Author Topic: Problems Getting Computers to Connect to Vantage Vue w/USB Logger  (Read 23945 times)

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
I noticed there's a thread similar to this currently active in the forum, though my issue appears to be for totally different reasons than the other person's Vue/USB logger communications problem - so I'm starting this thread instead.

I have a Vantage Vue installed at a remote location (see this thread for details: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13240.0) that I'll only be accessing about once per month from November through March, and more frequently from April through October. I set up a laptop at the site in order to run VirtualVP, Cumulus, and WxSolution 24/7 in real time. I also use WeatherLink with a 30-minute archive interval to access up to 53 days of backup data in the logger in case anything goes wrong with the laptop.

I installed the Vue on 9/16 and the on-site laptop with all of the software on 9/30. When I first set up the software, I had trouble getting it (WeatherLink first, then VirtualVP) to recognize the station (plugged in via the USB logger) - both programs couldn't even find the station at first. Eventually, despite the fact that I changed nothing, both pieces of software did find the station, and were able to connect to it. I set it up with VirtualVP and kept Cumulus, WxSolution, and WeatherLink running with it. All ran perfectly, 24/7 every day, right through the last time I visited the site in October (10/30) - but once I got back on-site for the first time again today, I noticed that the laptop was off; I turned it back on to find that records cut off on 10/30.

I found out today that the power was shut off in the house later in the day on 10/30 (after I left) by the plumber, who blows out the pipes each year when the house is closed for the winter and is usually supposed to turn the power to the house off as well. This year, we left a note on the circuit board specifically telling the plumber to keep the power on (for the 24/7 dedicated laptop), but it seems that he ignored the note. So when I got back on-site today, I noticed the power was off and the laptop battery, of course, had long since died - this all happened on 10/30, coinciding with my records cutting off that day.

So today, back on-site, I put the house power back on, turned on the laptop, and opened VirtualVP. The USB logger was still plugged into the same port it always had been, and I had changed absolutely nothing since I was last at the house on 10/30 (when everything was working fine, and had been for an entire month). Yet when I hit "connect," VirtualVP could not find the station on the specified virtual COM port. I decided to open WeatherLink and used its AutoDetect feature to find the virtual COM port in case the computer had changed it for some reason, but WeatherLink also could not find it. I tried both of the other two USB ports on the laptop, and, again - neither VirtualVP nor WeatherLink could find the station, despite the fact that the USB logger was securely plugged in on both ends, and despite the fact that the exact setup I was using had worked flawlessly for an entire month!

I tried restarting the computer a couple times and did the above process again - no dice.

Luckily, I had my main laptop with me today (which I also installed WeatherLink on back in September, just in case the laptop at the remote site were to crap out), which has two USB ports. I tried plugging the USB logger into the first port - and WeatherLink could NOT find the station! I then tried the second port, and WeatherLink finally found the station. Two laptops, five USB ports, and only one was able to connect to my station! ALL of the USB ports on both laptops work perfectly; I tested the two USB flash drives I had with me on all of the ports, and both drives worked on all of the ports. If it wasn't for that one port allowing me to connect to the station, I wouldn't have even been able to retrieve the past several weeks' worth of data from the datalogger.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted - I can think of no reason why the exact same setup would just not work. I never even had a USB dropout when I had the logger connected to the laptop 24/7 in October.

So, these are my questions:

-When I first set up the laptop at the remote site and connected it to the station on 9/30, why did VirtualVP and WeatherLink have trouble finding the station - despite the fact that the virtual COM port was right and the logger was securely plugged in (I know I had the settings right, since eventually it worked)? In retrospect, I wonder if this should have been a warning sign for the possibility that the logger/laptop combo had problems.

-Why can't VirtualVP or WeatherLink find the station now, using the exact same settings that allowed them to connect to the station from 9/30-10/30?

