Author Topic: WeatherLink.com - Added Device Basic Plan  (Read 641 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
WeatherLink.com - Added Device Basic Plan
« on: August 23, 2021, 06:02:44 AM »
The WeatherLink.com basic plan does not provide Historical data but does the Basic $0/mo plan provide any data storage/download at all at least within the capacity of the standard logger capacity?

If not then the Basic $0/mo plan with a USB/serial logger only provides an upload Bulletin/Summary/Current capacity? 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WeatherLink.com - Added Device Basic Plan
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 06:43:30 AM »
It depends on what your upload device is. There are 2 scenarios:

1. If your device exclusively uses the v2 API then there's no historical data available for free. This category includes devices like WLL and EM gateways.

2. If it's a legacy upload device like WLIP or Weatherlink for Windows software with a data feed via eg a USB logger (or something like WFL that emulates these) then AFAIK free historical data IS still available via the Web Download (v1 API) mechanism. This used to be limited to the storage of 4x the standard logger capacity, ie 10,240 records but whether Davis have reduced this I haven't checked recently.

I've got a summary of the available v1 API download mechanisms online at https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/wl-com-2-0-data-handling. But if Web Download serves your purpose then that's possibly all you need.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:46:40 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 07:06:06 PM »
Thanks John, That confirms my thinking, I just couldn't get a USB registered DID & Key to respond and since I have stayed well away from USB (running all WLIP) I was lost.

In applying WLIP thinking to a USB registration data download now appears fine? So in registering a USB logger the provided Key (similar to the printed Key on a WLIP) isn't used other than for API calls? Is that your understanding? The Web Download Password is the WeatherLink.com V2 password in association with the logger DID?   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 03:55:39 AM »
Thanks John, That confirms my thinking, I just couldn't get a USB registered DID & Key to respond and since I have stayed well away from USB (running all WLIP) I was lost.

There seem to be many (thousands?) of users of wl.com successfully uploading data via the Weatherlink software and virtual DID/key route, so any difficulties you might previously have experienced must have been a transient glitch or typo etc.

In applying WLIP thinking to a USB registration data download now appears fine? So in registering a USB logger the provided Key (similar to the printed Key on a WLIP) isn't used other than for API calls? Is that your understanding? The Web Download Password is the WeatherLink.com V2 password in association with the logger DID?

Yes, that's essentially correct. It should be easy to do but, as ever, you need to follow the right steps. Again, I've got some instructions online under the 'Problems configuring uploads from Weatherlink for Windows to weatherlink.com' section at https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/troubleshooting .

Note that this keycode is a legacy item similar to that for WLIP and only used to set up the configuration in WLfW for uploading data to wl.com. Don't confuse this simple legacy keycode with either the API Token v1 (unlikely - it's obviously got a different name) or API Key v2 (easier to do), which you will find on your wl.com account page. These API Keys are only used if you want to do your own custom data downloads from wl.com (but I'm not sure why you would use the v1 API these days rather than the much more capable v2). You do not need to worry about the API keys etc if you're only using the Web Download mechanism in WLfW.

Hopefully that makes sense - what can be confusing are the major changes in API that were made with the v2 API mostly to allow all the extra features possible with WLL and EM stations to be accessed via a single (v2) API. But the legacy v1 methods mostly still continue to work fine and AFAIK there's no intention whatsoever to turn them off.

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything