Author Topic: Looking to save some electricity  (Read 8369 times)

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
Re: Looking to save some electricity
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
Have you considered building a pc since you are planning on swapping out parts anyway?  I bought a gigabyte celeron motherboard, a case, and a power supply for about $170.  I had it hooked up to a kill-a watt meter for about 30 mins and it peaked at 40 watts at startup and settled to about 20 watts.  http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Dual-Core-Built-In-Motherboards-GA-C1037UN/dp/B00GSQMTWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396729729&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabyte+c1037u  http://www.mini-box.com/M350S-enclosure-with-picoPSU-80-and-60W-adapter. This route also requires a p4 cable and extender to power the cpu.

What programs you have running on this setup?

Average cpu usage %?

running a HDD or SSD?

thanks!
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »
What kills me is that Central Hudson went to Albany a few years ago asking for a rate hike, because, and I quote, customers were changing to energy saving light bulbs so their profit margin was down.
The power wholesaler here is trying for that because they're losing a major industrial customer.  My thinking is that they would have a surplus of power that customer no longer needs, so they should reduce rates to encourage more consumption, or wholesale it off to other places that need it.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
I've looked at both solar and wind, but apparently, I don't get enough of either consistently to work out.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
I think this has become standard practice. Power companies run energy savings tips around here all the time, like they are your friend and helping out hoping the demand will decrease, all along knowing rate hikes will offset any loss. This lowers the operating expense making it unnecessary to find/buy more expensive power off the market. Its a catch 22 for the consumer the more you decrease usage the higher the rate per KWh goes.

My "friend" also sent me a free, unsolicited gift of three CFL light bulbs, at the tail end of the CFL boom.  They made up some excuse about being an early adopter of online bill pay, and wanting to reward me with "energy saving" bulbs.  Those who didn't look at the ratings didn't notice that they were 100W equivalent CFL's, when most people were buying 60W equivalents...and not exactly the most efficient of the 100W equivalents, either.  I should have called a hasmat team to make them come take that mercury-laced toxic waste away, :) but instead I put them in the closet as a conversation piece since every CFL in my house was already upgraded to LED lighting when they sent them.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 08:44:40 PM »
I had it hooked up to a kill-a watt meter for about 30 mins and it peaked at 40 watts at startup and settled to about 20 watts.

Power is why I went the Meteobridge route. It consumes less than 2W (17.5kWh per year) and is pretty good at doing what I want. Not perfect, but what is?

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 04:56:58 AM »

Average cpu usage %?

running a HDD or SSD?

thanks!

John,

Sorry for the delay.  I am currently running Heavy Weather, WUHU, Cumulus, and an anti-virus on a continual basis.  CPU usage sits around 20% and I am using a SSD. I have attached screenshots of the CPU usage as well as the performance index.  Overall, I have been very pleased with this low-cost, low-power PC.

Bob,

I hear you on the power usage.  I considered a meteobridge or something similar but I wanted to do more then just collect and send data from my weather station.  I also wanted to stick to Windows so that eliminated all the ultra low power solutions that I know of.  I am pretty happy about going from 150W to 20W.

Eric

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »
IN addition to the premade TIT pcs, there iare these kits:  http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-55875?ICID=single-board-topbanner-more
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
I considered a meteobridge or something similar but I wanted to do more then just collect and send data from my weather station.  I also wanted to stick to Windows so that eliminated all the ultra low power solutions that I know of.
I'm in the same camp!

Thanks everyone, and CamarilloWX, for the suggestions. I've ordered the Gigabyte Intel NM70 Dual-Core Celeron 1037U motherboard. I'm holding off the a case for now, i will stick it in a case I have laying around and see if i'm happy with it.

I figure moving my weather programs to this "Eco PC" and with the increase in energy costs from my electric company I should see a savings of about $190 a year. Plus wear on my main PC?!... maybe! :)
John Slama
Palm Springs, California

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
When my 9 year old XP computer died I purchased a new HP PC using an i3 processor and 1tb, not solid state, hard drive.  It is a basic computer but more than enough power for my weather station.  And it came with Windows 7.  When it's only collecting weather data it consumes 37 watts.  A big savings from my old computer that consumed around 120 watts under the same conditions.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:19 AM »
I received the Gigabyte Intel NM70 Dual-Core Celeron 1037U motherboard (i love Amazon Prime, order sunday eve at 7:20pm and got it monday 11am!) hooked it up to a case that had an older antec 430watt power supply and threw in a hdd and it fired up.

But the Kill-a-watt was showing as much as 73 watts! sometimes dropping to 55. I think its the non-efficient power supply. I also have the SSD that will help a bit. I have since ordered a picomico-80 PS. and the M350 case http://www.mini-box.com/M350S-enclosure-with-picoPSU-80-and-60W-adapter
John Slama
Palm Springs, California

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:02 AM »
Amazon Prime is great. Saw a story about malls closing because it was so easy just to order online and have it the next day.
Randy

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 01:54:18 AM »
Amazon Prime is great. Saw a story about malls closing because it was so easy just to order online and have it the next day.
Amazon actually gave it to the US postal service sunday night and they delivered it! Who would of thunk that USPS would be faster than UPS!  :grin:
John Slama
Palm Springs, California

Offline Dick Foster

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
From engineering and economic standpoints actually neither technology makes much sense and you never get to a realistic ROI unless you have the gubbyment subsidizing it with taxpayer dollars which shouldn't be allowed. Same kinda thing as the great Ethanol debacle.

The only promising technology for our energy needs over the the short term that I've seen and you never hear about it is Thorium. It handily solves some other stickly little problems we have too. You could easilty convert every fossil fueled plant we have running today with Thorium reactors and we'd be all set again. All you really need is a souce of heat. The steam turbines generators etc. all stay in place and work the same.     

I've looked at both solar and wind, but apparently, I don't get enough of either consistently to work out.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
From engineering and economic standpoints actually neither technology makes much sense and you never get to a realistic ROI unless you have the gubbyment subsidizing it with taxpayer dollars which shouldn't be allowed. Same kinda thing as the great Ethanol debacle.

Popular anti-environmental standpoint, but false. With zero subsidy the cost to put solar on my home and provide 100% of my electrical needs is in the neighborhood of $12,000 if I install it myself. The system has a 25-year life, minimum, or about $480 per year. That's $40 per month, which is much less than my electricity costs.

That being said, it's not all about cost either. I know some people can only be motivated by money, which is precisely why there should be stiff carbon taxes. When utility customers start paying for the actual costs of their electrical consumption they'll start looking for substitutes.

The only promising technology for our energy needs over the the short term that I've seen and you never hear about it is Thorium. It handily solves some other stickly little problems we have too. You could easilty convert every fossil fueled plant we have running today with Thorium reactors and we'd be all set again. All you really need is a souce of heat. The steam turbines generators etc. all stay in place and work the same.

Let's see that go anywhere without any government subsidies.

You know that if it weren't for government subsidies there would have been no transcontinental railroads, no transcontinental telegraphs, and no electricity and telephone service for rural customers. Even the hardest core Libertarian has to concede that technologies become less expensive as production ramps up. The whole point of subsidizing solar and wind is to speed up the process of driving costs down, and it is working amazingly well. For some reason this makes some people unhappy. I guess it sucks to be reducing our carbon footprint. Maybe because as wind and solar capacity ramp up the opportunity to sell nuclear power as the holy grail diminishes? I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:53:27 PM by LABob »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
Sorry LABOB I'm not onboard at all with the notion by eliminating our 3% CO2 fossil fuel footprint will somehow be the save all solution. Climate and what causes change is much more involved despite what the environmentalists who are insanely opposed to all energy use with the exception of bicycles, canoes, and walking are saying. 
Randy

Offline Dick Foster

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 07:00:40 PM »
Does that include the batteries and inverters or just the cost for the panels themselves. I'd like to see batteries of any chemistry run that long without needing to be replaced.

Solar is OK for some stuff but I think it's only viable if you're way off the grid. From a total cost standpoint it's not a real solution.

I'm doing strict accounting here. Soup to nuts and everything needed included not just the convenient bits like that electric car nonsense. As if the tooth fairy puts electricity in the wall socket for the electric car charger to run on.
By the time it's all said and done those electric cars are the worst possible environmental disaster anyone could imagine as they run mostly by burning coal and not very efficiently at that.

From an environmental standpoint LFTR technology makes more sense as a real solution for the so called global warming nonsense but my main concerns are the high cost of fossil fuels including the cost to not only procure them but then ship that stuff by the train load all over the country. You get the reduced carbon emissions as a benefit plus it utilizes much of what is already in place at the power plant. Replace the fossil fueled boiler with a LFTR and you're done for a good long while.   

As far a subsidizing goes we need to do less of it. Much less of it. Subsidizing airlines also helped kill off the once great railroad system we had that your subsidizing helped to create. When they quit subsidizing them, none of the airlines knew how to run a business. I used to like air travel but now rather than board an airliner I'd rather go to the dentist for a root canal. As far as economy and the enviroment which makes more sense shipping stuff by trane or by truck over the freeway system. Another of your subsidizing sucess stories.
Funny how they've killed off so many good things that we had in place with that great top level gubbyment thinking and now they're rushing to build it back as fast as they can and yes again with tax payer dollars. Who cares if they screw it up as long as they get the votes and it's not their money.   

Nuclear can work as long as it's the right nuclear. Not the idiotic light water stuff that our great gubbyment got behind in order to produce enriched weapons grade material to the max then leave us with thousands of years of a toxic waste problem. Which BTW a LFTR can help consume and rid us of some of it by converting it to useful energy. A thorium reactor can't produce weapons grade material but it can consume some of it.     

Popular anti-environmental standpoint, but false. With zero subsidy the cost to put solar on my home and provide 100% of my electrical needs is in the neighborhood of $12,000 if I install it myself. The system has a 25-year life, minimum, or about $480 per year. That's $40 per month, which is much less than my electricity costs.

That being said, it's not all about cost either. I know some people can only be motivated by money, which is precisely why there should be stiff carbon taxes. When utility customers start paying for the actual costs of their electrical consumption they'll start looking for substitutes.

You know that if it weren't for government subsidies there would have been no transcontinental railroads, no transcontinental telegraphs, and no electricity and telephone service for rural customers. Even the hardest core Libertarian has to concede that technologies become less expensive as production ramps up. The whole point of subsidizing solar and wind is to speed up the process of driving costs down, and it is working amazingly well. For some reason this makes some people unhappy. I guess it sucks to be reducing our carbon footprint. Maybe because as wind and solar capacity ramp up the opportunity to sell nuclear power as the holy grail diminishes? I don't know.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »

I'm not thrilled about Prime going up $20.  I may cancel mine when it runs out.  I don't have broadband, so I don't use any of their streaming video offerings.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »

Average cpu usage %?

I like your banner.  I want to add it to my weather friends page.

Have you ever heard of Camarillo Brillo?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »

I like your banner.  I want to add it to my weather friends page.

Have you ever heard of Camarillo Brillo?
thanks, you're welcomed to! and no never heard of Camarillo Brillo!?
John Slama
Palm Springs, California

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »

Well, let's see....where to start?

My employer was founded in 1933 by the TVA Act (A big government subsidy.  Thanks FDR!   =D>  ).  They're responsible for electrifying the 8-state Tennessee Valley region.  And their innovation with power plant and grid technology has led the industry for years.  I doubt we'd be anywhere close to where we are today if it weren't for the TVA.  First with hydro power, then coal power, then nuclear power, now natural gas and combined cycle plants.

I operate a coal-fired power plant.  We burn hundreds of tons of coal a day.  It's cheap and reliable.  It can change load to match demand.  It goes 24 hours a day rain or shine.  And with emissions technology we have today, it's nothing like it was back in the 1950s.

All these alternative energy sources are nice, and maybe they'll be cost effective one of these days.

But around here, we have plenty of electricity.  Use all you want.  We'll make more!  :D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »

It's a Frank Zappa song.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camarillo_Brillo
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 10:26:16 PM »

It's a Frank Zappa song.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camarillo_Brillo

You're taking me back to the 70's now. I loved the 70's.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline GaryStofer

• Mt Shasta on clouds
    • DIY WunderWeatherStation
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 11:17:49 PM »

So that got me looking into a small, simple, low power PC to just run my weather stuff and then when I need a full power PC I can fire up the original one. I found a EEEBox PC that draws 15 watts at max load!!! http://www.asus.com/EeeBox_PCs/EeeBox_PC_EB1007P/specifications/

Or you could get one of my standalone - WiFi based reporting weather stations. Runs on about 1 Watt and reports to Cwop, Wunderground, WX-bug, PWS-weather.

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 12:24:46 AM »
This thread reminds me of a legendary tandem college essay assignment where Laurie ponders over Chamomile tea one moment, and then in the next moment is vaporized by Anu'udrian lithium fusion missiles.  Anyway:

John I am really surprised to hear how high the power consumption is with that older case and power supply.  Like I said earlier, I am seeing about 20 watts so it would be interesting for me to see what you are using once you have the motherboard installed in the new case.

I had completely forgotten about Camarillo Brillo.  I'll have to do a little look around and see if I can find it online.

I'll stay out of the renewable energy discussion. I work in the power field and am surrounded by both camps.

Back to the topic tug-of-war. :grin:

Eric

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »
... hooked it up to a case that had an older antec 430watt power supply and threw in a hdd and it fired up.

A big PSU like that is very inefficient when lightly loaded.

The Pico will be much better. My router uses one to power an Intel dual core Atom in a M-350 case with an CF card for a "hard drive". I'm not sure exactly how much power it draws as the router is the last thing I want to unplug. But the UPS it is on says its load is currently 11.7 watts (there are also a couple of switches and a print server on that UPS).
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.