password) within weather link -where i can read it using a virtual windows machine on a macbook air. been working brilliantly for 5 years. now i cannot use the wlip 1.1.5 updater because the program 'cannot find the device'. i have tried everything including tcd/ip and etc but no dice
anyone had similar problem?
even connecting direct to logger using ethernet didn't find the logger...
thanks for any advice
pete

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: installing 'critical update' for wlip 1.1.5
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »
Have you tried everything here:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/updating-weatherlinkip-firmware

Especially the added suggestions in 'Recovering from failed firmware updates'?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline petec2

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »
many thanks. i'll work through this. i may need to put envoy in setup mode... i tried all sorts -it may be i need to 'borrow a pc'
pete

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 02:01:11 AM »
Ok then what do you mean "may have to borrow a pc"? How are you trying to update the WLIP?

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 03:48:56 AM »
Same issue here. But using Weatherlink (on PC or virtual machine) you can find out the IP from the logger. Put that on the Updater and press the start button, it works.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:53:41 AM »
Same issue here. But using Weatherlink (on PC or virtual machine) you can find out the IP from the logger. Put that on the Updater and press the start button, it works.

It's certainly one of the solutions that may work and very much on the list of things worth trying, but you may still be unlucky.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:36:55 AM »
i'll work through this. i may need to put envoy in setup mode...

Unfortunately there isn't any equivalent of setup mode on an Envoy, all you can do is to reboot the unit and ensure that you hear the correct number of beeps before trying the update.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline petec2

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 05:39:57 AM »
thanks johnd. i did try all sorts. the weatherlink program is within an emulator and connects by 'web download' in the 'communications port' dialogue box
i used the correct (fixed) ip address in wlip 1.1.5 (in fact i can ping the router and log in remotely through the web to it) but the wlip 1.1.5 cannot find the logger
i appreciate all your time and responses and thanks. i now have a load of other things to try -why this has to be so tricky is beyond me - it must be old tech
when i'm next at the envoy i may connect my computer to the router and switch weatherlink to logger via a different route (ie direct or ip address rather than 'web download' and see what transpires.
again thanks
pete
ps 'borrow a pc' is because i use parallels on a mac -i'm never sure if this will always work -though weatherlink always has. i have no other use for a pc. 

Offline petec2

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
running Weatherlink 6.0.4 on Windows 7 using Parallels Desktop on a MacBook air. data uploading to web from envoy
solution: the ip address for the router (remote) was the "IP Pool Address" from amongst a pile of addresses
Found by logging into the router remotely> Network Settings> Home Network>IP Addressing Values>IP Pool Starting Address xxx.xxx.x.1
used that address on the wlip updater and it worked perfectly
thanks for the tips esp. johnd and the 'manuals'