-The dedicated on-site laptop is 5-6 years old. My main laptop (which I was able to use to get the data off the datalogger today when the older laptop refused to connect) is 2.5 years old. Could the older laptop's age, for some reason, make it harder for it to connect to the datalogger? What about my main laptop - why was WeatherLink unable to find the station when it was plugged into the first USB port, while it did find the station when it was plugged into the second? Why would it find the station on one port and not the other? Shouldn't it just find it regardless?

-Has anyone had this problem, and/or does anyone recommend any specific fixes? I did not have much time on-site today and am back home now, but I will be able to try any suggestions when I return to the site in December.

Additional info that may be of help, though probably not:

-I originally/accidentally selected the "USB" option instead of "Serial" when I set up the logger on WeatherLink in September, though I used the program Davis includes to change this to "Serial" so that I could use third-party software. This seemed to go perfectly smoothly, and I never had a problem related to this.

-There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Vue console - it works perfectly.

-The house is not heated, since it's a summer vacation house. As such, it gets cold inside - but the coldest it has gotten in the house since the station has been there is 43 degrees, in early- or mid-November. Could that temperature have somehow impacted the laptop's USB ports or the logger's USB cable? It certainly does not seem to be the case, since the USB ports still worked perfectly when I attached the flash drives to them and the logger's USB cable did work when i plugged it into the second USB port on my main laptop.

I realized that's a ton of text and that I'm coming across as pretty frustrated! I am, though I'm thankful that I can at least continue to download the data from the datalogger onto my main laptop (via that one USB port that recognizes my station) - so even if this problem doesn't get resolved, I will be able to continue to have continuous data in WeatherLink. Cumulus and WxSolution are nice to have as well, though the WeatherLink archive is my first priority and I'm very glad that I can continue to retrieve that data.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:21:58 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Problems Getting Computers to Connect to Vantage Vue w/USB Logger
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
I have no idea what the problem is with your setup. However, symptoms like that are what I had and I suspect others on the forum have experienced when using the USB data logger. The failures are unexplainable. My only suggestion, if you can't get it working, is to call Davis Support and explain your situation. They may be able to find something that isn't right. If not, they "might" offer to exchange the USB logger with a SERIAL model, especially if you let them know you are aware of others having problems with their USB loggers. Just be polite with them...

Some here have had no problems with their USB data loggers. I'm one of those "others" who had constant intermittent problems and kept calling Davis support. They eventually offered to exchange for a SERIAL unit. I've had ZERO comm problems since then. Thus, my reason for being so vocal about buying only the SERIAL version. It is solid as a rock. Mine has run almost six years now without a single hiccup. I also use Virtual VP, StartWatch and VPLive and they run just fine.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
I have no idea what the problem is with your setup. However, symptoms like that are what I had and I suspect others on the forum have experienced when using the USB data logger. The failures are unexplainable. My only suggestion, if you can't get it working, is to call Davis Support and explain your situation. They may be able to find something that isn't right. If not, they "might" offer to exchange the USB logger with a SERIAL model, especially if you let them know you are aware of others having problems with their USB loggers. Just be polite with them...

Some here have had no problems with their USB data loggers. I'm one of those "others" who had constant intermittent problems and kept calling Davis support. They eventually offered to exchange for a SERIAL unit. I've had ZERO comm problems since then. Thus, my reason for being so vocal about buying only the SERIAL version. It is solid as a rock. Mine has run almost six years now without a single hiccup. I also use Virtual VP, StartWatch and VPLive and they run just fine.

Thanks, and I do think this might be my course of action. I've actually done this before, on my home station. I got the USB logger in February of 2006, and, after several months of dropouts, contacted Davis and exchanged it for a serial version. I've had no problems in the 5.5 years since then.

I'm just not sure if that laptop even has a serial port - I'll have to check. If not, I'd consider getting a Serial to USB adapter. I got a USB logger for the remote station because it originally was not going to be connected 24/7. I thought I'd just be going to the site to download it at least once every 53 days, and I figured that the USB logger would be fine as long as it wasn't running 24/7 (since that's when the dropout problem occurs, of course).

I think that, due to the fact that I had USB dropouts with my old logger back in '06 (and since that seems to be the main problem with the USB logger, the dropouts specifically), I thought this was something different. Wouldn't surprise me if it's just another faulty USB logger, though. I know Davis does a good job with service and swapping loggers, so I'll certainly be polite with them if I do end up contacting them! That's not a problem.

I'll admit I am hoping it's something else - to avoid having to potentially swap out the logger - though unless there's something obviously wrong with my setup that someone else picks up on, it's probably the logger.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:21:21 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
Recommendations? Specific fixes? Ok

Dump the USB loger and replace with serial, yes USB/serial adapter requried for non serial port machines but much more stable than straight USB loggers.

Running quite a mixture of software and for a remote site that can be a drawback especially if one package stuffs all the rest and you are unable to access the station

A laptop will also be a weak link on a remote site

Question? Do you have a phone landline or mobile coverage or internet service (cabled or wireless) to this site?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »
I'm feeling for you. I know how frustrating it can be when things don't seem to be responding to normal actions.  It's like beating your head against a wall ](*,)

I don't know anything about a Vue but I do know that when everything gets shut down or you disconnect the solar panel and battery in the VP2 ISS you have to reconnect things is a very specific sequence or you will have problems with comms between the ISS and the Console/logger. Don't know if that applies to your situation or not but since you were without power for an extended period of time the symptoms could be similar. Somewhere in this forum there is a post about having to do things in a very specific order. You may want to search around to find it, assuming it applies to a Vue also.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »

Dump the USB loger and replace with serial, yes USB/serial adapter requried for non serial port machines but much more stable than straight USB loggers.

Running quite a mixture of software and for a remote site that can be a drawback especially if one package stuffs all the rest and you are unable to access the station

Question? Do you have a phone landline or mobile coverage or internet service (cabled or wireless) to this site?

I've found if you take the cable and loop it around a few times and make a pretzel knot around the loops the problems go away. I did that and I havn't had a problem since. We're talking a few months ago I did this.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »

I've found if you take the cable and loop it around a few times and make a pretzel knot around the loops the problems go away. I did that and I havn't had a problem since. We're talking a few months ago I did this.

Yikes - could it be that simple - really? If so, that may indicate some kind of RF (radio frequency) interference getting into the logger itself. The looping of the cable would act as a RF choke thus eliminating the interfering signals. What cable are you referring to?

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
Thanks to all for the quick replies - amazing I have this much feedback already; I only noticed the problem itself about 8 hours ago!

I don't, unfortunately. I might eventually set up wireless internet access there (though it isn't my house, so I may not be able to). I'd like to be able to access it remotely, but that's not in the nature of the setup for now.

this is timely

I'm certainly considering that, thanks for posting it! I have to decide if I'm going to try any more potential fixes or just turn over the setup (and whether or not I'll see if Davis is willing to send a replacement if I do decide to change things up).

I don't know anything about a Vue but I do know that when everything gets shut down or you disconnect the solar panel and battery in the VP2 ISS you have to reconnect things is a very specific sequence or you will have problems with comms between the ISS and the Console/logger.

Good point; I've learned this the hard way with my VP2 here at home at least once in the past. The Vue console battery was fine (supposedly they last up to 9 months), so thankfully that wasn't an issue. I know problems occur when the datalogger isn't taken out/put back in correctly, though I didn't mess with the logger itself - just the USB cord attached to it. When the USB logger was working better in Sept/Oct, I was able to plug it in/take it out repeatedly without a problem, so that end of it is probably okay.

Interesting - makes me wish I had the station in front of my here to try this! If I don't end up just getting a serial logger and serial/usb adapter, I will be sure to try this.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »
You tried lots of things, and it's not clear exactly what the sequence was.  To make sure you've done due diligence, I suggest the following:

First, make sure that all firmware and software updates have been done on the old on-site laptop. (That's gonna be tough, perhaps).
Disconnect all USB devices from that laptop.
Turn the laptop off and then on (power-cycle reboot).
Stop all Weather software, including VirtualVP (I'm assuming the software is set to automatically start).
Plug in the USB cable from the logger.
Start VirtualVP, and then the rest of the weather software.

