Author Topic: Registry rebuild  (Read 5119 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Registry rebuild
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
For some reason after I done the M$ pushed update this evening my main PC crashed with a corrupted registry. Virus scan and Malware scan was ran last night and came back clean and it was not used today since I was not home.

For some reason using the repair console on the XP CD it cant find a system config file to copy and thats as far as I go for now.
Anybody got a better way of doing the rebuild?? Maybe under Linux can it be done more easily?   I just need to get this back running without a complete reinstall if possible. Currently my GR3 is running on my laptop which I seldom use but I don't suppose it is a good idea to be in 24/7 duty cycle of use.

Any help..enlightening greatly apreciated

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Re: Registry rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
Shouldn't you be able to do a restore to "last known stable version"?

I'm a bit rusty on it, but shouldn't installing updates create a restore point (to include the registry)?

You'd access the restore console during boot time by pressing something like F8 or F12--whatever the "secret" function key is...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:45:34 PM »
Boot into the repair console and uninstall the last updates using the instructions here:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm
and see if that does the trick. Works about 90% of the time in my experience.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »
Shouldn't you be able to do a restore to "last known stable version"?

I'm a bit rusty on it, but shouldn't installing updates create a restore point (to include the registry)?

You'd access the restore console during boot time by pressing something like F8 or F12--whatever the "secret" function key is...

I believe that would work if it could boot into Windows but it never gets that far.. Missing config.sys file.

What a mess!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »
Boot into the repair console and uninstall the last updates using the instructions here:

Thanks!! I'll give that a try. Currently is cant find the config.sys file for some reason.
Not a pleasant mess  :lol:

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:59:04 PM »

I did the procedure outlined in the link and still a no go..

Error says that \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt.
I can't seem to rebuild this file so far

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:28:15 AM »
Win Xp or Vista ?

If Win Xp then you can try a last ditch repair.

Insert your XP disk and boot from it.
When asked the first time if you want to Repair or Install .... choose install
 (the first repair asks if you have the system file backup floppy which most folks dont do)
Continue on to where it shows an existing installation of Windows and wants to know if you want to install a fresh copy or repair.
Select repair. IF your existing Windows is not too badly corrupt then an attempt to copy Windows over the top of the current installation will be attempted. This sometimes gets the computer up and running long enough to get important files off so a complete wipe and reinstall can be done.

If you get no prompt to repair...only to reinstall then windows is badly corrupt. It is best to put a different drive in place...load up windows and then connect the original drive as a secondary drive so you can copy the files across to save them.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »
Glad this didn't happen to me on my last forced windows update. And let hope the next one doesn't nail me. Maybe by then MS will fix the problem. Talk about s$!#@&^% the pooch.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
I had a support call last fall here at work....user was running updates with me on the phone and the power went out in the middle. After the power came back on the computer would boot to the Win splash screen ... hang and then blue screen. Had to rebuild from scratch...that is why on shutdown it says that it will turn off after updates.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 05:45:43 PM »
My mac did that.... so its not just MS.  Luckily it was only 3 months, so I had my free 24/7 support.  Took about an hour on the phone, pressing and holding "apple keys" booting, and booting etc.   Then of course they tried to sell me an extended support plan for x hundred.

On the pc side, with drive space costing only 9-14 cents a GB, I am making "working" images all the time to avoid another start from scratch.

Andrew

I had a support call last fall here at work....user was running updates with me on the phone and the power went out in the middle. After the power came back on the computer would boot to the Win splash screen ... hang and then blue screen. Had to rebuild from scratch...that is why on shutdown it says that it will turn off after updates.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
By any chance are you using a 1T Western Digital drive?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »
The pushed updates are normally ignored here but this once I did install it...BAD MOVE ...
I need to find my BART DVD and see if I can roll back to a previous restore point that worked and hopefully I can get there long enough to get off what I need before a clean install is required. 

I had thought about the install over existing install but IIRC I loose all my files I am trying to save....which is looking more dim ever day.

Most of the data is backed up on DVD incremental updates but some is not. If I dont find my DVD I an going to borrow one from another source or download and burn at work where I have a DVD writer and try that if no good there I guess install over existing is in order because at that point I am at the end of the rope anyway LOL!

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
Had something similar happen last week. Downloaded the updates M$ released and rebooted. Then I couldn't get online. I was connected. but couldn't do anything. I did a system restore to the day before and that fixed it. I wont download them again.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:00:34 AM »
My system downloaded so sort of update last night as it was waiting the log-in password this morning. So far everything seems fine.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
I am back up and running here...but on a new 500gb drive :oops:

I was not able to rebuild the registry enough to get XP to boot in any fashion. I attempted a rollback to a better time and place :lol:
but my software wouldn't detect a Windows installation.... so I slaved the old drive and booted into it with software and recovered as much of my data as possible and done a clean install on the new drive. NO MORE updates for me unless they are a life and death requirement..and then I'll debate it :grin:    I remember reading somewhere about a M$ update in disguise that was actually a virus..can't remember where I read it but since this one came through as a normal update I considered it safe!...Guess Not!

I really did hate loosing my ETA program for GR3 :sad:   Anybody have a copy they wouldn't mind sharing ;)

Thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions!!! All was greatly appreciated!!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »
When I get the new box up and running I putting Ghost on it with incremental to an external. That way I boot up on a Ghost restore CD and it reloads the image like nothing ever happened with only a slight loss of data. Small sacrifice.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »
Most definitely..already running with that and Cobian as a back up on the weather station side of things. Thankfully I was able to recover most all the important data..

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

anything