Author Topic: High humidity, should I buy a dehumidifier?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline phobos

High humidity, should I buy a dehumidifier?
« on: September 10, 2022, 08:49:37 PM »
I have been testing with the Temtop LKC-1000S+ and looks like I have around 55-60% humidity. Im not surprised, my bedroom is next to the bathroom, and next to the laundry place, it has really shitty ventilation. This may explain my sinus isues, and there's also these annoying silver insects which are really fast. I may solve this with a dehumidifier? Which one should I buy? I remember reading how unless you invest on a high end one, don't bother since they aren't powerful enough or something. It is a small flat tho, but given the high humidity, I guess it's going to pick up a lot of water. And there's also mold buildup easily on the bathroom on the shower area.

Another concern would be that the stored water becomes a place for mold and stuff to be stored. So I would need to know what to buy, something high quality, where they considered all possible problems and are solved with some good engineering. Also any tips of experienced dehumidifier users are welcome.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 08:51:14 PM by phobos »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: High humidity, should I buy a dehumidifier?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 10:53:35 PM »
Dehumidifiers use a lot of electricity, even the efficient ones. To dehumidify my 2,000 square foot basement from 65% to 50% costs me $30 per month at 12.4cents per kwh. My unit is a HomeLabs product—in the U.S., it has been designated as an “Energy Star” model. Make sure you can afford a dehumidifier and really need one before buying one.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:04:16 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline phobos

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 09:56:20 AM »
Dehumidifiers use a lot of electricity, even the efficient ones. To dehumidify my 2,000 square foot basement from 65% to 50% costs me $30 per month at 12.4cents per kwh. My unit is a HomeLabs product—in the U.S., it has been designated as an “Energy Star” model. Make sure you can afford a dehumidifier and really need one before buying one.

How do I know if I need one? I already described the problem. 55% to 60% or at least that's what the Temptop says. Temps are around 27-30 but it feels way higher. I live near the sea. There's also the silver insects in this flat so this points to humidity. Shower curtains have mold easily, it builds up and i have to clean every time. My bedroom is next to the bathroom and has no exterior window, it faces a laundry. The sinus problems, I want to rule out if it's due high humidity.

So given this, wouldn't I benefit from lowering humidity to 40%? It's a small 3x3 bedroom. I can afford 30$ a month if it improves health.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 10:14:25 AM »
I take it you have no central air conditioning.
Also is this an apartment. If so do other tenants have the same issue.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »
Since you live in Spain, I would ask your neighbors. 60% inside is too high for most people and would likely result in mold. A dehumidifier works but it heats the surrounding area if that is ok for you. If you live in an apartment, an air conditioner is likely a better solution for you—but like I said before, ask your neighbors what they do.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 10:28:13 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline phobos

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 11:15:37 AM »
I take it you have no central air conditioning.
Also is this an apartment. If so do other tenants have the same issue.

I have an air conditioner but it's old and needs maintainance, I haven't used it once this year. I don't like it tbh, the air feels too cold and dry, im ok with a fan. Maybe except the peak week of heat wave I would have used it but the rest of the summer I woudln't. The thing is, I need to lower the humidity. I don't know what other neighbours do. Why would that matter? I just want to solve my stuff, I will be moving in a year or so anyway. But I want t be able to control the humidity of my bedroom at will at least, so I can adjust it at any time.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »
The neighbors comment was concerning your bug problem. I'm guessing the landlord would be somewhat responsible for that.
I have never used a DH but just look online for something. Use the review process to find something of good quality. The specs of the unit would determine was size to get in relation to the square footage of your bedroom.
As for your AC couldn't you turn the setting to a warmer position. It will still de humidify the air but also not keep it as cold.
Good luck with your search.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 11:59:19 AM by ocala »

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 01:03:00 PM »
I use a dehumidifier in my basement to help keep the humidity low enough to eliminate the "musty" basement smell in the summer. It costs about the same to run as a small window AC and it is effective at controlling humidity. Unless you can rig up a drain hose, you do have to empty it quite frequently.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223