Author Topic: Windows Update Tuesday - what a day.  (Read 12510 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Windows Update Tuesday - what a day.
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »

Well, either Mother Nature or Ma Bell is in a good mood this evening.  For some reason the phone lines just started working again.  It's definitely not boring living out in the country!  (even if it seems the phone is two tin cans and a string!).

Well guess the string dried out and became taught enough again to restore comms. :grin:

You know, I've got to give them credit.  I was really surprised.  The lady called me about 10:15 last night to ensure the phone was working.  She said the technician was on another line at the site of the problem (probably down at the road where we connect to the main phone line) working on it.  I really didn't expect that kind of service.

=D> UU

So I'll give a tip of the hat to Ma Bell!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
Oh bother - now more crap.  ](*,) ](*,) :evil: :evil:

One of the updates (a hardware related - Non critical update) that I allowed to be installed with those critical updates, worked fine for a day, then my machine started to bluescreen like crazy last night.  I used system restore, and went back to a time before the updates were installed, this time re-installing the critical updates without that hardware update.  

The machine was then stable again, but now no sound.  It appears that even though the hardware update was not related to my sound card, the system restore roll back, and "critical update only re-install" fubared my sound card drivers.  The computer recognized the card, and the volume was adjusted but nothing, and none of the proprietary programs that came with card worked either.  So then I went to even earlier restore points in the month, no luck. :cry: #-o   So then I had to uninstall the drivers using the soundcard install/drivers disk that came with the card.  But then windows would not release the drivers to complete the uninstall. ](*,)  :sad:  

After a several more attempts at repair installation/un-install, with no luck, I gave up.   ](*,)  :-&

I formatted the windows hard drive (I have separate Windows, Data, and Media drives in the machine for just this reason) and reloaded a FULL disk image backup I had from last months archives.  
After updating virus software, and doing those critical windows updates only, for the third time.  All seems back to normal as of 11:00pm when I went to bad last night, with sound and all. \:D/  
I guess when I get home form work today, I will give the computer one more chance to prove her worthiness, before I call this issue resolved. [-o<
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:39:39 AM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 07:42:44 AM »
Oh bother - now more crap.  ](*,) ](*,) :evil: :evil:

One of the updates (a hardware related - Non critical update) that I allowed to be installed with those critical updates, worked fine for a day, then my machine started to bluescreen like crazy last night.  I used system restore, and went back to a time before the updates were installed, this time re-installing the critical updates without that hardware update.

You should send them a nasty email.

It probably wouldn't do any good, but it would make you feel better.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »
The funny thing about the "hardware update" is that it never really said what hardware it was for, when I clicked on the details button for the update.  I thought to myself, well since Microsoft recommended it, it must be time to do it, so I will. 8-[   Boy that was a big mistake.  I was the sucker for that one, I should of known better.  But I will guarantee that it will not happen again. [-X

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »

One of the updates (a hardware related - Non critical update) that I allowed to be installed with those critical updates, worked fine for a day, then my machine started to bluescreen like crazy last night.  I used system restore, and went back to a time before the updates were installed, this time re-installing the critical updates without that hardware update.

I guess it make me feel better, by venting my struggles here.  Besides if I sent them an email, nobody will ever read it anyways.  At least by posting here, others may learn from yesterday's drawn out process.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 08:02:30 AM »

I guess it make me feel better, by venting my struggles here.  Besides if I sent them an email, nobody will ever read it anyways.  At least by posting here, others may learn from yesterday's drawn out process.

What happened yesterday?

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 09:16:16 AM »

What happened yesterday?

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=5602.msg51175#msg51175

Yeah, saw that, was just making a yoke.

Oh okay, I thought you were doing a "personal" brain/system restore on your end, and you needed the story "re-installed" again. ;) :-)

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 09:23:42 AM »
M$ only releases these updates to slow our systems down and break things :twisted: They are hoping we will all get frustrated and purchase a new system running Windows 7 #-o

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
M$ only releases these updates to slow our systems down and break things :twisted: They are hoping we will all get frustrated and purchase a new system running Windows 7 #-o

Hmmmm, a very good theory.  And last night purchasing a Windows 7 upgrade was on my mind.   :-k

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
Hmmmm, a very good theory.  And last night purchasing a Windows 7 upgrade was on my mind.   :-k

This past weekend, I bought a 1.5 TB external hard drive to keep videos and stuff on.  I'm thinking that in the future, I may just buy the cheapest computers and keep the files on external hard drives, since they're getting so big and the price is coming down.  That way, if a computer crashes, throw it away and get another one.  (I'm sure there's some down side to this train of thought, but I need more coffee). 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
i had to do  a system restore after those updates. Couldnt open IE or outlook. I tried to run the IE without ad-ons and that wouldnt run either. Once I did a restore everything is fine.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 11:41:20 PM »
I find a lot of truth in that theory. Seems to me that with every new OS release they do, they hit us with a ton of "critical updates" just prior or after that seem to mess up the system. It's even more fun when they drop support. In my world, this is how it's been since WIN95.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »
So far, my computer has been stable this morning.  Installed a new version of Skype and still no blue-screen issues.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
The last I had any blue screens of death. It was relarted to a bad memory simm.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
    I guess I lucked out.  So far at least.  I downloaded and installed all 13  updates onto my weather computer (only on-line computer too) and I have not had a hint of trouble. I hope it stays that way!!! 8-[

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 11:12:30 PM »
Had about 22 updates for my Windows Vista laptop this week. Still no problems.

My Windows XP desktop has some major issues here:

1) IE will not work. I open it up, and it freezes.
2) Half my system tray goes dead
3) Taskbar disappears, rendering the friggin' thing useless..Ctrl-Alt-Del won't bring it back up. Had to push and hold the power button
4) Backed up my important files (school, random, music, video, photos, WMC recordings).
5) Will back up again, at least the iTunes file folder b/c my iPod touch decided it wanted to be restored.
6) Then after, I'm reinstalling Windows.

I'm getting an iMac for Christmas, mainly b/c the Windows PC has problems. I can't install updates on it b/c IE sucks. I've also been using my Power Mac for quite a while. I guess it's good to stretch out the CPU (500 mHz PPC). So far internal temps have not exceeded 105 in about a month.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:58 AM »
Updated two XP boxes no problem what so ever. Firefox didn't like a couple of thing that the upgrade added and block them and that all that has showed up. Computers are running fine.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 08:27:21 AM »
I started the computers this morning and low and behold another update on my main machine and 2 on my laptop to be done.  Must be that last push before Windows 7 thing again.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
I started the computers this morning and low and behold another update on my main machine and 2 on my laptop to be done.  Must be that last push before Windows 7 thing again.

I had 18 new installs this morning and I had completed the main installation last week like everyone else! I wonder if there were problems with the original updates so Microsoft released another batch today to make corrections. I haven't seen anything in the update blogs about it so far.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 12:22:19 AM »

I had 18 new installs this morning and I had completed the main installation last week like everyone else! I wonder if there were problems with the original updates so Microsoft released another batch today to make corrections. I haven't seen anything in the update blogs about it so far.

Had 4 updates on my Vista laptop lastnight, more this evening. Dad had 40 updates due on his Vista laptop because he was out of town for a few weeks. Restored HP Media Center computer with Vista 64 Bit. It gave a BSoD when we turned it on last night. So far the BSoD hasn't returned, but it had nearly over 100 updates, including the SP2 update. Mom's Acer Aspire One laptop (XP) had 8 last week, 1 this morning. My Acer Aspire One has probably a few, and the two office computers have like, a million. Still haven't turned on my Windows XP desktop today, probably won't for awhile.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »
So far no problems here.  Laptop is all up to date.  I did have to pick and choose on my two old computers with limited hard drive space.  Two computers at work also went well.  I keep dragging my feet on the server and another there used as a cash register hoping they will get someone in who actually knows what they are doing on them.  The cash register has not even been upgraded to XP SP2 yet and the AV updates on all expired nearly a year ago.   #-o  But until they crash hard they will not spend the money.  Damned if I do update and it goes bad, damned if I don't and they go down as they seem to have elected me guru (because I come cheap) to keep them running even though I have no formal computer training past the DOS days other then the school of hard knocks.   :roll:

I've been running the new free version of Windows Security Essentials here at home and at work on the two computers I do have in good shape.  Seems to be working OK so far.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Does not look like that will work for the server at work though.  IIRC it is running Win Server 2003
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2009, 05:46:41 AM »
My two Desktops had no problems with the updates (both running vista, soon to be replaced with windows 7), and laptop with windows 7 RC on it. (I hope vista does not know it will be dragged off the hard drive whether it likes it or not in the coming days).

I have always set updates to manual, despite the big red warnings from windows, as I rather do it myself so I can see what is going on as windows defender updates used to be a pain sometimes and not install, so I would have to go to the MS site and find them manually.

Also for people who like to manually do the updates, if they install the new security essentials keep an eye on it as it will turn updates back to automatic and the enhanced microsoft update that does office as well as windows etc does that too.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »
Last update caused me a drive rebuild
Ihave been a little more selective concerning updates since then.I never did figure the exact cause of that but it sure did make a mess!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092