Author Topic: Makers of professional quality instruments  (Read 1543 times)

Offline gustnado

Makers of professional quality instruments
« on: July 26, 2021, 07:35:05 AM »
Is there a definitive source/thread for those seeking info on real pro quality instruments and what one needs to spend as a minimum for a general purpose station ?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Makers of professional quality instruments
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 08:32:08 AM »
No there isn't such a thread. Just tell us what you plan on using your station for and the recommendations will follow. Also let us know your budget.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gustnado

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 09:35:32 AM »
Thank you for your reply and perhaps this can become the thread.

The station is a retirement gift for my brother and business partner and will be a 'home' station in an area which can see very low temps,believe the record to be -32*F, during the winter though that is rare.

Don't think I need a small Doppler-kidding- but I would like to get something exceptional;  budget is whatever it takes-ultrasonic wind/ what kind of rain device, dew point, lightning strike - stuff like this is what I would like to get info and advice on.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
Davis is good quality and generally meets weather enthusiasts interest as well as professional and agricultural needs.  Downside for many enthusiasts is the display (console) appearance Weather Stations — Davis Instruments

Other high end stations are the Rainwise.

Both are available from Scaled Instruments
Davis Instruments – Scaled Instruments
Complete Weather Station – Scaled Instruments

Ask away...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 11:25:46 AM »
Based on the fact that the planned use is for personal use with an interest in semi-professional quality equipment I feel that the Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus would be the best fit. The benefit of a Davis system is quality equipment with a strong user base of which you can tap online forums such as this as a resource. The Davis station is also vastly expandable and makes getting at the data simple. Since it seems you aren't limited on a budget and are looking for the best I've maxed the VP2 model options with the following recommendations:

Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24hr FARS:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/shop-by-category/complete-weather-stations-shop-by-product/davis-6163-wireless-vantage-pro2-plus-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 (to get your data online and for software expandability):
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/shop-by-category/data-loggers/davis-6100-weatherlink-live/

Extra wireless transmitter if your mounting solution requires separation of anemometer and ISS base:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/special-purpose-stations/davis-6332-solar-powered-wireless-sensor-transmitter/

Davis Ultrasonic anemometer upgrade (since you brought it up) - which is a mixed bag and a worthy discussion on its merits:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/shop-by-category/anemometer/davis-6415-coming-soon-sonic-anemometer/

Davis Airlink air quality sensor - might be of interest to expand station capability:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/shop-by-category/air-quality/preorder-davis-7210-airlink-professional-air-quality-sensor/

Raspberry Pi kit to run optional 3rd party software (purely an extra feature - not required). Software like; Cumulus MX, Meteobridge (requires different SD card of SLC type), Weather-Display, or WeeWX:
https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Starter-PRO-Kit/dp/B08QQ5KY1J/

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:58:40 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 11:42:01 AM »
I would politely differ with those calling Davis equipment 'professional grade' with no AWOS or other stations running them.

I have seen Davis stations with some add ons running at state parks and at observatories, but for university or high quality stuff, you'll need to select Vaisala, Campbell Scientific or RM Young or a few of the other types.

That being said, they don't have much for plug and play.  They  general idea is you have an employed engineer or grad student doing the install and upkeep, as best I can read it.

But, as mentioned here, there are a LOT of Davis installations.  With that comes relative affordability, and some very dedicated users who have run many side-by-side comparisons with rain measurement, temperature accuracy, and FARS for temperature and humidity measurement.

As far as price is concerned, getting a Davis system up and running is likely to be less than $1200, while one of the sensors for the above mentioned professional/research grade will cost that or more.  Plus the Davis will be sending you data before you get down off the ladder/roof/tower while the design, integration and a wee bit of calibration for the other units will take time (albeit with the result of you knowing the system and the programming really well.)

The closest to a turn key system would be a Vaisala WXT530 but still requiring some component integration to get it displaying.   A couple years ago I communicated with a fortunate gentleman who had a full boat RM Young system with a 28600 display, a repeater display and their all-in-one sensor package and I tallied it up in my head to be north of $6000 in that system.  The drawback to ANY ultrasonic system is freezing rain and snow.  I've had one taken out of service, even with the heaters running, for three days.

Have fun.  It is great that there are so many choices and the embarrassment of riches we have right now.  Too bad Texas Instruments went out of business.  Rainwise has a good choice too and is relatively turnkey.  I'd put Texas Instruments up against most of the pro grade stuff as far as accuracy and consistency.  Rainwise can  loose a sensor such as temp/humidity pretty easily in my experience. 

Let us know what you finally select.  Each person has different needs and a different wallet!
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline zazzy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 08:46:19 AM »
Davis is good quality...
I would politely differ with those calling Davis equipment 'professional grade' with no AWOS or other stations running them.

From personal experience and for the amount of money and time I've spent, I would call the Davis equipment junk. In my opinion, it's a professional grade rip-off.

My Vantage Pro2 is less than 3 years old. New and out of the box, the anemometer didn't work and I've had 3 different anemometers since then. Earlier this year, I had to buy and replace the control board and now the rain gauge isn't working. Their tech support is practically non-existent and it typically takes weeks before any hardware problem is diagnosed and fixed.

I've been patient with them over the last 3 years but not anymore.

Offline gustnado

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »
Appreciate very much the replies.

I did consider Davis and RainWise, leaned towards RainWise until I learned of the relocation from Maine to PA (?) besides having to discover the reason/impact of the move I decided that I wanted to spend more in the hopes of getting a 'true' pro quality station as a gift so I'll be looking into the other brands mentioned.

Do I understand that with greatly increased cost comes greatly increased complexity in set up and use ?

Again, tnks all and please keep the info coming.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »

Do I understand that with greatly increased cost comes greatly increased complexity in set up and use ?
I don't have any experience with other than Davis and Fine Offset (Ecowitt). 
The actual Davis station setup is relative easy.  Minor assembly and then your choice of where and how to mount using included U bolts.
If using a console then some basic instructions to install batteries and setup.
If using Weatherlink Live then some knowledge of setting up an APP on your phone and going through the few settings.  I believe the Weatherlink.com account setup is part of the APP setup and WiFi connection.

The use complexity will depend on what you wish to see and use - Weatherlink Live device to Weatherlink.com Pro will give you all the sensor data and charts on either your computer browser or your phone App without anything further to do.  Off course if you want extras like Davis AirLink air quality device then those will need to be added in a similar App method.

Re Davis quality, I am sure there have been many good and bad experiences with weather stations, including Davis.  In my case I got my Davis VP2 in June 2008, and replaced the outside ISS in 2018 because I wanted to add UV, Solar, and 24 Hour FARS,  No repairs of any type needed in that 10 years, but perhaps the humidity sensor was not 100% and occasional loss of wind speed in that 10th year, and was still running.
If Nik Wallenda can trust his life on a VP2, I am convinced! See the Davis VP2 hanging on the wire at the 34 second time Nik Wallenda completes Niagara Falls wire walk | CBC News

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »

I would say that with increased cost, that greater than Davis means that you are stepping into a different world in many regards. There will be a lack of community support to draw from. Sure you may have excellent company support and that may be all you need but when things go wrong or a bit off and you start to wonder if others are experiencing the same quirks then you won't have much community to draw from. Also the 3rd party software compatibility becomes either non-existent or limited. This limits what you can do with your data and your overall enjoyment of your station.

I think it is also important to understand and really know whom you are gifting it to. What kind of experience are they looking for? What is their expertise?

If someone gifted me an AWOS station I don't think I'd get much enjoyment. What is better?... a million dollar super car that can't go on all roads and has high maintenance costs, or something you can daily drive that is still a pinnacle of engineering?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:26:43 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline gustnado

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »
How about Columbia Weather Systems in general and the Pulsar in particular?

Greg_M

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
I am happy with the Davis VP2 that I bought from Scaled Instruments.
Also have bought upgrades and repair parts from them. Nice guy with quick shipping and quick response.

http://www.datilcam.com/weather/