YES I turn off computer
NO I don't turn off computer
If yes do you unplug computer and Monitor and what ever else
If you unplug computer do you also unplug your refrigerator
Are you using an old computer for you weather station
Did you buy a new computer to run your weather computer
If NO do you sit at the computer enjoying  your weather station
I'm really don't like storms and kill power to the whole house

Author Topic: Lighting Storms weather station Question  (Read 8952 times)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Lighting Storms weather station Question
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:18:52 PM »
Just like to see what you all do during a lighting storm, me the only thing I unplug is the toaster I just hate it when lighting is flying around the kitchen  ;)  I never have turned of my weather computer, this computer I'm writing on I'll turn off if it goes on the battery then use laptop to read this forum the battery backup on this computer also runs the router and cable modem and I don't want those to go down as the webs site won't get updated. Plus now I have the lighting detection thing going on and hate to miss a strike..
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
Re: Lighting Storms weather station Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
If i turned off the computer so will i not be able to see where the lightning storms are headed.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
   I don't unplug my computers during storms. Never had a strike here in 50 years so...(knock on wood 8-[) I don't have a website to worry about but I do want to keep an eye on my GRLevel3 radar plus a few other sites that have lightning data and I keep an eye on my station.  :roll: ;)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »
Our electric utility installed a surge protector on the meter that's supposed to protect "white" appliances (fridge, washer, dryer, etc.).  I also have a power strip that is supposed to have a surge protector in it for the power and the phone line (I still use dialup).

My weather stations are wireless so that's not an issue.  If they fry, they fry, it won't come into the house that way.

Old dell desktop with dialup modem keeps thunking along.  No need to change until it conks out, I suppose.

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 04:09:58 PM »
I dont do anything but watch the storms on nexstorm and gr3 when I am at home.  Quite a few hit when I am at work anyway...
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »
My weather stations are wireless so that's not an issue.
Greg

If there is a lightning strike real close so dose it not matter that your weather station is wireless the electrical discharge can fry it.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »
My weather stations are wireless so that's not an issue.
Greg

If there is a lightning strike real close [it won't] matter that your weather station is wireless the electrical discharge can fry it.

True, but at least the lightning itself won't cause damage inside the house unless the station is wired and picking up potential differences in charge along the ground.  

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »
If there is a lightning strike real close [it won't] matter that your weather station is wireless the electrical discharge can fry it.

ok, just complain about my poor English  :lol:
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »
Whom should I send my complaints to?  :oops:

Your English is a lot better than my Swedish.

EDIT:  Whom, not who.  I'm surprised Chris didn't find that first.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:54:56 PM by kray1000 »

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 06:29:58 PM »
Who should I send my complaints to?  :oops:

Your English is a lot better than my Swedish.

you are learning as long as you live  \:D/
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden

Online LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »
All computers except weather computer which I run on battery power during the storm, that leaves only the cable from the weather console hooked into it (using wifi), all antennas get unhooked and grounded, power supplies turned off, other computers in the house turned off. A number of years ago I didnt turn things off for one storm #-o and a nearby hit locked up computer and tripped the breaker in a 12 volt power supply, this shows every storm needs to be taken seriously. ;)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
All computers except weather computer which I run on battery power during the storm, that leaves only the cable from the weather console hooked into it (using wifi), all antennas get unhooked and grounded, power supplies turned off, other computers in the house turned off. A number of years ago I didnt turn things off for one storm #-o and a nearby hit locked up computer and tripped the breaker in a 12 volt power supply, this shows every storm needs to be taken seriously. ;)

Well LarsWX that is impressive, Ain't know way I'm going to drive home from work or get up at 3am and do all that I've got home owner insurance. I know I ask this in the pole and I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ but do you do this to all your electrical stuff in you place of dwellings?
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 08:45:27 PM »
No, I do not turn off the weather computers. That would defeat the purpose of a weather computer, now wouldn't it.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Online LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 08:58:02 PM »

Well LarsWX that is impressive, Ain't know way I'm going to drive home from work or get up at 3am and do all that I've got home owner insurance. I know I ask this in the pole and I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ but do you do this to all your electrical stuff in you place of dwellings?

If there is a chance of t-storms I unhook radio equipment before leaving the house, I only unhook radios and computers. I would rather not have to replace and setup new equipment if it can be avoided... even if its replaced for free.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the poll votes have any correlation to geographic location.  Some areas of the country if you unplugged things when there was a chance of storms you would have things unplugged for the better part of several months per year.

