Author Topic: retransmit  (Read 1518 times)

Offline celestron8

retransmit
« on: May 23, 2014, 06:54:06 AM »
hey everyone.  My first ever post on here.  Just bought a VP2 and will be taking my Vantage Vue out of service but I will still be using the console.  The VP2 ISS will be going in the yard at 5' high while the anemometer will be going on the roof and using a wireless transmitter.  Just wondering what the consensus is.  Should i have the VP2 console retransmit to the Vue console or just have the Vue get its readings directly from the VP2 ISS and anemometer transmitter.  Thanks in advance.  Off to work I go.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: retransmit
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 08:31:58 AM »
Welcome and enjoy your stay!   :)

No need to retransmit.  Just enjoy each console separately.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 08:33:07 AM »
How far are the ISS and Anemometer Transmitter from the console?
I think that you will find that the Davis RF performance is very good and retransmit probably isn't necessary.
If you have a long distance or a unique situation (interference, signal blocking obstacles), it might be needed.
I have two VUE consoles (along with the VP2, Envoy and Envoy8x) and I do not retransmit. The VP2 and Envoys are in the basement as well.

Greg
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:34:47 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline celestron8

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »
Thanks guys. Consoles will only be maybe 50 feet from ISS. Now to just get it all installed!

Online Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »
We jsut set up a VP2 and are using 2 consoles.  One is connected to the weather computer in office/basement and the other console is up in the family room.  Both are getting their data from the ISS and Anemometer - did not need to retransmitt.

Otis

CW3699

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
What's wrong with running both stations?  The batteries don't need replacement very often and are cheap.

Having a backup Vue saved my bacon yesterday during an early morning thunderstorm.  I awoke to rain and rushed to close windows after which I checked to see how much we had received.  My newly replaced VP2+ as of last week said 0.00", while my Vue said 0.25"! Uh-oh, I did something stupid during installation, but what?

I went downstairs where my on-line VP2+ console resides and kept pace with the Vue's rainfall report manually on the VP2+'s console over the next 2 1/2 hours until the rain stopped at 0.97".  (Yeah, I know, bad OCD.)  After things dried out somewhat yesterday morning I went back up to the roof (I live in a townhouse and have no access to an open yard for ISS placement) to see what was wrong.

During final assembly of my new VP2+ in my great room I apparently missed badly as I attached the rain collector to the ISS because the tipping bucket was jammed into the splash shield so it couldn't tip. #-o  I initially suspected that the heater's 24V wire had moved up from where I had placed it behind the splash shield and caused the problem.  There is a grommet near enoough to block the heater foot from the heater's tap-hole on the knock-out side of the ISS, so I used the tap-holes on the other side, but this wasn't the problem.  Instead I had somehow jammed the tipping bucket into the splash shield because I didn't line things up well enough at first during my attachment of the rain collector. ](*,)

I purchased the Vue as a back-up, and it did its job when needed.  It remains to be seen if my new VP2+ will now correctly record rain events.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
only to solve a difficult location
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
The only good reason I can think of to use retransmit in your situation would be if the second console goes in a location where it can hear the first console but can't hear the ISS.  That seems unlikely in your case.

One disadvantage of retransmitting is that you burn up another channel, which could make you a bit of an undesirable neighbor if you live in a Davis crowded neighborhood.

Offline celestron8

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
I just might do that :grin: