Author Topic: Rainwise WU-PWS?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline SCCThree

Rainwise WU-PWS?
« on: April 25, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
Hello!

I have finally decided to pull the trigger on a good weather station for my house after several years of being on the fence.  I noticed the Rainwise and wunderground have partnered up to offer a package deal preconfigured to log to wunderground.  I am having a difficult time figuring out any detail on this special model WU-PWS.  I am kinda assuming it is some form of the MKIII without the ability to add extra sensors which I don't think I'll need. 

I am trying to see if anyone here has an opinion on the unit and can give me any further info.  I am also trying to determine what its wireless range might be.  Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sam

Edit:
Here is the URL for the unit: http://rainwise.com/wunderground/
I hit the search function and didn't get any hits on WU-PWS before I started this thread.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:17:49 PM by SCCThree »

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
Re: Rainwise WU-PWS?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »
Hi Sam, I do not have a WU-PWS unit, but I believe it is the same as a MKIII-LR (long range).  Offered at a special price, it is sold directly by RainWise, but the buyer pays shipping.  I think your best bet is to call Lonnie Wright in RainWise sales (800-762-5723) to get any questions you have answered.  Bill

Offline SCCThree

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:34:26 PM »
Bill,
Thanks for the advice.  I did contact support and did hear back from Lonnie and he confirmed the same thing you said.  The page for the WU-PWS states that accessories can not be added to the WU version.  I didn't ask that question to Lonnie but perhaps the software on the WU version is slightly crippled.  I was not planning on adding any options but it would be good to know what the exact differences are.  I will see what I can find out and report back.
Sam

Offline SCCThree

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 09:51:22 PM »
Heard back from support.  The WU version is locked out from extra sensors.  Makes sense to get the price down.  I would love to add a UV sensor but not a deal breaker.  Case closed.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
I have a "regular" Mk III and I can't add extra sensors either without changing the control board.  I wonder if the control board change would allow an upgrade on the WU unit?

Offline SCCThree

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »
Good question.  It might.  I would imagine the prevention of adding accessories on the Weather Underground version is disabled in the firmware.  The hardware is probably exactly the same as the regular LR unit.

I do not advocate circumventing the restrictions on the WU-PWS version, I just find it an interesting topic in general how features are disabled on any products via HW/SW.