My weather computer runs no matter what until the power is off longer then 5 minutes.  I have it set to shutdown at that point to save battery power for running my DSL modem for use by my laptop.  I do tend to unplug the laptop and also my outside scanner antenna for NOAA rebroadcasts and go on inside antennas.  How much other stuff I unplug depends on if I'm home and what the storm looks like coming in.  With a super cell and near constant lightning I've pulled everything electronic and on occasion the laundry and dehumidifier as well.

I have seen a couple TVs doing service that were zapped even though they had them unplugged from both AC and antenna or cable.   Lightning directly struck the house and traveled through a wire, pipe, chimney, etc. inducing enough voltage to cause trouble.  Also degaussed plenty of the old CRTs over the years for the same reason.  We had one set that the colors kept going back off after we would degauss it.  Turned out the lightning had setup enough of a magnetic field on the wood stove and the metal flue pipe in the same room that it was causing color distortion on the TV similar to placing a large magnet next to it.

A lot people unplug AC from their TV and leave the Cable wire hooked up.  Not good.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:57:31 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:53 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the poll votes have any correlation to geographic location.  Some areas of the country if you unplugged things when there was a chance of storms you would have things unplugged for the better part of several months per year.

My weather computer runs no matter what until the power is off longer then 5 minutes.  I have it set to shutdown at that point to save battery power for running my DSL modem for use by my laptop.  I do tend to unplug the laptop and also my outside scanner antenna for NOAA rebroadcasts and go on inside antennas.  How much other stuff I unplug depends on if I'm home and what the storm looks like coming in.  With a super cell and near constant lightning I've pulled everything electronic and on occasion the laundry and dehumidifier as well.

I have seen a couple TVs doing service that were zapped even though they had them unplugged from both AC and antenna or cable.   Lightning directly struck the house and traveled through a wire, pipe, chimney, etc. inducing enough voltage to cause trouble.  Also degaussed plenty of the old CRTs over the years for the same reason.  We had one set that the colors kept going back off after we would degauss it.  Turned out the lightning had setup enough of a magnetic field on the wood stove and the metal flue pipe in the same room that it was causing color distortion on the TV similar to placing a large magnet next to it.

A lot people unplug AC from their TV and leave the Cable wire hooked up.  Not good.   ;)

Well as for unhooking the cable wire or phone wires that would have to be done out side the house or you would have to put each unhooked wire in a metal grounded container just leaving the wire on the floor is not a good idea. Also if you unhook the cable or phone you loose your modem so no internet.
 Come to think of it the cable company time warner when they ran the bigger wire back when I got broadband they removed the grounding block said they don't work any ways and would just make for a slower connection over time.

Follow me on twitter

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
....Well as for unhooking the cable wire or phone wires that would have to be done out side the house or you would have to put each unhooked wire in a metal grounded container just leaving the wire on the floor is not a good idea.

If you don't like scorch marks on your rug try the old time method of sticking the end of the cable into a glass mason jar.  Still better then scorch marks and a hole melted through the tuner in your TV.   :mrgreen:

Come to think of it the cable company time warner when they ran the bigger wire back when I got broadband they removed the grounding block said they don't work any ways and would just make for a slower connection over time.

#-o  That right there sounds like a violation of the National Electric Code.  That could also explain why I see as much or more damage coming through the tuner connections anymore then I see on the power supply side.  I would not unhook TW's company equipment though for any length of time.  They tend to get worried when their boxes stop talking back to them.  I've had customers do that while their TV was being repaired to save a few pennies of electric.  They had to call TW and have it reactivated once it was hooked back up.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »

Section 800.93 of the NEC says it must be grounded.  You should contact a supervisor at Time Warner,and/or your local electrical inspector
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:54:23 PM by tomcj2 »

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 12:24:27 AM »
I never shut off my computers, storms or not.
The only time they go off is if we have a blackout.
That has happened a few times, and being without internet is like going through withdrawls!  :lol:

I have surge protection on the main service to the house and it protects all the circuits.
I also have separate surge protection (redundant) at each receptacle that feeds appliances, electronics or sensitive equipment.

Never had a problem.  There have been plenty of surges/spikes and dirty power, as I monitor that too.
But all my equipment is fully protected.

And yes, why shut off the computer during a storm?  Can't watch what's happening or report to SKYWARN!  8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 02:54:04 AM »
I would not unhook TW's company equipment though for any length of time.  They tend to get worried when their boxes stop talking back to them.  I've had customers do that while their TV was being repaired to save a few pennies of electric.  They had to call TW and have it reactivated once it was hooked back up.

Cox Cable in Vegas was like that. I would go out of town for a week or two and power down everything, come back and have to deal with some kid reading off a diag flow chart for 10 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

With the storms out here, they can roll right over me with tons of lightning. I usually power off the roof mounted swamp cooler and the pool pump. The power rarely drops (anymore) for any extended amount of time so after buying a couple of those batt backups from Staples, my weather stays on and, if the cable stays on (usually does), so does the cable modem, router, etc.

