Author Topic: Is there a way to use a RM Young Anemometer without Davis 6336  (Read 1345 times)

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
Is there a way to use a RM Young Anemometer without Davis 6336
« on: October 13, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
I am looking at anemometer options for VP2 and read that with the Davis 6336 which is discontinued :( there is option to use RM Young.

With the 6336 discontinued is there a way to do this, or do I need to watch for and hope a 6336 becomes available at some point?

Thanks
  Frank

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Is there a way to use a RM Young Anemometer without Davis 6336
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 08:18:51 PM »
Going to be hard pressed to find a 6336

Following link has some discussion re an RM Young interface board.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42145.msg431103#msg431103

Other than that then there are quite a few Davis compatible Ultrasonic options out there now including Davis's own Ultrasonic

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 03:10:59 AM »
Other than that then there are quite a few Davis compatible Ultrasonic options out there now including Davis's own Ultrasonic

As an aside (I can see the OP is really asking about RM Young), the Davis ultrasonic is actually the French LCJ Davis-compatible one (slightly modified at Davis's request AIUI, simply for easier maintenance, ie battery replacement). We've had the LCJ ultrasonic one available for purchase for some time, eg 5 years IIRC so there is some decent experience with it.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 03:25:58 AM »
That's the thing with no convenient interface availability for the RM Young it tends to make it not a viable option anymore hence the suggestion to maybe look to Ultrasonic, it's not the cheapest option but there is certainly several to check out besides the Davis version which does have some limitations depending on the installation.   

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
Thanks guys. Can you send some info on the alternate options to the Davis ultrasonic one?

I live in NY, and am thinking about ultrasonic in the future to help catch some low wind and to compare to the Davis 6410 cups anemometer for curiosity.

Mention NY as for few months cold and snow may need to be considered in what one to get, but as I said would be 2ndary to the Davis 6410 cups anemometer.

Thanks as look to learn more about ultrasonic options
Frank

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 07:40:29 PM »
Have tried the following VP2 compatible ultrasonic, Darrera is not a cheap option, Hongyuv has a better power supply arrangement

http://www.hongyuv.com/en/product/Davis-VP2-ultrasonic-wind-sensor-44.mhtml

https://www.darrera.com/wp/en/product/3r-uav01-ultrasonic-anemometer-vantage-pro2/

Calypso Instruments make one but untried. One issue I have with the Davis 6415 is the "in-built factory batteries"

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 08:16:38 AM »
Thanks guys. Can you send some info on the alternate options to the Davis ultrasonic one?

I live in NY, and am thinking about ultrasonic in the future to help catch some low wind and to compare to the Davis 6410 cups anemometer for curiosity.

Mention NY as for few months cold and snow may need to be considered in what one to get, but as I said would be 2ndary to the Davis 6410 cups anemometer.

Thanks as look to learn more about ultrasonic options
Frank

I am running the Davis ultrasonic mounted on the ground tripod that holds the ISS. I wanted to see the correlation of rain vs. wind speed and direction.

Here is a link to my page, scroll down a bit for the ultrasonic. I have some comparison charts as well.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 09:11:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing the comparisons.
Looks like close correlation of data, with sonic a bit more responsive at low speeds.

How does the sonic one do in the cold/winter as see you are in Michigan?

Thanks
Frank

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 04:20:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing the comparisons.
Looks like close correlation of data, with sonic a bit more responsive at low speeds.

How does the sonic one do in the cold/winter as see you are in Michigan?

Thanks
Frank

Last winter it ran without any problems.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 07:55:19 PM »
Couple of questions re Davis 6415.
How long is the rod between the mounting base and sensor?
Ask because wondering if enough space between to mount my current 6410 anemometer on there too.

Looking at 6415 to supplement when very low wind of 1 mph doesn't spin cups.

How often does battery need to be replaced as will be undertaking up on roof?

Offline weathermansam

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 04:32:08 PM »
Hey there, I'm brand new to this forum and looking for some answers and help with my Davis/RM Young set up.

I recently purchased a Young Alpine model off eBay and wired it into the Davis VP2 ISS. I had an old RJ11 cable sitting around and cut off one end and spliced the four wires connecting to the RM Young.

I can get wind direction, but speed is at zero. I have it wired as follows:

Legend:
Davis wiring scheme -----------> RM Young wiring scheme

Yellow (wind dir. excitation voltage) ---> WDIR EXC
Red (ground/common ref) ---> WDIR REF
Green (wind dir. signal) ---> WDIR SIG
Black (wind speed signal) ---> WSPD SIG

I've tried jumping and rewiring to different terminals and still cannot get wind speed, but direction is working fine and looks okay compared to my other weather stations.

I think the problem might be in the calibration end of the console, and I cannot set the wind cup size to 'OTHER' like it says in the Davis 6336 manual. Another thought is the Davis anemometer is wired differently than the RM Young, so it might not be compatible without the Universal Anemometer Interface. And another problem could be that I am unable to 'Shunt' pins P1 and P2 as it says in the 6336 manual, which could be why the speed is at 0.

Any one have thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Sam

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 11:44:45 AM »
Sorry to perhaps not get the gist of your question.

I have several RM Young units and they either send down 3 AC pulses per propeller revolution or a current loop 4-20 ma depending upon wind speed, or a voltage (0-1 or 0-5 volts).

It is my understanding that the Davis system also uses pulses to indicate rotation of the wind cups, but more of a make/break square wave type of signal, and not a sine wave from the induced current in the coil was the Young propeller spins.

The conversion unit 6336 you mention I gather is now discontinued, but Miraculon has a unit in operation, and reportedly happily so, for many years.  It also takes a company called NRS or some such, and converts it too.

There is no current option that I"m aware of to do that, so I think you'll need to do a bit of hardware or Rasp Pi work to take the variable voltage pulses, coming from the Young, and do some sort of detection that a pulse has occurred, and not being an analogue guy, I can't tell you what for sure to look for, but it will be 3 pulses per revolution.  RM Young data sheets tell you a formula for converting revolutions per mph or knots or meters/second.  Then  you'd need to see what voltage levels and transition types that your Davis expects.  I assume it was like the output from a Hall device, which I'd think, note my previous analogue inexperience, would be easily enough to produce with a transistor and pull up/down resistor.  A friend of mine who lives, breaths and sleeps with this said it should be easier to do than I think, but over coffee he sketching something literally on a napkin and then never gave it to me, and i failed to follow up to have him do a bit more robust pattern for me.

If I vaguely recall there was a subject line somewhere that a fellow was trying to develop such a thing, and vaguely recall some DIP type of units of old op amps and then squaring circuit, and then voltage conversion, but can't find those old notes.  As an aside, there was also a bit a few years ago about making something like a Davis head send info to older Heathkit ID-4001 and 5001 units, so there are clever people out there.

I wish I could provide more direct links, but maybe my bad cold induced ramblings will have other members recall some details or have tags on where to look for this.

I, like you, would like to have some sort of conversion board and the smarts to make it work well without false signals triggering it (try sending 20 word per minute CW ham Morse Code to see if it causes and error...)
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 06:33:59 PM »
The following thread should give give some further outline to this issue and why perhaps the decision to not go ahead was taken?

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42145.msg431103#msg431103

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 08:21:07 AM »
An amazing read to follow how the development, testing and corrections that went on with what seems to be a 'simple' process.. 

Thanks for the link.  I hoped someone out there would have recalled this project and had been able to share the info.

What a group.  What a hobby!  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php