Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109102 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
After over a week of uninterrupted use, I notice that the realtime.txt file of the wifi logger was abnormal, I rebooted and everything came back ok. A programmed automatic restart function would be useful. You can set a time once a day or a week so that the wifi logger automatically restarts
Auto rebooting option is one thing, but could you tell us what was abnormal in this file?
This was software issue, should be repaired.

Offline Dave97

Can this device report to more than one software? Like cumulus and weather display at the same time.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Can this device report to more than one software? Like cumulus and weather display at the same time.
No. It can operate own software, or stop it and allow one sofware like Cumulus, Weewx, WD, WeatherLink to take control over console.
Console is made for one link/software only.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
After over a week of uninterrupted use, I notice that the realtime.txt file of the wifi logger was abnormal, I rebooted and everything came back ok. A programmed automatic restart function would be useful. You can set a time once a day or a week so that the wifi logger automatically restarts
Auto rebooting option is one thing, but could you tell us what was abnormal in this file?

He had changed the spacing of the file data. Done restarting is back ok. However I believe that having the possibility to do an automatic reboot could be useful

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

He had changed the spacing of the file data. Done restarting is back ok. However I believe that having the possibility to do an automatic reboot could be useful

I will combine this with PING and give to user option to turn on/off.
This will be one option for both. Reboot everyday at 4:00am  + PING every 1 hour.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
It would be fantastic !!!! However the wifi logger is really fine

Offline bahuga

• Meteo-Sciez

ESP8266 has two MAC addresses. Station and Access Point. I havent seen WiFiLogger logged to router with second MAC, but there is no reason not to believe you.
I have updated SDK and libraries it will be avaible with new firmware. I am testing this new firmware for new bugs and I wanted to add SSDP (no luck).
Hi,
I observed the same problem.  The wifilogger used a MAC address that was different from station and access point Mac addresses listed in the Network info page, and therefore a new IP address was assigned to this  new MAC address by my router.
Davis Vantage Pro 2
http://meteo-sciez.fr

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

ESP8266 has two MAC addresses. Station and Access Point. I havent seen WiFiLogger logged to router with second MAC, but there is no reason not to believe you.
I have updated SDK and libraries it will be avaible with new firmware. I am testing this new firmware for new bugs and I wanted to add SSDP (no luck).
Hi,
I observed the same problem.  The wifilogger used a MAC address that was different from station and access point Mac addresses listed in the Network info page, and therefore a new IP address was assigned to this  new MAC address by my router.

I will try to the end of this week publish new firmware, which has new libraries.
This is fault inside librabry, if new firmware will not repair that, then I will rewrite connection function to working version.
I hope that new library will just work as it should.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website

Hi,
For me, setting the WiFiLogger's IP Address to what I wanted in its Settings, as well as leaving my router set up to assign that IP address to its 'normal' MAC address, seemed to abolish the 'tendency to wander'.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Jed42

So I was wonder how people are sending the data to be used with weather display? 

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
So I was wonder how people are sending the data to be used with weather display?

I don't have WD, but WiFiLogger can work as WeatherLink IP. WD is connecting to WiFiLogger on port 22222.
Same like WeatherLink PC, Cumulus, WeeWx etc.
Please not, that open connection by any software will stop internal WiFiLogger export functions. Cumulus has option to repair that. It is called "Disconn. period"
It is releasing connection every 1 min, for time "discon. period", to allow WiFiLogger makes own export. Like WeatherLink, WeatherUnderground etc.
But when you have WD, then WD should make all those exports, so there is no need to double export functions.

Offline WeatherRick2

I thought I would report back on extending the range of the Wifilooger utilizing an external antenna.  WiFilogger made available a custom unit allowing use of an external antenna shown by the pictures attached.  I also included a picture of the antenna attached to my Vantage Pro 2 using a thin wire twisted around the antenna.

What was once a slightly unstable connection is now rock-solid due to the external antenna. I would imagine that if demand warrants, an external antenna version will become generally available. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline WeatherRick2

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

(not sure why these did not attach in my first post)

Offline WeatherRick2

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
WD has that disconnect option as well

Offline bjp

• KVTEASTF5
Thank you so much for creating the WifiLogger!  Reading about it on this thread made me had to have one, which led me to fix up my VP2+ that has been sitting unused in my barn for three years after the supercapacitor died.  The ability to upload data from my pre-2006 VP2 console is wonderful and is going to be a father's day present, a step above the webcam link we gave him last year.  Thank you also to Ryan at Scaled Instruments for distributing them in the US and the rest of the help he provided to get my console ready for the WFL.

I have a few minor questions about the WFL.

First, is it expected behavior that enabling or disabling the auto-sleep mode requires a restart of the WFL?  It took me a while to figure this out and I could not find it documented anywhere.  I am using the WFL only to export data to WU, not accessing it using any local PC software, and it seems like a five minute auto-sleep period is perfect to avoid the WFL warming up the console enough to throw off the indoor temperature readings.  I am running firmware 2.16.

Next, does the wifi chip the WFL uses support wake on WLAN?  I love that I can have the WFL sleep so that my indoor temps stay accurate, but obviously the web interface is not responsive during the sleep period, so if I want to modify a setting I hit reload repeatedly on my web browser until I can catch the WFL during a WU upload period, quickly disable auto-sleep, then reload repeatedly until it wakes again to force a reboot, then I can adjust settings slowly and carefully.  If wake on WLAN is available, it would be a very useful option for users like me who want the WFL to sleep as much as possible but still make it accessible via web browser when needed. If this is not possible, there is no problem, I still love the device!

Thank you again, you have done an amazing service for Davis users.
2005 Davis VP2+ with WifiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
First, is it expected behavior that enabling or disabling the auto-sleep mode requires a restart of the WFL?  It took me a while to figure this out and I could not find it documented anywhere.  I am using the WFL only to export data to WU, not accessing it using any local PC software, and it seems like a five minute auto-sleep period is perfect to avoid the WFL warming up the console enough to throw off the indoor temperature readings.  I am running firmware 2.16.
Hi. Thank for choosing WFL.
There is no documentary for sleep mode. No one was using it up to now.
Yes. You have to reboot WiFiLogge after set sleep mode enable, because this function is working while firmware boot.
ESP8266 has not very good system for sleep mode. It is disabling microcontroler. Only small RAM memory is running an the timer. This timer after sleep period is triggering reset = white button. So there is no difference if you push white button to reboot/turn on WiFiLogger, or wait this sleep time period, then timer will "push" white button.
Logic is simple.
1. turn on and connect to WiFi
2. make read station
3. make export
4. turn off.
It will take 2-8 seconds.
During this time you can push and keep touching red button. While connecting, reading station, making export, there is about 10 point when firmware is checking status of red button, if will be pushed, then point 4: "turn off" will be omitted and WiFiLogger will remain active, up to reset/reboot. Then you can turn off sleep mode if you like.

Sleep mode was made because of high power consumption which is identical like WeatherLink IP.
Console is working 1 year on batteries
Console + RS/USB logger will work 3 month on batteries.
Console + WiFiLogger with sleep mode was not tested to the end, but should works 1 month+
Console + WiFiLogger/WL IP 69 hours on fresh batteries.

I wasn't thinking about disabling WFL to not making warm console :)

Next, does the wifi chip the WFL uses support wake on WLAN?  I love that I can have the WFL sleep so that my indoor temps stay accurate, but obviously the web interface is not responsive during the sleep period, so if I want to modify a setting I hit reload repeatedly on my web browser until I can catch the WFL during a WU upload period, quickly disable auto-sleep, then reload repeatedly until it wakes again to force a reboot, then I can adjust settings slowly and carefully.  If wake on WLAN is available, it would be a very useful option for users like me who want the WFL to sleep as much as possible but still make it accessible via web browser when needed. If this is not possible, there is no problem, I still love the device!

