Author Topic: Stay with AcuRite or go with something else?  (Read 952 times)

Offline whjoyjr

Stay with AcuRite or go with something else?
« on: July 06, 2021, 04:04:22 PM »
Sorry 1st topic is a complaint thread of sorts.

I have an AcuRite 5-in-1 system that has stopped responding (Purchased in June 2016).  Symptoms were increasingly rapid battery discharge.  I purchased the replacement bridge after AcuRite terminated support for their legacy bridge (still bitter about that).  The sensor fails to recover after battery replacement now.

So I am trying to decide if I will keep with AcuRite and order the most recent sensor (Atlas) or ditch it and get a Davis / Ambient / Tempest.

Requirements / Desires:

• Tempature
  • Humidity
  • Pressure
  • Wind Speed / Direction
  • Rainfall
  • Inside Display
  • Lightning Detection
  • UV
  • Reporting to WU
  • App access for off-site access
  • Budget ~ $300US
  • HomeKit integration is a plus
  • All-in-One sensor pod (AcuRite solution elevating Wind Speed sensor is ok)

No dedicated display elements the Tempest (unless I dedicate a Tablet as an always on display).  For WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) she desires a free-standing display she can look at and not have to rely on her laptop / tablet / smartphone to see what the local conditions are.  I also prefer that.  The Davis 6250 Vantage Due display is not acceptable.

I guess I should be happy for 4.5 years from my AcuRite given some of the comments I have read on Amazon and taking a quick scan of WXForum.

I have been reading the forum, but did not see an existing thread that covers all of my variables.

Thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 04:10:04 PM by whjoyjr »

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Stay with AcuRite or go with something else?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 04:18:53 PM »
With your requirements and budget, something from Fine Offset (Ambient, Ecowitt, etc) is going to be your best bet.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 04:38:00 PM »
Sorry 1st topic is a complaint thread of sorts.

I have an AcuRite 5-in-1 system that has stopped responding (Purchased in June 2016).  Symptoms were increasingly rapid battery discharge.  I purchased the replacement bridge after AcuRite terminated support for their legacy bridge (still bitter about that).  The sensor fails to recover after battery replacement now.

So I am trying to decide if I will keep with AcuRite and order the most recent sensor (Atlas) or ditch it and get a Davis / Ambient / Tempest.

I can relate. I have a 5 in 1 that I put in service in January of 2016 but so far it's still working fine. I bought mine at Costco ($60 on sale at Christmas) a year later they ran the same sale so I bought another one. I wanted a second display and the Costco deal was $10 cheaper than a display alone from Acurite.

Like you I'm still bitter about having to replace my bridge with the new access. I wonder how much business they lost because of that?

All that said I've been reasonably happy with the 5in1. I have a spare 5in1 unit so hopefully I have a few more years. I've also added a bunch of other sensors around the house to monitor temperatures and water in the basement.

Anyway here are my thoughts on your situation.
I'm not a big fan of the Atlas so I wouldn't consider it. One reason is I have 2 5in1 displays that would be orphaned. 
I like the Ambient (or some other clone) so I would definitely consider that.
I would also consider replacing the 5in1 with another one. The bonus is you'll get a second compatible display.

I'll be curious what others have to say. I know Davis has a lot of fans but I'm not found of their displays. Like you my wife likes the local display.

Offline CSB

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 09:19:57 PM »
Save you $$$$ until you can get a Davis.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 04:55:46 PM »
Have had a vantage vue, still do, took it down in favor or a more modern station. Hate Davis, they maybe the most reliable and long lasting, but at a price, stuck in the 1980's, little progression and paying big money for old techologu. Thr Consoles are Patric these days.