Author Topic: "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered"  (Read 3670 times)

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
I have been having the above message pop-up on the odd occasion since I bought my Vista laptop. However, it appears to becoming a daily occurrence. Any one any ideas what could be causing this problem?

My display driver is, NVIDIA\WinVista\179.48

Alan.
Alan

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »
The root cause is Vista.  :)   What elese is running?  Is your driver up  to date?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:10:06 PM »
I have been having the above message pop-up on the odd occasion since I bought my Vista laptop. However, it appears to becoming a daily occurrence. Any one any ideas what could be causing this problem?

My display driver is, NVIDIA\WinVista\179.48

Alan.

Vista. All I have to say as to what is causing the problem. Vista was so poorly written IMO.
If you can afford it, upgrade to 7. Just remember to back up everything.

The driver quitting can also be linked to a failing graphics card. If the hardware starts going bad, the drivers are usually the first to go before bigger problems arise. But that's just a hunch. It could also be that something else is interfering with it. What have you recently installed? And have you tried rolling back or updating the driver for it?
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »
It's one of 2 main causes...Vista or a bad/overheating card. Your also several releases removed from current drivers. First thing I would do is download v 196 from Nvidia and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, check the cards heatsink or fan if it has one. Dust is a KILLER to video cards. After that, take a trip or go online and order Windows 7. You won't regret it ;)
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:52:44 AM »
Thanks guys. After doing a few searches on the Internet it would appear that it is a Vista problem and Microsoft released a download to solve the problem, KB938194, done that will wait and see what happens.

According to the Acer website, my display driver is the latest version!

Alan
Alan

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:54:33 AM »
The two times I have seen that message the video card crapped out on me and needed to be replaced.

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:30:29 AM »
Thanks guys. After doing a few searches on the Internet it would appear that it is a Vista problem and Microsoft released a download to solve the problem, KB938194, done that will wait and see what happens.

According to the Acer website, my display driver is the latest version!

Alan

Alan,

Quite a few manufacturers are either slow to update their driver database or afraid to ge with the latest version to avoid possible issues. The latest driver for all 6-1000 series cards is 196.21. If your running an NForce chipped motherboard you'll also likely find a newer version chipset driver also. Both are worth keeping as up to date as possible.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us

**After reading your OP over again you may be correct about your driver. I missed the fact that your running a laptop. Depending on which mobile chip your running, 179 could very well be the latest.**
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
Thanks guys. After doing a few searches on the Internet it would appear that it is a Vista problem and Microsoft released a download to solve the problem, ...
Alan

Yeah its called Windows 7....

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> UU

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
I'm running W7 and interestingly when my laptop is on batteries and hibernates, the screen graphics go  wingy.  All the latest video drivers  so I'm not sure if it is W7 or the vid drivers.  Answer was no hibernation (which I've never used and would not since W7 is so fast to wake up).
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »
I'm running W7 and interestingly when my laptop is on batteries and hibernates, the screen graphics go  wingy.  All the latest video drivers  so I'm not sure if it is W7 or the vid drivers.  Answer was no hibernation (which I've never used and would not since W7 is so fast to wake up).

Windows 7 is still buggy on hibernation. I've been to hell and back dealing with a failed load of the desktop after logging in upon Hibernation wakeup.

Your best bet is sleep mode. I shut my laptop lid and it goes into sleep in about three seconds (whereas when it had Vista, that took about a minute, and if interrupted, would freeze and/or BSoD). The battery only lasts for about an hour and a half when I use it, but in sleep mode it lasts for about six. It all depends on your laptop and battery I guess..
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
Yeah, I never use hibernation, but the problem still crops up.  Not sure why.  But sleep is fast.  I suspect the vid drivers.

UPDATE: The villain appears to be a Bluetooth dongle and its USB power  scheme  Apparently it does not work right on suspend.  Unplug the dongle and all is well.  But there are even more recent vid drivers from Intel so I man DL them.  Gotta look for the latest APCI power drivers too I guess. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:12:10 AM by Bushman »

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 02:53:06 AM »
Update guys. There is a later version of the video drivers, which I have now downloaded, so far I have not had a repeat of the problem.

Alan.
Alan

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:42:50 PM »
Yeah, I never use hibernation, but the problem still crops up.  Not sure why.  But sleep is fast.  I suspect the vid drivers.

UPDATE: The villain appears to be a Bluetooth dongle and its USB power  scheme  Apparently it does not work right on suspend.  Unplug the dongle and all is well.  But there are even more recent vid drivers from Intel so I man DL them.  Gotta look for the latest APCI power drivers too I guess. 

I turned off USB sleep and all is fine.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 12:21:15 AM »
I lied  :)  Not fine.  I think it is the CSR Bluetooth modem.