I really enjoy watching all the numbers accumulate during rain events and watching the "heart of the beast" moving on the radar. It's too tough having a weather station and not being able to see it in action during a storm. That was one of the reasons why I bought it - to "watch" the storms. It's fun watching an inch of rain in 30 minutes and 5"/hr rain rates with 30+MPH winds so - on it all stays!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 08:17:10 AM »
No I do not turn off my computers when it storms. I'm monitoring the weather and logging weather data fpr peets sake. Turning off the computers would be pointless. All of my computers have a UPS on them, except for two. The batteries need replaced and it simply is not in the budget to do it.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Online LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 09:17:48 AM »
Its yours to leave plugged in during a t-storm, as I said in another thread dont rely on a ups for protection. This is from a site I found.

A surge suppressor (sometimes optimistically called a "surge protector") is a device inserted in the alternating current ( AC ) utility line and/or telephone line to prevent damage to electronic equipment from voltage "spikes" called transients. A more accurate term for this type of device is "transient suppressor." A typical surge suppressor is a small box with several utility outlets, a power switch, and a 3-wire cord for plugging into a wall outlet.

In most countries where electronic equipment is used, the effective AC utility voltage is 110 to 120 volts; the peak voltage is on the order of plus-or-minus 160 to 170 volts at a frequency of 60 hertz . But transients, which arise from various causes, commonly reach peak levels of several hundred volts. These pulses are of short duration, measured in microseconds (units of 10 -6 second), but in that time, they can cause hardware to malfunction. The worst type of transient occurs when lightning strikes in the vicinity (it is not necessary for a power line to be directly hit). Such a "spike" can peak at thousands of volts and cause permanent damage to equipment.

A surge suppressor prevents the peak AC voltage from going above a certain threshold such as plus-or-minus 200 volts. Semiconductor devices are used for this purpose. The power line is effectively short-circuited to electrical ground for transient pulses exceeding the threshold, while the flow of normal 60-Hz current is unaffected. For the suppressor to work, a 3-wire AC power connection must be used. "Cheater" adapters, which allow 3-wire appliances to be used with 2-wire outlets or extension cords, defeat the electrical ground connection and render most surge suppressors ineffective.

Surge suppressors should be used as a matter of habit with all semiconductor-based electronic and computer hardware, including peripherals such as printers, monitors, external disk drives, and modem s. But the suppressor should not be relied upon to provide protection against lightning-induced transients. The safest procedure, inconvenient though it be, is to ensure that all susceptible hardware is plugged into the suppressor box, and to unplug the suppressor's main power cord when the equipment is not in use if you live in a thunderstorm-prone area.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
I never shut off my computers, storms or not.
The only time they go off is if we have a blackout.
That has happened a few times, and being without internet is like going through withdrawls!  :lol:

That's what the generator is used for.  ;)

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 11:00:31 AM »
Surge suppressors are a very important appliance these days when it comes to expensive equipment. Before you buy you should consider some basic info. I have had a lot of friends who have lost expensive equipment to surges. When I hear "but I had it on a surge suppress" I have to ask where it was bought and many times the reply is something like "Walgreens" or something like that. A power strip may say surge suppressor on it but at $19.95 you are not going to get the protection that you need. First to consider is if it has a UL 1449 rating. That means it has been tested by United Labs and certified. Next the amount of energy in Joules that it can handle is important. A 1000 or more joules is best. Response time is another consideration as in the faster the better. Ratings in nanoseconds is best and the lower number the better. Finally, the type of component used is important. If it is a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) you will want to avoid it. MOV's are cheap and degrade over time to the point of not providing any protection and respond too slowly in many cases. Gas Discharge Tube styles can handle alot more current but they too degrade over time. Selenium Diode suppressors do not degrade like MOV's but do not respond as fast. Zener Avalanche Diodes are more expensive but provide the best all round protection without degrading. Buying from specific brands like APC, Belkin, or Tripplite can insure that you are getting quality. One thing to make sure before plugging in the suppressor is that it is being plugged into a grounded outlet and not a 2 prong adapter. One of the afore mentioned friends did have a decent surge suppressor and had his computer damaged so I went over to look at it and when I saw the orange colored 2 prong that the suppressor was plugged into the wall with, I wished him good luck and told him to go buy an entirely new computer. Oh and he didnt get a dime out of the insurance company.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 11:17:59 AM »
One thing to make sure before plugging in the suppressor is that it is being plugged into a grounded outlet and not a 2 prong adapter.

Pliers can eliminate the need for the orange 3-to-2 adapter.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything