Author Topic: Time for a New PC  (Read 5925 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Time for a New PC
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »
Oh and one last example, if you look at overall statistics, in some technological aspects Europe surpasses the US.
I remember when I was developing the plugin for country details for my template, I was surprised to find that here in the Czech Republic, we have twice as many smartphones per 100 people than in the US. Or the average internet connection speed is also higher.

This is not to say US sucks of course, just that you should not think we are like living in stone age LOL

Not at all. I have been in your country before when my employer was doing some business there. I think we were investing in the landline telephone company at the time or a startup cellular company--too many years ago (1993) to remember precisely.  I enjoyed it there but the folks I worked with at the Czech company were old school folks and they admitted that.

In any event, I always enjoy your posts in this Forum as they add substance, insight and where appropriate, humor!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »

I'm still using Win7-64 and won't upgrade to Win10 for many reasons :)

Same here, anyone I personally know who went 7 to 10 regrets it.
As far as 7 not being supported past 2020 I've never used windows support and rarely do patches.  By then its possible windows 10 will be more user friendly and give control back but somehow doubt it.
Its like big government trying to shove crap down my throat and getting into my business because they know best.  I refuse to play by these rules.

I was afraid to mention OS's since it deserves its own topic and its a hot issue.  However what I don't hear about Win10 is its basically a service.
To make money and not support and OS year after year they are trying to provide you a DESKTOP that you subscribe to.  However you are not fully in control since its a service, thats why they do automatic things in the background.  At some point you will be renting the desktop and they will sell or charge for more functionally.  This works for many but not my cup of tea.

I prefer to have an OS that I still have controls over vs Desktop as a service.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
Wow!

Did'nt know asking questions about a new build would stimulate so much enthusiasm!!! LOL

So, the build is done!!!!  \:D/

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit, 16GB Ram, i5 core, 500GB SSD and a 1TB platter for storage.

I am now in the process of trying to transfer all of my data and programs over.... This will take many, many hours. My site will be down until I can complete the process. Hope like heck it goes smooth.

Thanks to all for all of the constructive suggestions and support!!

Joe
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:01:36 PM by Jumpin Joe »
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »
Wow!

Did'nt know asking questions about a new build would stimulate so much enthusiasm!!! LOL

I am now in the process of trying to transfer all of my data and programs over.... This will take many, many hours. My site will be down until I can complete the process. Hope like heck it goes smooth.

Joe

What motherboard, CPU and GPU did you buy?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2016, 05:22:37 PM »
Oh and one last example, if you look at overall statistics, in some technological aspects Europe surpasses the US.
I remember when I was developing the plugin for country details for my template, I was surprised to find that here in the Czech Republic, we have twice as many smartphones per 100 people than in the US. Or the average internet connection speed is also higher.

This is not to say US sucks of course, just that you should not think we are like living in stone age LOL

Not at all. I have been in your country before when my employer was doing some business there. I think we were investing in the landline telephone company at the time or a startup cellular company--too many years ago (1993) to remember precisely.  I enjoyed it there but the folks I worked with at the Czech company were old school folks and they admitted that.

In any event, I always enjoy your posts in this Forum as they add substance, insight and where appropriate, humor!

nice :) Though if it was in 1993... then I completely understand you thought we are living in stone age... it changed a lot since then. But also, maybe you have read here when I wrote about the fact i dont have a smartphone, tablet, crapy laptop... but I should say this really doesnt mean these things are not available here. My sister for example has iPhone 6S, my best friend has Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge etc. I guess it is more or less the same in the entire Europe.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2016, 06:46:36 PM »
Wow!

Joe

What motherboard, CPU and GPU did you buy?

MB - Gigabyte Z170-HD3

CPU - core i5-6500 w/cooler

GPU - on board .... I'm not a gamer and it's a weather pc
WeatherLink Live

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2016, 06:53:09 PM »
i5-6500 is a very good choice, it has a very good value for money and definitely enough power

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »
i5-6500 is a very good choice, it has a very good value for money and definitely enough power

Thanks!  I thought so as well.
WeatherLink Live

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
I was supposed to have that processor in my office PC too. In the end I got an i3 instead because we had to cut the costs, but I really think that it offers the best value for money. With regards to my office PC, I basically had to make a choice - i5 + HDD or i3 + SSD. And I think in this particular scenario I made a good decision. You probably wont even use the i5 to its full potential, and it is the SSD that will make it miles faster than a normal PC. I always had and at home still have a normal HDD and once you get an SSD you will never want to go back to HDD. It is such a difference. At home my laptop takes about 2 minutes to boot to desktop and with XP it was even worse. In my office, my PC boots Windows 7 Pro in a few seconds.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2016, 08:05:24 PM »
Here is a comparison against my 3 YO processor. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/1537vs3513

Yes, it is better, but I also see double the price and I wonder how often you really use the CPU to its full potential and how much would that i5 with SSD slow you down ;)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2016, 08:07:53 PM »
i7s are especially good if you want to overclock it, but I spoke to many people working in IT and they told me that for a regular user i5 is absolutely sufficient. If you dont play the most recent games on full-details (in which case you would of course also need a good graphics card) or you process very large 3D renderings, then i5 will be sufficient for basically everything. There is a much bigger difference between i3 and i5 than i5 and i7. And even larger between i3 and M-series. i3s are absolutely sufficient for regular office work and talking from my own experience, sufficient even for some very large files in Excel and Photoshop, in my office I never feel limited by the CPU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »
Yeah that processor is no longer even made.
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »
I was supposed to have that processor in my office PC too. In the end I got an i3 instead because we had to cut the costs, but I really think that it offers the best value for money. With regards to my office PC, I basically had to make a choice - i5 + HDD or i3 + SSD. And I think in this particular scenario I made a good decision. You probably wont even use the i5 to its full potential, and it is the SSD that will make it miles faster than a normal PC. I always had and at home still have a normal HDD and once you get an SSD you will never want to go back to HDD. It is such a difference. At home my laptop takes about 2 minutes to boot to desktop and with XP it was even worse. In my office, my PC boots Windows 7 Pro in a few seconds.

I thought this was a weather forum! Seriously, some very good points have been made by us weather enthusiasts on computers!  Now another two cents worth by me. I believe the biggest bang for a person's buck isn't the CPU, GPU or RAM--it is whether the computer's operating system boots via a SSD! Clearly the most significant enhancement someone can make! I will never own another computer without a SSD that boots the OS. The speed, notably upon boot, is outstanding, and yet computer manufacturers (e.g., HP, Dell, etc.) still put very large HDDs (e.g., 3TB or larger) in basic machines that most people don't need or want when for nearly the same amount of money they can get a reasonably sized SSD! Thanks for listening, I will now get off my soap box!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:07:11 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2016, 11:52:50 PM »
Booting on an SSD is so much faster than a HDD. Both my motherboards in my PC's are Gigabyte Z77 chipsets. My main PC is overclocked to 4.1ghz. Good choice on parts Joe. 1151 socket?

Where did u get the parts? Newegg?  What kind of case?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:57:52 PM by cospringswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

anything