Author Topic: WIFI issues  (Read 493 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
WIFI issues
« on: January 01, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
Thought maybe someone might have an idea here.
Up till 7:30 this morning everything was fine. The internet went down for a couple minutes but came right back up. Thought everything was OK. Turns out my android phone and my daughters I phone couldn't connect via wifi even though it said we were connected. Every other wifi compatible device in the house is connecting fine. Even the wifi logger is jugging along. Way to go Wojtek! Numerous attempts to restart the modem haven't helped. Obviously have restarted the phones several times. Even deleted the 2.5 and 5.0ghz connections to the modem and re-installed them  with no luck. Checking the modems page it shows all the connected devices except the 2 phones. Even dragged out a couple old phones and they connected fine. No new apps were downloaded this morning. One strange thing after the outage was that my ethernet connection no longer worked.  I only have it connected to my PC but there is no interent at all. Now using wifi on that.
I'm at a loss. Can't think of anything else to try.
Anyone.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WIFI issues
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »
Sounds like you are using the ISP modem as your WiFi router. A better networking experience can be had if you get your own decent WiFi router. There is much to gain, from features, security, performance, and ease of network management. But don't cheap out with cheap router. It doesn't need to be expensive. I like to recommend the Asus RT-AC68U as a medium priced and very capable router. Then you tell the ISP company to reconfigure your modem to just be a modem by having them put it in bridge mode which turns off its mediocre firewall and WiFi capabilities and becomes just a modem as you won't need that since you'll be sporting a new router.

As for your issue it does sound weird. I would power cycle the modem/router one more time. This time keep the power out for at least 30 seconds. Then power it back on. Wait about 3 minutes. Then attempt to reconnect devices. Telling devices to forget the WiFi password and rejoining is also a good idea. You should also power cycle these devices.

If all this doesn't help then call the ISP and have them factory reset the modem/router.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 04:34:13 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
Call your ISP.  They own the equipment and its network management.  Tell them the ethernet port isn't working and some devices can't connect via WiFi.

Don't buy anything unless you truly have a need/want. 

There's no sense in blindly making your network more complicated.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 06:32:21 PM by nincehelser »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »
Solved, thanks to my daughter diligence.
On the modem page under parental control is an option to pause a device on wifi. Somehow that option was enabled on my phone and my daughters. Have no idea how it happened or even that option was  available. Disabling that option brought back the wifi again. \:D/
The Ethernet still does not work. When plugged into my daughters lap top it works but not on my PC so I am guessing the port somehow got fried on the PC but wifi still works so it's not an issue. Still going to work on that Ethernet issue some more.

anything