Weather Software > WeeWX Software

Unable to upload to Weather Underground: getting SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED

(1/3) > >>

flainn:
Hi all,

About 24 hours ago, weewx stopped being able to upload to Weather Underground. After turning on debugging, I'm seeing this ovr and over:

Jan 30 17:42:41 raspberrypi weewx[18116]: restx: Wunderground-RF: Failed upload attempt 1: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:661)>

I have emailed Weather Underground about it too. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Did WU's SSL certificate expire?

vreihen:
I do not see any gaps in my WU data to indicate an upload error.

Did you check the clock on your Raspberry Pi to see that it has the correct time and year 2020?

Is your ISP playing "man in the middle" to intercept your traffic for "virus/malware scanning" and re-encrypting it with their own certificate?????

flainn:
As we've seen before, it's entirely possible for some weather stations to experience issues uploading to WU, while others continue working fine; I have past threads here which detail that experience. It's possible WU is using multiple SSL certs, with some clients using different ones.

The clock on my rpi is syncing via ntp and is correctly set.

While it's not impossible my ISP (HughesNet) might be doing that, I've never noticed it and, like I said, this only started happening in the last 48 hours. Moreover, uploads to other sites is unaffected (CWOP, PWSWeather).

Been uploading successfully for 2.5 years and made no changes on my end.

From Googling, this issue does seem to come up every few years with WU. I haven't seen a fix other than turning off strict SSL cert verification, which doesn't seem like a fix at all.

mcrossley:
Try updating your root certs?

Their wildcard cert is for *.wunderground.com and validates OK on my Windows machine - valid from Aug 2019 to Jan 2021

flainn:
Will look into a way to download a copy of WU's cert. I don't recall that being a part of the process for setting up weewx, which is odd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version