Author Topic: Blitzortung Documentation & Build Instructions -REVISED Oct 13, 2014 5:04 pm PT  (Read 79300 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED June 16, 2014 11:11 am PDT
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »
Made changes to the E-Field Step-by-Step document and the Pre-Amp PCB 14 component listing.

The Step-by-Step now has a testing section at the end. Next, will be some additional references to initial set-up procedures that are scattered around the WXFORUM.

As always, please let me know if you find any errors or things needing to added or corrected.

For those just joining the group, you will find all of the documentation links located in the first post of this thread.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:22:23 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »
Thanks Don.

As I've said before, the time you put into this document is a challenge, and the quality is great.  I needed a bit of hand holding to get off dead center and your efforts made a huge difference in getting going.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »
Thanks Dale! Just trying to make it easier for everyone (including myself)  :grin:

And now, since I have been unable to print-out the E-Field & H-Field post build setup instructions to read off-line, I have captured the first post in that thread and made a PDF with the images resized so they fit on a sheet of paper. A new document has been uploaded to my website. Here are the particulars as they appear on the main RED system thread on the forum:

* E-Field & H-Field Kit Post-Build Set-up Documentation - NEW: 06/16/2014 @4:446m PDT
NOTE: The above document is a copy of the first posting in the "Adding E Field Probe - Startup and Operation - not for construction" thread. It has been duplicated here due to the inability to print its contents out without some of the images being cut-off during the printing process. I have rescaled the images so they fit on the pages. I'll try to keep it up-to-date as changes are made to it.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED June 16, 2014 5:46 pm PDT
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2014, 08:31:14 PM »
Well Done Don!...
I told Don F a bit earlier I needed to do something with that posting, and you've saved me some trouble!  Even got the vid links to work, except for the last one. Good Job...

BTW, Don F and I've been discussing that 'threshold' setting thing, and are working on a simpler explanation, that he's about got down pat... so that part of the document is certainly scheduled for a modification of some type... and a couple of other things...

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
Well Done Don!...
I told Don F a bit earlier I needed to do something with that posting, and you've saved me some trouble!  Even got the vid links to work, except for the last one. Good Job...

BTW, Don F and I've been discussing that 'threshold' setting thing, and are working on a simpler explanation, that he's about got down pat... so that part of the document is certainly scheduled for a modification of some type... and a couple of other things...

Thanks Mike! I've saved the post in both html and .docx formats so it shouldn't be too difficult to make changes. I didn't know the exact colors you used in your post so I guessed at them. I've attached the files I created. The html is essentially a copy of what you have posted but with some enhancements of the text and coloring. I imported that into MS Word and then resized the images so they would fit on the pages.

I'll take a look to see which video didn't work. I thought they were all linked correctly but obviously not. Won't be able to do any more on this, or anything else until Wednesday. We have a out-of=town funeral to attend for a very good friend who died of prostate cancer on Saturday.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2014, 06:39:12 AM »
Don thanks for putting these documents together, they really made a difference in getting my system built! 

I did note one item in the latest RED build document (Amp 12v3c Controller 10v4).  In the section on installing the GPS unit there is a sentence that reads as follows:
"Next we will place the4 GPS surface mount device..."

Not sure how the 4 got in there but I guess numbers go where they want to go.  Also on the installation of the electrolytic capacitors, if you could possibly make the note about them needing to be laid down a little more prominent it would be nice.  Maybe make the note all bold so that it stands out.  I was going to suggest a different color for it but if someone else does like me and prints the pages out in black and white then the color difference won't be seen.

No rush on any of this, I know you have other stuff taking precedence. 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
Don thanks for putting these documents together, they really made a difference in getting my system built! 

I did note one item in the latest RED build document (Amp 12v3c Controller 10v4).  In the section on installing the GPS unit there is a sentence that reads as follows:
"Next we will place the4 GPS surface mount device..."

Not sure how the 4 got in there but I guess numbers go where they want to go.  Also on the installation of the electrolytic capacitors, if you could possibly make the note about them needing to be laid down a little more prominent it would be nice.  Maybe make the note all bold so that it stands out.  I was going to suggest a different color for it but if someone else does like me and prints the pages out in black and white then the color difference won't be seen.

No rush on any of this, I know you have other stuff taking precedence.

Good morning Kevin,

Thanks for the input. I'll make the changes on Wednesday after I get back home. Good suggestion on the caps. When I made my RED, I forgot to lay down the first one and had to get a new one since the leads had been cut too short to use over again.

As for the "4" in the text, just a fat-finger moment, I guess. No matter how many times I read these docs over and check them for typos, I seem to miss some of the most obvious items...  ](*,)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED June 18, 2014 4:59 pm PDT
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
Don,

You might consider adding to the "E-Field & H-Field Kit Post-Build Set-up Documentation" the jpegs I posted showing a summary of the threshold operation after the recommended settings are applied. They are referenced, but not included, in your stand-alone document.

They may be found in this posting: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22710.msg220855#msg220855

Thanks!

Don
WD9DMP

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »
Don,

You might consider adding to the "E-Field & H-Field Kit Post-Build Set-up Documentation" the jpegs I posted showing a summary of the threshold operation after the recommended settings are applied. They are referenced, but not included, in your stand-alone document.

They may be found in this posting: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22710.msg220855#msg220855

Thanks!

Don
WD9DMP

Now, this is scary - is it ESP or just a coincidence?... I was just getting things together for modifying the main RED System assembly document and was thinking about adding your jpegs to the E-field document too. I'm also going to add an E-field reference link to the RED assembly doc. That will help tie everything together but still keep separate documents for the RED system assembly and E-field kits. Doing that will hopefully make it easier to keep both docs updated.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED June 19, 2014 10:06 am PDT
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
The RED system build document has been updated to correct some typos and additional text to clarify and emphasize the need to lie some of the components down so they don't interfere with the boards to be placed above them.
Now, on to making a few suggested changes to the E-Field assembly document...

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2014, 02:17:06 PM »
Don,

Thanks!

Don
WD9DMP

DonF,

The new jpegs have been added to the setup document PDF.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Documentation - REVISED July 2, 2014 4:05 pm PDT
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
I found an error in the latest RED Step-by-Step document on page 28.

I show a step to "Connect the 5V USB Power Supply cable to the Discovery board. It is NOT necessary to remove the Discovery board from the controller board for this procedure.". This step is not only incorrect, it is unnecessary. The 5 volt power supply has already been connected to the controller board (not the Discovery board) in an earlier step.

A new version of the Step-by-Step doc has been uploaded.

Offline roguk

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
I've just used these documents to help build my system and they certainly made the job easier and saved a lot of time.

Thanks for putting them together!

Offline emulsifide

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
Just a quick head's up. For the moment, Egon shipped the latest controller and amplifier kits without 47 ohm resistors because he ran out of them. Instead, there's enough 49.9 ohm resistors included to use in place of them.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
Holy temporal anomalies Batman!  I was just reading thru the E-field assembly document and when I got to the end I noticed the following:

Revision History:
o June 13, 2014
 Updated cover page Blitzortung image to current people version.
o June 16, 2013
 Miscellaneous document corrections
 Initial writing of the testing portion of the document.
Had to double-check the calendar to make sure I didn't get bumped into an alternate timeline (and no I did not see Eddie or his sofa while I was running thru the space-time continuum  ;) ).
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
Magnifying lamp retrofit
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »
So, a month or so ago, the light in my swingarm magnifying lamp went out.  After some troubleshooting, it became fairly clear that the electronic ballast had gone out, I decided to change the lamp type to LED.

I decided to use a string LED lamp assembly from All Electronics:
SUPER-BRIGHT 12V 3-LED MODULE, COOL-WHITE

For the power supply (replacing the electronic ballast), I decided to crack open a computer power supply:
12VDC 2.9A POWER SUPPLY, USED

I did have to replace one filter capacitor, due to damage during opening, but it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, the results were very solid; the lamp is actually brighter than it was with a 22W circular fluorescent bulb:

Not exactly a Blitzortung build post, but at least my bench is once again good to go for SMD components :)

Offline Einar

Re: Magnifying lamp retrofit
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
Not exactly a Blitzortung build post, but at least my bench is once again good to go for SMD components :)
I wish I had a lamp like that.
It would be great help when hands shaking, eyes as old as myself, and discovered I got MSOP MCP6S91 instead of SOIC.  ](*,)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:30:43 PM by Einar »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Not to be overly critical but, not only do you have solder bridges, you have W A Y too much solder on those pins... I would suggest using liquid solder flux to eliminate that problem in the future.

Offline Einar

Click the picture and it will open in full resolution.
The "whiskers" on the outer pins are not all solder, but wrapping wire connecting the bent up pins.

And yes, I use liquid flux, lots of it. Without it, there would just be one big blob on each side of the chip!
That is a small chip, and soldered like that a passing gnat would try to mate with it!
It's a pain to solder, but what do you do when Mouser, Farnell, ...<long list> have the proper one on backorder?
I'll replace them as soon as the proper ones are available.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:37:50 PM by Einar »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Ah, got it. I didn't see the wires until after you mentioned it. Clever temporary fix. And yes, it's always tough when you need a component but no one has it in stock. Just like many who are waiting for the RED kits to be available again...  :???:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
At last, I have updated the RED Kit Build documentation for the H-Field Amp & Controller boards. Briefly, the updates were as follows:
  • Added a Table of Contents to the RED Build document and changed some page formatting.
  • Added comments regarding the potential for the 47-ohm resistors to be 49.9-ohm instead. This was added to both the build doc and the Parts Inventory Sheets.
  • Added the Photo Renditions of the PCB's done by Kevin (corwyyn).
Please let me know if you find any other issues that I may have forgotten about or missed.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
One tidbit of information that seems elusive, yet important to the station builder is the dimensions of the boards. Once the boards are stuffed and tested, the next step is to package it into some kind of enclosure. Although packaging per se probably isn't appropriate for this document, the dimensions of the board would help someone planning the "next step" after the assembly of the boards.

I know that I wanted to know this when I was waiting for the kit and that I have seen this question pop up on the BO forum from time to time.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
One tidbit of information that seems elusive, yet important to the station builder is the dimensions of the boards. Once the boards are stuffed and tested, the next step is to package it into some kind of enclosure. Although packaging per se probably isn't appropriate for this document, the dimensions of the board would help someone planning the "next step" after the assembly of the boards.

I know that I wanted to know this when I was waiting for the kit and that I have seen this question pop up on the BO forum from time to time.

Greg H.

Good idea Greg. I should probably also add some information on the BUD boxes that have been used to mount the PCBs. Will work on that and incorporate it in the documentation.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
Don let me know if you want me to add the dimensions to my images.  I know the latest BO documentation has the dimensions for the amp 13 and preamp 14 boards, the controller and amp 12 diagrams don't include them but a decent set of calipers will yield those in short order (and I have a set with digital readout).

Also let me know if you would like a set of bare-board renders, I'd have to add some of the pads that I didn't bother with since the components hid them but it wouldn't take too long to add them in.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Don let me know if you want me to add the dimensions to my images.  I know the latest BO documentation has the dimensions for the amp 13 and preamp 14 boards, the controller and amp 12 diagrams don't include them but a decent set of calipers will yield those in short order (and I have a set with digital readout).

Also let me know if you would like a set of bare-board renders, I'd have to add some of the pads that I didn't bother with since the components hid them but it wouldn't take too long to add them in.

This is scary - last night while I was finalizing my documents with your new photo renditions, I was thinking it would be nice to have shots of the bare boards too. So, YES, if you can do that, I will gladly add them to my documents.

Board dimensions would also be a "nice-to-have" piece of information added to the images. Perhaps only show them on the bare boards so we don't add unnecessary clutter to the populated boards. An estimate of populated board height would also be good to have.