Author Topic: 20th Anniversary of Saratoga-weather.org  (Read 913 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
20th Anniversary of Saratoga-weather.org
« on: February 07, 2024, 08:05:53 PM »
First light was on 7-Feb-2004 with a one-page website on Comcast Homepages (html only). Wow.. I've been retired that long too :)

The current Saratoga-weather.org site design went online September, 2009 and has proved very durable and it uses many of the scripts I developed/shared.  See the script history for a walk down memory lane if you like.

The first template began 29-Feb-2008 with V1.00 for Weather-Display only.
The Version 3.00 of the templates was released  04-Feb-2011 and has had 404 updates as of 30-Jan-2024

I guess this is a hobby that lasts.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mfd38

• Millis, MA Current Conditions and Forecasts
Re: 20th Anniversary of Saratoga-weather.org
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 08:42:50 PM »
Congratulations Ken!

Thanks for all you have done, and continue to do creating and supporting multiple scripts.

Very much appreciated

=D>

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 09:25:07 PM »
Congratulations Ken =D>
Many of us would not be enjoying this hobby if it weren't for your kindness and knowledge, and sharing.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Conchobair

• www.midkerry-weather.com
    • MidKerry Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 01:48:51 AM »
I echo what everyone else has been saying, but you have made my introduction into this weather hobby so much easier with your templates.
Many thanks for your foresight, knowledge and help you have given us all  [tup]

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 03:30:08 AM »
Ken thanks for all the assistance on the templates and vast other applications that you took over. You are a valuable person when it comes the templates and all.

Chuck

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 07:46:06 AM »
 =D>

Ken,

Thanks for all you do for our hobby. I purchased my first VP2 in 2005 when I lived in Florida and a colleague of mine at NASA helped me get my first website up and running. I looked at the wayback machine and the oldest archive of my website was January 1, 2008 and the credits on the About page shows:

"This site is a template design by CarterLake.org. Special thanks go to Kevin Reed at TNET Weather. AJAX conditions display from Saratoga-Weather.org."

I'm not sure exactly when I implemented your templates, but I suspect sometime in 2008. I've learned a lot over the years, often with your personal help and guidance.

Bill

Offline BoDuke

• Global Moderator
  • Contributor
  • Ambient Weather, Ecowitt, WeeWX, Custom PHP
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 10:12:54 AM »
Happy 20th Anniversary, Ken!

I think you've definitely found a long-term hobby that suits you well and your impact on weather enthusiasts and weather websites around the world is incredible.   =D>

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 12:00:05 PM »
Congratulations, Ken! You're the heart and soul of our hobbyists' ability to organize and share our data with the world.

Thank you so much!

Here's to 20 more years at least.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 01:58:47 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words about the 20 year anniversary.

I did some stats on what's been in the scripts/updates cycle and found:

total modules=60, currently active=45 deprecated=15 totalUpdates=1230 releases

Over time, some scripts were deprecated, mostly due to source websites no longer offering the data required.  Here's the list of those deprecated scripts:

Code: [Select]
DS-forecast.php: Version 1.11 - 03-Apr-2023 script deprecated. DarkSky API shutdown on 31-Mar-2023 so script is non-functional
TweetWX-conditions.php: Version 1.03 - 13-Jun-2023 - scripts deprecated - app API access suspended by Twitter.
WD-AJAX-PHP.zip: Version 2.40a - 04-Feb-2011 WD/AJAX/PHP Template sets are deprecated for new V3.x templates supporting multiple weather station software packages - no updates will be made to these V2.x templates.
WU-forecast.php: Version 1.15 - 31-Dec-2011 - version deprecated for ML version which now works standalone too
WU-forecast.php: Version 3.05 - 28-Feb-2019 - script deprecated as api.wunderground.com closed in March, 2019. Use WC-forecast.php script instead (uses new WU/TWC api.weather.com)
WU-radar-inc.php: Version 1.15 - 16-Aug-2022 - WeatherUnderground stopped generating the radar images used by the script. Script is now not functional and deprecated.
atom-advisory.php: Version 2.13 - 30-Jan-2024 script deprecated in favor of nws-alerts script package
atom-top-warning.php: Version 2.11 - 30-Jan-2024 script deprecated in favor of nws-alerts script package
ec-radar.php: Version 2.06 - 30-Mar-2021 - script is deprecated due to change of EC website to map-based radar and lack of old images needed by the script.
get-nnvl-iod.php: Version 2.02 - 13-Mar-2018 - script is deprecated as the NNVL no longer offers the Image of the Day service in March, 2018.
quake-CANV.php: Version 2.00 - 08-Sep-2012 - script deprecated for quake-json.php script as USGS is deprecating the page it uses on the USGS website
quake-USA.php: Version 1.10 - 08-Sep-2012 - script deprecated for quake-json.php script as USGS is deprecating the page it uses on the USGS website
quake-WORLD.php: Version 1.12 - 08-Sep-2012 - script deprecated for quake-json.php script as USGS is deprecating the page it uses on the USGS website
resize-NOAA-IOD.php: Version 1.00 - 06-Aug-2010 - deprecated script as NOAA changed location and presentation of IOD graphic. Replaced by get-nnvl-iod.php script.
rss-advisory-test.php: Script retired - 17-Dec-2007 - deprecated .. use rss-advisory-test-c.php script instead
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Dador

• Jejkowice
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 02:03:08 PM »
Thank you Ken for your scripts, which I have been using on my website for several years.
I wish you health and further development of your weather passions.

Greetings from Poland  [tup]

Offline scudwatcher

• Billy T. Forecaster Webmaster csraweather.net
  • Senior Contributor
  • Amateur Radio KC4SRA csraweather.net
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 03:46:26 PM »
Congratulations, Ken!  Thank You for all you've done and continue to do for so many weather enthusiasts and hobbyists alike.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 08:30:22 AM »
Congratulations and thanks for all you do. You have "saved my bacon" numerous times with my website!

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 12:08:53 PM »
Congrats Ken!! You've been one of the greatest supporters with all your scripts and help all these years.

I'm just a year behind you beginning in May 2005, starting my first site with VWS and then Carter Lake templates and yours after that.
Tony

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 02:35:43 PM »
Congratulations and thank you very much for the job !

Offline zmarfak

• Contributor
    • Matar
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2024, 05:21:39 AM »
Ken, congratulations !
Patrick
Davis Vantage Pro2 with a Meteobridge NANO SD and WL (6.04) on a Intel NUC 
https://www.matar.be

Offline weatherbee

• Senior Contributor
    • Sherman Ct. Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2024, 01:22:00 PM »
Congratulations Ken.  Time really flies by.
I've had a website since 2002 but your work has kept mine running smoothly for the past many years.
Thanks,
Tom

Offline meteosanjuan

• Meteosanjuan
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2024, 01:49:06 PM »

This hobby that many of us here have becomes a reality thanks to you. Thanks for everything.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 01:40:35 PM »
Congratulations Ken!

Glad to see that you are still active and providing new and exciting updates to your templates and many other creations that give all of us more complete weather websites.

I retired in June of 2005 and moved to Minden, Nevada the following month. I purchased my Davis VP2 in December of 2005 along with the VWS software. My first website was created and uploaded in December of 2005. It's been a great journey, along with the challenges to get things just right. Your templates and assistance have helped me put together a working website. Along the way, you helped me getting Weather Display up and running. The website continues today even after a move from Nevada to Idaho.

I look forward to continuing to be associated with this great forum even though my 84th birthday is coming soon.

Thanks again for all you do and have done for this community.

Best regards,
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849