Unfortunately. Processor is power off completely during sleep, radio as well.
Please push white button, after that press and keep toushing red button for 5-8 sec. This will prevent WiFiLogger against power off after export.
After releasing red button WiFiLogger will remain active up to next reboot (white button).

Offline bjp

• KVTEASTF5
I wasn't thinking about disabling WFL to not making warm console :)
It is a sign of a great product when people start successfully using it in ways you had not considered, in my opinion. It works great with sleep mode for my usage.

Unfortunately. Processor is power off completely during sleep, radio as well.
Please push white button, after that press and keep toushing red button for 5-8 sec. This will prevent WiFiLogger against power off after export.
After releasing red button WiFiLogger will remain active up to next reboot (white button).
This sounds like a perfect workaround and will be far less frustrating than reloading the page repeatedly.  Thank you for such rapid support!
2005 Davis VP2+ with WifiLogger

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
I tried setting a longer upload interval but my Rapid Fire "Last Updated" time stays at One Minute even though Rapid Fire is obviously updating every few seconds.

It displays the proper time on the deprecated site.

Any idea why? I am using a Davis with WFL.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I tried setting a longer upload interval but my Rapid Fire "Last Updated" time stays at One Minute even though Rapid Fire is obviously updating every few seconds.
I think I have discovered why it is happening.

Problem is in time. I have programmed function to check if console time is not different than this from NTP server, but there can be difference up to 2 min.
Even when I have repaired that. Computer (browser) has different  time than WiFiLogger and console. This is normal. That why there is so many synchronization methods on any system.

Weather Underground has time taken from sample, sample has console time.
Weather Underground web page has time from your PC and it is calculating on your computer difference between sample and PC time.

Now, why when you use WeatherLink PC to export to WU time is ok?
WeatherLink PC take time from PC, add to sample and send to WU.
Webrowser is taking same PC time and checking with this sample, which had time from same clock.

Please change time on your computer to same time which is marked as "Station time". Then check once more WU.

I have change firmware to update console time almost everytime when has new time from NTP. It will be avaible when I will release it.
After that all devices: PCs, smarphones etc. which are synchronized to NTP, will have same time like WiFiLogger which from now will be synchronized without 1-2 min margin.

I have contact with Windy.com to make export to theirs site. We want to make it in proper way, so we are testing and changing some things.
When Windy.com will be ready. Firmware will be released. I hope soon.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Why does it currently work fine on deprecated site? Just curious.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Why does it currently work fine on deprecated site? Just curious.
Sorry. I don't have any answer for that. I was testing current WU.
Maybe they used timestamp not from sample from WiFiLogger, but from WU system.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Cool. I'll try it out later. Something goofy with time in new sit like it briefly displays offline and updated 49 yrs ago as it logs in and changes to metric. "Cue spooky sound"

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Cool. I'll try it out later. Something goofy with time in new sit like it briefly displays offline and updated 49 yrs ago as it logs in and changes to metric. "Cue spooky sound"
Two things in same time.
Eposh time = number of seconds from 1970 year. Epoch = 1560358082
https://www.epochconverter.com/
This is how time is transfered via Internet in many systems. Then you can change it to more "human" time date format.
So 49 years ago means. Epoch on startup of WU page is set to 0.

Second thing. AJAX. Web page is loaded in first moment. Then JavaScript programm is connecting to WU server in background and ask for data from database.
JavaScript can be executed anytime, but HTML website should be fully loaded before running script.

1. Download HTML page for WU. No weather data here.
2. Wait until page will be fully loaded to your web browser.
3. Execute JavaScript script asking for weather data.
4. repeat forever asking for current data.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
I enjoy that information.

Should the WFL not sync time on the frequency set at WiFi page?

I tried a different NTP server and it seemed to update once but has drifted over the last half hour or so. It's fast so shows -seconds on WU.