Author Topic: Serial Port Splitters  (Read 7279 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Serial Port Splitters
« on: May 15, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
Anyone had any experience with a serial port replicator/splitter working on a non Davis station?
I have tried several with my OS 968 system here and gotten varied results. The best so far is that the software sees the replicator ( COM Port OK) and the replicator sees the software( changes state from ready to OK ) but with all this there is no data transfer between the ports and the software. GPS Gate by Franz seems to have a good reputation but I'd like to know for certain it would work before purchase.

Basically a product that works as Virtual VP does with the Davis system is what is needed.

Thanks for any ideas!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Serial Port Splitters
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:47:09 PM »
try a Y splitter (hardware not software)
that should work with the WMR968 station (that just sends data)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »
This one works i have used it. Its kinda pricey. You can use it for 30 days free if you want to try it.

http://www.fabulatech.com/serial-port-splitter.html

That is the one I just installed. My VWS gets data just fine but WD, Cumulus, WUHU or anything else I have seems to get anything. WD shows COM Port OK but it has been running for several minutes and has yet to scrounge a byte of data from the 968. It's got to be something I am missing :) I have shared COM3 which is what I am running from. Just remembered the COM 3 is a USB adapter so that may be where the problem lies. When I pressed this machine into service I had a time getting the serial ports to work so I just used the adapter I had.

May be the culprit..you think ?

Thanks for the reply!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:00:28 PM »
try a Y splitter (hardware not software)
that should work with the WMR968 station (that just sends data)

Good idea!  I just need to get the serial ports working in the MB and see where it leads.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »
there are some free options. Google for com0com & hub4com, made by the same guy. I've bumped into some others too in the past but don't remember their names off the top of my head. Hub4com seemed good, which is why I remembered it.

Whether it works with your station depends on whether the station's serial protocol is send only or send and receive. If it is send only (the station just sends data at regular intervals without needing or expecting to receive commands from the connected program), then a simple software serial splitter (like gpsgate or hub4com) should work fine. If the station has a two way protocol, then you'll likely need some software to act as a broker/multiplexer, like what VirtualVP does for the Vantage Pro.

Steve
SoftWx

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:22:51 AM »
IIRC The 968 just transmits data at predetermined intervals the software doesn't request anything.
I did manage to get the serial ports working in the computer and it's now working off COM2 ( Has 2 and did work on 1 earlier)
I used the software and tried both splitting and sharing of COM2 to a Virtual Port of COM4 and no dice..
VWS will recognize the station on COM2 but WD gives a Bad Comport when set to either 2 or 4.

I will "think" on this awhile and try to come up with a logical answer for why I can't get it to play but in the meanwhile I am open to any suggestions and/or tips :lol:

Thanks

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »
If you are using a serial "Y" splitter. You should not need any other software. I would think one could put VWS on one computer and WD on the other. Or why not one the same computer and set VWS to COM 1 and WD to COM 2?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »
That may be the route I take in the end..I am working to have all products produced from the same machine if possible.
With things as they are here I don't get a lot of time to play with my ideas lately LOL!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 05:02:07 PM »
I some day also hope to have a large enough machine to handle all my weather needs.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »
Finally found a program that works as advertised for my situation anyway  :lol:

VSPE By Eterlogic works and is affordable as in freeware.

Thanks for all the ideas!
That got my thinking going in the right direction!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217