Author Topic: Mounting on Cinderblock fence  (Read 1529 times)

Offline jagman653

Mounting on Cinderblock fence
« on: December 31, 2022, 01:18:24 PM »
I recently decommissioned my old Oregon Scientific an got an Ambient WS2000. The mounting hardware offered by Ambient seemed to be oriented to those who want the station on a tall pole. I wanted low enough to easily work on for adjustments, battery replacement, etc. After nosing around a bit I came across this Universal Antenna Pole Outdoor Mount on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Pole-Outdoor-Mount-Universal/dp/B088H8BMN3/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_w=iXtMc&content-id=amzn1.sym.196193c7-f80f-4550-90d9-c8be3a442748&pf_rd_p=196193c7-f80f-4550-90d9-c8be3a442748&pf_rd_r=H2NDRXRFFWE5HFMF7RNZ&pd_rd_wg=VFvN0&pd_rd_r=48d6d4d1-2892-4e57-bd7f-ffca05d08a56&pd_rd_i=B088H8BMN3&psc=1

It's cheap and works perfectly. As you can see, I first attached a 2x6 on the wall and then attached the mounting bracket to it. The reason for this is cinderblock is a composite of cement & gravel and the masonry drill bit tends to drift when it encounters a piece of gravel. You can see the problem in the photo where I had to abandon my first try for the lower left screw.

A kitchen ladder allowed me to see the little leveling bubble that ensures accurate readings of rain, wind direction, etc.

Perhaps you can see the edge of a piece of 0.02" brass shim stock slid under the lower edge of mounting bracket. That's there because the mounting bracket seems to be designed to provide a slight tilt off of vertical as might be necessary to clear the roof edge when mounting an antenna on the eves of a house.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 01:45:30 PM by jagman653 »

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
Re: Mounting on Cinderblock fence
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 01:52:57 PM »
Hate to have to tell you, but walls/fences are BAD NEWS for temp measurements. . .
Oregon Scientific WMR200 + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 03:05:28 PM »
Keep in mind that the mounting of all weather stations is usually a compromise of some kind especially with an All-In-One device. Either a height restriction, existing trees, buildings, water, roofs, pesky HOAs, etc. Even safety when maintenance is needed. Possibly a slightly taller pole could be substituted since the mounting bracket seems easily accessed for maintenance.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline jagman653

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 03:13:08 PM »
Keep in mind that the mounting of all weather stations is usually a compromise of some kind especially with an All-In-One device. Either a height restriction, existing trees, buildings, water, roofs, pesky HOAs, etc. Even safety when maintenance is needed. Possibly a slightly taller pole could be substituted since the mounting bracket seems easily accessed for maintenance.

Thanks, Vasco & Notsorusty.

As an engineer with training and experience in heat transfer I'm well aware possible effects on the readings. However,  I believe the sensors are high enough above the fence to minimize the effects. I'll be keeping an eye on readings and comparing with other nearby Weather Underground stations.

Yes, a longer pole is possible. I might do that if necessary. No HOA restrictions at any might I might be willing to install.

Ed

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 05:55:54 PM »

As an engineer with training and experience in heat transfer I'm well aware possible effects on the readings. However,  I believe the sensors are high enough above the fence to minimize the effects. I'll be keeping an eye on readings and comparing with other nearby Weather Underground stations.

Yes, a longer pole is possible. I might do that if necessary. No HOA restrictions at any might I might be willing to install.

Ed
You can't compare with nearby stations. Your micro climate is just that. Yours. Where those other stations are located and how they are sighted is their micro climate. That's why when you look at a map of stations close together you will see they are have different readings. To do it right get a pole and mount the unit well above that block wall.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 06:01:10 PM »

Ed
To do it right get a pole and mount the unit well above that block wall.
Yeah, concur. That's bad temp/humidity data waiting to happen.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 03:20:21 PM »
I agree that if you are trying to collect data for research it is important to keep extremely accurate data. But if you are a hobbyist or just want to see what is going on in your "micro-climate" the placement of your equipment should be the "best you can do". Raising the pole could improve the wind and temperature readings. Wind is always the hardest to achieve accurately unless you can reasonably mount it 30 feet in the air and away from 40 foot trees and tall buildings. Temp and rainfall are also problematic unless you have an extremely large open yard for placement. Temp should usually be about 5 or 6 feet but not completely in shade or under a roof. Very difficult to achieve with an All-in-one.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D