Weather Station Hardware > Other Weather Station Hardware

Grounding WX Station Masts

(1/2) > >>

WXbarry:
I will ultimately want to move my Ambient WS-2902C to a second-story gable; perhaps 5 ft. above the roof peak. While this a wireless station (no connections to indoor electronics), and I live in probably one of the least-likely locations to attract a lightning strike (coastal San Diego, CA), what would the Forum recommend for grounding the metal mast?

Many Thanks for comments.

vreihen:
If it isn't grounded per NEC code and there is a loss at your house, the insurance company can point to it as a reason to deny a claim....

WXbarry:
That is issue No. 1, for sure, thanks, vreihen. That is why I’m in no hurry to make the move. If the proper implementation is just too onerous or messy, I just won’t do it.

vreihen:
Someone will invariably come along and suggest a PVC pipe or wooden closet rod as a "non-conductive" mast material alternative.  A quick trip to Google will show a gazillion pictures of trees and wooden utility poles obliterated by lightning strikes.

My family used to own a house on top of a mountain.  From personal experience, I can tell you that NOTHING is "non-conductive" when hit by the voltage/amperage of a lightning strike.  This is why lightning protection strategies for centuries have been to provide an easier path to ground.....

WXbarry:

I'm with you on that one, man! [tup]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version