Yeah, I know we'll have to wait until December to hear whether that resolved the problem.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »

Yikes - could it be that simple - really? If so, that may indicate some kind of RF (radio frequency) interference getting into the logger itself. The looping of the cable would act as a RF choke thus eliminating the interfering signals. What cable are you referring to?

The one that was included duh. Your response is a little confusing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:12:07 PM by mckTXaws »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
You tried lots of things, and it's not clear exactly what the sequence was.  To make sure you've done due diligence, I suggest the following:

First, make sure that all firmware and software updates have been done on the old on-site laptop. (That's gonna be tough, perhaps).
Disconnect all USB devices from that laptop.
Turn the laptop off and then on (power-cycle reboot).
Stop all Weather software, including VirtualVP (I'm assuming the software is set to automatically start).
Plug in the USB cable from the logger.
Start VirtualVP, and then the rest of the weather software.

Yeah, I know we'll have to wait until December to hear whether that resolved the problem.

No, I wasn't clear on the sequence. I'll explain it here:

After I realized there was a problem (no connection the first time I turned the laptop on and *manually* started VirtualVP, as per my settings), I did go through those exact steps in that exact order, and figured readers of the thread would assume as much. In fact, not only did I restart the laptop manually , but I also restarted the laptop through the start menu on a separate attempt. Believe me, I covered every possible permutation of orders on the older laptop. Unfortunately, none of them worked. Thankfully, nothing is any more screwed up than it was before I went there today; I got my data from the logger, just on my other laptop.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:42:45 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »

The initial sentence in my reply was really rhetorical - I was simply speaking out loud and wondering if everyone had overlooked the obvious potential of signals interfering with themselves thus, the real cause of the USB problems. And, as a ham yourself I would hope that you would know that by creating a wire loop, as you apparently did, that would act somewhat as an inductance and thus could potentially reduce any RF (or internal voltages generated on the data lines or shields) that was present within or on the cable itself. It is possible that the USB problems everyone is having with the Davis USB data logger is nothing more than simple RF crosstalk of the signals themselves.

I should have asked if the cable you were referring to was the actual cable running between the PC and the data logger. Sorry if I confused you.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 10:57:15 PM »
The Vue console battery was fine (supposedly they last up to 9 months), so thankfully that wasn't an issue.

I think you can expect about 2 years. I added a Vue console just after they became available, and it was almost 2 years before the batteries had to be replaced (and that's with also listening to an anny TX).

As for your issue, I'd be wondering if the laptop having it's battery die might have resulted in garbage being sent to the console, causing an issue. I'm not certain, but entering setup might clear up any such. Worse case, try removing the console batteries, and then reconnect everything.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:53 PM »
So just to confirm this laptop is running all these different weather software packages at a remote site with the laptop the end of the line as far as the data is concerned? No outside accees and you only visit once a month?

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »
The Vue console battery was fine (supposedly they last up to 9 months), so thankfully that wasn't an issue.

I think you can expect about 2 years. I added a Vue console just after they became available, and it was almost 2 years before the batteries had to be replaced (and that's with also listening to an anny TX).

As for your issue, I'd be wondering if the laptop having it's battery die might have resulted in garbage being sent to the console, causing an issue. I'm not certain, but entering setup might clear up any such. Worse case, try removing the console batteries, and then reconnect everything.

That's great to hear about the console battery life! It's possible, then, that if I end up not bringing the 24/7 laptop back to the house, I'll turn the power off at the house and let the Vue console run on battery from Nov-Mar. The one thing I'd be worried about, though, is the cold - while the house is on a barrier island in coastal South Jersey, in a place well-moderated by the ocean, it can still get pretty darn cold there. I'd imagine the inside of the unheated house goes below freezing a couple times per winter, though I'll find out soon enough. I'd be worried (though definitely correct me if I'm wrong) about the cold impacting the console battery life.

I wondered about that - the idea that the laptop battery dying might have messed something up. I'm wondering why I didn't enter setup mode regardless, though I didn't have a ton of time today. Certainly a good idea, though.

So just to confirm this laptop is running all these different weather software packages at a remote site with the laptop the end of the line as far as the data is concerned? No outside accees and you only visit once a month?

Yes to all of the above (except for the idea of the laptop being 'the end of the line,' since I transfer the data to my other laptop/back it up on flash drives/etc.). While you/many others probably don't my setup as being ideal, it is for me - for many reasons:

-I have my VP2 here at home, which has been online (reporting to my own site, WU, CWOP, & PWS) since early 2006.
-The remote beach station is essentially there for wind speed & direction data; it's not properly cited for temp, rain, etc., so even if I could put the data online, I'd have to do it with a disclaimer.
-I don't care about not having instant access to the data; I enjoy going down there and getting the archived data, then reviewing it carefully/making graphs & reports/etc.
-I can go on-site during significant weather events if I want to see the data in real time (already have, twice).
-The programs I was using in addition to WeatherLink are inexpensive, and, in addition to the WeatherLink wind data, gave me two additional sources of data, presented in different formats (as any weather hobbyist should know - each software package handles data differently). That's why I plan on getting Cumulus/WxSolution data back in addition to the solid WeatherLink data.
-As an FYI: the setup worked perfectly for a month on its own. It would have continued to do so had the power not been turned off. My home station, using the same exact software configuration, has essentially never had a disruption since I changed to a serial logger in '06. Yes, these systems can just keep going.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
I would think the idea of the laptop battery going dead causing problems would be more along the line of it caused a problem with the USB connection /driver on the PC...and not the console...since the console did connect and work OK (ie the missed data was able to be downloaded) on another PC
just my 2 cents
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 11:59:03 PM »
I would think the idea of the laptop battery going dead causing problems would be more along the line of it caused a problem with the USB connection /driver on the PC...and not the console...since the console did connect and work OK (ie the missed data was able to be downloaded) on another PC
just my 2 cents

Definitely a possibility as well, for the reason you stated. In that case, I wonder if I should try uninstalling and reinstalling the relevant drivers/programs on the older laptop? I brought it home with me since it was of no use at the remote site, and since I wouldn't have been able to access the internet to download updates from there anyway. Here, I can make any potentially helpful changes to that laptop before attempting to connecting it to the station the next time I'm down there.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »
Some how I doubt if a Vue console will run 2 years on the 3*C cells? The Vue ISS will typically run well over 12 months without a battery replacement.

Yes to all of the above (except for the idea of the laptop being 'the end of the line,' since I transfer the data to my other laptop/back it up on flash drives/etc.). While you/many others probably don't my setup as being ideal, it is for me - for many reasons:

-I have my VP2 here at home, which has been online (reporting to my own site, WU, CWOP, & PWS) since early 2006.
-The remote beach station is essentially there for wind speed & direction data; it's not properly cited for temp, rain, etc., so even if I could put the data online, I'd have to do it with a disclaimer.
-I don't care about not having instant access to the data; I enjoy going down there and getting the archived data, then reviewing it carefully/making graphs & reports/etc.
-I can go on-site during significant weather events if I want to see the data in real time (already have, twice).
-The programs I was using in addition to WeatherLink are inexpensive, and, in addition to the WeatherLink wind data, gave me two additional sources of data, presented in different formats (as any weather hobbyist should know - each software package handles data differently). That's why I plan on getting Cumulus/WxSolution data back in addition to the solid WeatherLink data.
-As an FYI: the setup worked perfectly for a month on its own. It would have continued to do so had the power not been turned off. My home station, using the same exact software configuration, has essentially never had a disruption since I changed to a serial logger in '06. Yes, these systems can just keep going.

All that might be fine but obviously at the end of the day the critical element is the data and nothing else really matters and anything that prevents archiving data is a liability regardless.

Ok in this case I see the laptop, the USB logger and "extra" software as the liabilities.

If you are serious about the data then a serial logger and dial up modem solves a lot of the data issues and gives you much more flexibility especially if you still want to run the existing hardware as a secondary system.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:24:59 AM by Flag »

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »

The initial sentence in my reply was really rhetorical - I was simply speaking out loud and wondering if everyone had overlooked the obvious potential of signals interfering with themselves thus, the real cause of the USB problems. And, as a ham yourself I would hope that you would know that by creating a wire loop, as you apparently did, that would act somewhat as an inductance and thus could potentially reduce any RF (or internal voltages generated on the data lines or shields) that was present within or on the cable itself. It is possible that the USB problems everyone is having with the Davis USB data logger is nothing more than simple RF crosstalk of the signals themselves.

I should have asked if the cable you were referring to was the actual cable running between the PC and the data logger. Sorry if I confused you.

It's alright. I suspect the problem with USB is static. 4 conductors pressed against the recieving 4 in a situation that provides no insulation from static where the connection is met. Serials use pin and socket which seemed to provide a much more secure connection. USB connectors are somewhat lose and the gaps between connectors would provide the perfect environment for static. I maybe wrong but this seems to be the most logical scenerio. I do recall going over this phenomonon in the amateur radio class I took.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 12:36:31 AM »
Yes, could be static.

I see WeatherDisplay just said in another post that Silicon Labs has a new USB driver that fixes the problems with the VP. If that is true that is great news for everyone - especially, Davis. I did some Googling but so far, haven't been able to find anything on the new release as yet. The Davis site still shows the latest USB driver to be in 2008. May be a while before they publish it on their website.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:38:06 AM by W3DRM »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 02:39:34 AM »
there are lots of threads on the WD forum about the needed upgrade to the silicon labs USB driver, and where to download it
"every person " who has upgraded to the latest version has had the problems resolved...
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
I think the idea of a dial-up modem is interesting, though the house doesn't have a land line phone.

Anyway, as far as the Silicon Labs driver is concerned, I honestly can't remember for sure if I downloaded/installed the most recent version or not. I may have downloaded the exe, but didn't install it because everything worked fine at first with whatever driver Davis provides. Either way, I'm guessing I should download the latest one regardless, following the link "VCP Driver Kit" on this page:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

I'm basically the opposite of a tech junkie (I know a good deal about weather, but not about how the software/hardware works), so I only somewhat understand what a driver is and how it works. Thus, I need to know: when I install that latest driver, should I save it into the WeatherLink directory, or somewhere else specifically? Also, do I have to do something to the Davis-included driver (uninstall it?) in order to get the new driver to work?

In looking on the Weather Display forum, I also ran across this thread, started in 2008, with a lot of information. According to Brian's post, Davis was refusing to swap serial loggers for peoples' faulty USB loggers as far back as 2008. Does that mean they'll deny me if I try? Seems possible.

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,33328.0.html

So here are my conclusions so far:

-The problem is most likely the USB logger/the way the laptop communicates with it, and it may have arisen when the laptop's battery died on 10/30
-The serial logger would probably fix things (as it did on my home station back in 2006)
-Davis may very well not swap my logger for a serial version, though I'll have to find out

And here are the potential fixes, to avoid having to replace the logger:

-Loop the USB cord around a couple of times and tie it like a pretzel, potentially reducing RF interference/allowing it to work
-Download/install the latest Silicon Labs driver to the correct location, if it turns out I didn't do that in September
-Unplug the AC adapter from the Vue console, as Davis suggests in the Weather-Display thread
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:33:13 AM by NorthNJwx »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
Since you brought it home with you -- does the old laptop properly work with other USB devices? 

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
Considering the fact that is was functional until the power hit, has this been tried?

Remove all USB devices physically.  Right-click "my computer" and select manage.  Select "device manager" and "USB controllers" from the tree.  Look for any USB devices, hubs, etc. that have a red "X" and delete them.  (If there were any "usb root hub" X'ed devices for you to delete, reboot.)  Now try connecting the logger and see what happens. (thought here is that the driver may have gotten corrupted)

Also make sure the logger is well seated in the console.  I've chased my tail before not realizing it had been bumped and was not making good connection.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

anything