Author Topic: anemometer pole mount  (Read 3672 times)

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
anemometer pole mount
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:49:57 AM »
I have a new TelePole 30 foot flagpole to mount the Davis VP2 on. I'm keeping the ISS down around the 6 foot level, but wondering about the anemometer mounting. There is a 1/2 inch bolt at the top of the pole, but it seems to be in plastic which would not stand up well to the constant changes from the wind. I'm thinking that some clamps on the top of the pole would be a better mount, and actually let me attach a mast to achieve the ultimate 10 meter height for the sensor.

What have you done to mount your anemometer to the top of your pole?
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: anemometer pole mount
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08:40 AM »
I have a new TelePole 30 foot flagpole to mount the Davis VP2 on. I'm keeping the ISS down around the 6 foot level, but wondering about the anemometer mounting. There is a 1/2 inch bolt at the top of the pole, but it seems to be in plastic which would not stand up well to the constant changes from the wind. I'm thinking that some clamps on the top of the pole would be a better mount, and actually let me attach a mast to achieve the ultimate 10 meter height for the sensor.

What have you done to mount your anemometer to the top of your pole?
That plastic mount is FAR stronger than the wind cups or vane. If the mount breaks, the other stuff went way first.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »
It was 8 months ago for me, so memory faded as usual.  :-(  I mounted directly to the tele-pole, I'm thinking because of the diameter of the pole I went with longer mounting U-bolt. It was a tight fit around pole whatever I ended up doing. 
Other options are available like a mounting shelf miraculon has two different wind anemometers mounted. Extending mast a few feet with another and using hose clamps, that might look tacky however. 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »
This is what the telepole needs. However, discontinued:

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=07702

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/sensor_mounting_arm.pdf

I sent Ryan at Scaled Instruments an email to see if he has any left or ideas. I would like to get mine away from pole also.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:14:16 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:12:26 PM »
Thanks, CW, good to know.

Randy, that pdf in the second link is priceless! Not sure I want the rain bucket up that high, but the basic concept has me thinking...  8-)
-Lee

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
Ryan emailed back and said those mounts were long gone.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »
Ambient weather has something that may work for extending a few more feet and not be too heavy. He carries both small and large diameter size pipe. Need 2 sets for secure mount. http://www.ambientweather.com/amweezheduma.html
Randy

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
Ambient weather has something that may work for extending a few more feet and not be too heavy. He carries both small and large diameter size pipe. Need 2 sets for secure mount. http://www.ambientweather.com/amweezheduma.html

That's along the lines of what I was thinking originally. Put a 5 ft antenna mast on the stand-off and it should add the needed extra 3 feet to get to 10m. Thanks again, Randy.
-Lee

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »
Lots of similar mounting arms out there like http://www.onsetcomp.com/products/mounting/m-caa  I'd roll my own using alu  square tube and angle stock.  Any metal place will have what you need.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »
Something else on the Ambient.com clamps the tele-pole is 2" diameter at top and the clamps say they work with 2". Hope they work, you can file the holes out larger on clamps, If they don't and make it work.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »
Lots of similar mounting arms out there like http://www.onsetcomp.com/products/mounting/m-caa  I'd roll my own using alu  square tube and angle stock.  Any metal place will have what you need.

Some aluminum stock and dremel saw you could make something similar.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 12:57:20 PM »
Using the hardware mentioned above and 5' pole for extension.
Using the 30' telepole, this mounts the anemometer at 33'.
Update seems to work well, have recorded 29 mph wind today and pole sway looks the same as always with no adverse effect. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:38:57 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 12:29:19 AM »

That looks good for an all-in-one mount, but I'm going to keep the basic station at 6 feet after thinking about this more. All these ideas are good for adding more sensors as my station gets more features. I'm still a rookie!

Thanks.
-Lee

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
Using the hardware mentioned above and 5' pole for extension.
Using the 30' telepole, this mounts the anemometer at 33'.
Update seems to work well, have recorded 29 mph wind today and pole sway looks the same as always with no adverse effect.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Your shot of the through bolts and the clamps is the perfect approach. It anchors the mount to the pole, and provides a sturdy support for the extra mast, close in to the pole. I think this is important for keeping direction readings accurate during high wind situations. (Bushman, thanks for the links to some of the hardware.)
-Lee

anything